Interesting pics I took of Pilot with VCM internal

Status
Not open for further replies.
lkHdTt.jpg

Snmy5N.jpg

LoWf6T.jpg

How many miles on the car? The front is dirty, thew back is clean. Looks like the back row is the bank that gets turned off in VCM. Is this correct?

In any other transverse V6, the back is usually dirtier than the front.

I hope you gave it new valve cover gaskets and iridium spark plugs
smile.gif

Looks like many I have done, I would change the PCV and the spool valve. The part with the 2 solenoids and blue plug on the rear cyl head, this one may have one on the front also (VCM 2).
These get clogged and fail without warning on engines like this, I have a half a dozen old ones hanging around that failed, when they go the engine will only run on 3 cylinders and it wipes the expensive active engine mounts out and hammers the transmission.

On these I remove the oil pan and clean it out along with the pickup tube and filter mounting pad so I can flush the spool valve passages out then manually clean the heads.

Some before and after of one of these (VCM 1 engine)

Last edited:
Cool pics. Year & mileage?

I have the VCMuzzler on my Pilot and couldn't be happier. Power from the 6 cylinders is available at all times without the shudder and lag B.S. from VCM.

Last edited:
Yes I did the same thing on some of them, its a resistor in the oil pressure circuit. I works fine and the engine runs like its supposed to but I haven't tried it yet on VCM 2.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes I did the same thing on some of them, its a resistor in the oil pressure circuit. I works fine and the engine runs like its supposed to but I haven't tried it yet on VCM 2.

I just installed VCMuzzler a week or two ago, but it's a resistor inline with a temp sensor on the one head, right under the plastic cover. Very simple to do. Makes OBD-II think the engine is around 159-164F.

Nice! What difference are you seeing in fuel consumption? Does it run better in general? It sucks Honda keeps doubling down on this miserable failure of technology.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I just installed VCMuzzler a week or two ago, but it's a resistor inline with a temp sensor on the one head, right under the plastic cover. Very simple to do. Makes OBD-II think the engine is around 159-164F.

When the OBD-II thinks the engine is running around 159-164F is it increasing the fuel mix a bit, making the engine run a little richer? Or is it running the same fuel mix as it would be when the engine is running at its normal operating temps? Thanks!

Nice! What difference are you seeing in fuel consumption? Does it run better in general? It sucks Honda keeps doubling down on this miserable failure of technology.

Didn't GM have a great failure in the 1970's with a 4cyl V8? I recall them being a headache beyond fixing.

Smoky

That was the one Trav, thanks for the memory boost. That idea was right up there with their diesel efforts of the same era.

Smoky

Honda VCM is shutting down 1 bank all the time(when appropriate) ? How about alternate shutting down 1 bank for few minutes then other bank ... Will this would reduce the problem ?

Last edited:
The original VCM 1 did that the VCM 2 uses a little different system to try and both banks into the act to some extant, they failed miserably.

I'm so glad that I got rid of our ticking timebomb! We had just under 95,000 miles on our 09 (VCM2). It had been burning oil for the last 20,000 or so miles. No more Honda V6's for me until they get rid of the VCM and the timing belt! I'll buy their 4 bangers all day!!!

The Honda V6 without VCM is a very good engine, I would even go as far as saying its one of the best but the VCM turned one of the smoothest running V6 engines on the market into one of biggest pigs ever foisted on the buying public.
I just don't understand their doubling down on this horror trip of useless technology.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The manual transmission V6 doesn't come with VCM
smile.gif

But you can't get MOST of the cars and SUV's that the V6 comes in with a manual.... The Accord coupe may be about the only one.

I have been using the VCMuzzler on my 11 Pilot (VCM 2) since May 2015 (basically when it first came out). Gas mileage change is not noticeable - at most 0.1 mpg.

Highly recommended. It is also extremely easy to install.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back