Interesting Test of European Combination Wrenches

On today's episode we test the top request brands of combination wrench spanners from USA and Europe including Bahco, Gedore, Stahwille, Hazet, Wera, Beta, King ****, Snap-On, Mac tools, Proto, Cornwell and Williams.

I still use a Metrinch set that I purchased around 2002 or so...One set that works on SAE and Metric....Back when I purchased them some cars had a combination of SAE and metric bolts on there vehicles...They still work great and is my go to set..

He is testing the open end of the wrenches which IMO is a bit crazy, the Hazet did okay but the Stahlwille rounded the fastener and no wonder, it is a very slim wrench at the open end and short pattern he also used a wrench extender which is not using the tool as intended. The Hazet is thicker and longer so it handles more force. They did not test the ring side of any wrenches which IMO would be a more valid test as I cant remember ever using the open end to break tight stuff loose. I have owned both for decades and never had any issues with either. Even in that case the second you bring a extender or a pipe into the mix you just invalidated the whole test.
These test are similar to breaking ratchets and declaring one better than the other based on that when every one of them far exceeded specs by a huge margin.

I found it really interesting but more of an "entertainment value" only.

I'm guessing I use the open end of a wrench six times per year.

..., in too many cases, to get views and increase subscriber count, which is in turn more $$$ for the channel's owner.
Here's a SQUIRREL!! :

I really don't mean to bash TTC and he/they are no doubt exceedingly intelligent -- smarter than me for sure although that's a low bar -- and he's got a sense of humor I can appreciate......BUT his timing, cadence and delivery are just off by enough that it's almost painful.

I fully understand the channel isn't there to be a comedy channel, but I can't help but think that he's SOOOOO close to the full package of solid tech AND perfect delivery that would hook more viewers and have us rolling on the floor.

Of course it's those intangible things that make great performers funny or entertaining while the EXACT same line delivered by me would make people groan and leave the theater.....

Sometimes you just have to use the open end of the wrench due to clearance issues. It's a valid test, and I suppose one should use a thicker wrench if they have a choice.

He is testing the open end of the wrenches which IMO is a bit crazy, the Hazet did okay but the Stahlwille rounded the fastener and no wonder, it is a very slim wrench at the open end and short pattern he also used a wrench extender which is not using the tool as intended. The Hazet is thicker and longer so it handles more force. They did not test the ring side of any wrenches which IMO would be a more valid test as I cant remember ever using the open end to break tight stuff loose. I have owned both for decades and never had any issues with either. Even in that case the second you bring a extender or a pipe into the mix you just invalidated the whole test.
These test are similar to breaking ratchets and declaring one better than the other based on that when every one of them far exceeded specs by a huge margin.
I suspect that if the box ends were tested, aside from a few outliers (like the king **** maybe), that they would all pass with flying colors maxing out the test which kind of defeats the purpose of a comparison test like this. Off corner engagement on box ends is pretty much the standard, even on the cheapest wrenches these days, so aside from poor tolerances or broaching I think you would be hard pressed to make a box end on anything fail even under abuse these days short of an obvious defect.

I suspect that if the box ends were tested, aside from a few outliers (like the king **** maybe), that they would all pass with flying colors maxing out the test which kind of defeats the purpose of a comparison test like this. Off corner engagement on box ends is pretty much the standard, even on the cheapest wrenches these days, so aside from poor tolerances or broaching I think you would be hard pressed to make a box end on anything fail even under abuse these days short of an obvious defect.
They say as much in the video comments -- basically every wrench would just round the fastener

Sometimes you just have to use the open end of the wrench due to clearance issues. It's a valid test, and I suppose one should use a thicker wrench if they have a choice.
Testing the strength of the open end is a valid test but only applicable for exceptional circumastances. Testing the maximum strength of the wrench (the closed end of the wrench) would be more useful to real world situations where one should be using the closed end of the wrench for high torque demands.

I found it really interesting but more of an "entertainment value" only.

I'm guessing I use the open end of a wrench six times per year.
For my standard-length combo wrenches, 80% of their use is open-end for me. I mainly use them for plumbing fittings and various other "non-automotive" applications.

TTC can sometimes be a little bit of wonder why he would put such an emphasis on the open end.Most of us realize this might not be the best way.He doesn't remind you of that.I own some Stahwille, I bought because their head thickness is thinner,perfect for my Jet Spindle sander double nut.I use my open end carefully, not like TTC to abuse and put it out there weak.And Stahwille is a German Company that their shorter compact wrenches are Aeronautical designed.

Back