iPhone Mic Problem

Hi guys. I've spent hours searching Google on this problem and have gone around and around in circles so I thought I'd seek some help here.

My step-daughter's iPhone 7 started having problems last week. She can no longer place or receive calls; they'd immediately disconnect. She can no longer connect for FaceTime calls. Recorded videos have no audio. The Voice Memos app won't do anything at all when you press the record button. Information on the internet talked about both hardware problems (i.e. microphones gone bad) and software problems (i.e. bad apps, settings, iOS corruption).

I've tried all of the following:
1) Upgrading her phone to iOS 13.6.1.
2) Removing all the apps she had installed. (Boy teenage girls install a lot of garbage!)
3) Resetting the phone, choosing to erase all content and settings.
4) Downloading and reinstalling iOS via iTunes.

Nothing resolved the problem which left me believing that it might be a hardware problem.

Today, step-daughter #2 is having the same problem with her iPhone 8 Plus and claims it started immediately after upgrading to iOS 13.6.1. I haven't yet had time to try any of that with her phone, but it seems more than coincidental. Meanwhile my trusty, 4 year-old iPhone 6s has no problems and I too am running iOS 13.6.1.

If anyone has experienced this problem and solved it, I'd love to hear from you.

Back