Interesting video: Why buy a 9mm Conversion barrel for the Glock 40 Caliber?

I've been thinking about the Storm Lake for years but haven't bit yet. I don't shoot 40 much but still have ammo and components so I still keep it as a G23. I already have 2 G19's so I don't really need another. I'm thinking of a 10mm barrel for my G21 too, that would be fun!

I think conversion barrels are a waste of money. I'd rather just throw in a bit more and get another gun. I can buy 9mm Glocks for $325-$350 all day long. Used of course.

I agree. 9 mm although seems to be flavor of the month it's such a waste of money to build a Glock v.s just buy a used one. So many people buy Glocks just to have the latest and greatest that you can buy a Gen 2 or Gen 3 pretty [censored] reasonable. I think the Gen. 3 is the best and I have them all. I built a .357 Sig from Glock parts and had about 2x what I would have had in just buying a used one. Don't get caught in that game, Glock parts are expensive and after market parts are not as reliable.

wdn

For a Glock no. But my friend bought a new .40 S&W shield 2.0 new that was much cheaper than the identical 9 it was crazy cheap. Like $269 shipped, and then got a used almost new 9 barrel for peanuts and now has both calibers for less than the price of just the nine. It might have even been $259 I never liked the .40 platform but was sorely tempted myself. He actually bought 2 at that price and kept the other one NIB.

I bought a 9 mm barrel for a glock 27 and have not looked back. Glock is not my favorite pistol but I must admit that changeover was a breeze. Would recommend for anyone considering doing this.

Originally Posted by wdn
For a Glock no. But my friend bought a new .40 S&W shield 2.0 new that was much cheaper than the identical 9 it was crazy cheap. Like $269 shipped, and then got a used almost new 9 barrel for peanuts and now has both calibers for less than the price of just the nine. It might have even been $259 I never liked the .40 platform but was sorely tempted myself. He actually bought 2 at that price and kept the other one NIB.
Don't you need new magazines as well?

Originally Posted by JasonC
The .40S&W was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. The only thing that it does more than the 9mm is cost more and have more recoil.
Eh, that's the conventional wisdom. But .40 is a more powerful, larger round, with a lot of bullet weights offered. Plus, it gave rise to one of my favorite calibers - .357 SIG.

The .40 has never had better real world ballistics than the 9mm. It's named .40 Short and Weak for a reason. The 10mm now is another story and a fantastic round. Agreed, the .357 round is probably the ultimate 9mm Magnum round. quote=john_pifer]
The .40S&W was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. The only thing that it does more than the 9mm is cost more and have more recoil.
Eh, that's the conventional wisdom. But .40 is a more powerful, larger round, with a lot of bullet weights offered. Plus, it gave rise to one of my favorite calibers - .357 SIG. [/quote]

The .40 has never had better real world ballistics than the 9mm. It's named .40 Short and Weak for a reason. The 10mm now is another story and a fantastic round. Agreed, the .357 round is probably the ultimate 9mm Magnum round. quote=john_pifer]
Eh, that's the conventional wisdom. But .40 is a more powerful, larger round, with a lot of bullet weights offered. Plus, it gave rise to one of my favorite calibers - .357 SIG.
[/quote] It can be debated, but we won't get into the caliber wars here. They're both viable rounds, and, like it's been mentioned, exceptional deals can be had on .40 pistols.