Installed new Detroit Truetrac rear end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the rear diff fluid on my Jeep last month, and few small chunks of metal came out along with drain plug just covered in metallic slime. Came with factory LSD but clutch style, and they are notorious for slowly degrading or actually degrading pretty fast, especially if you don't change diff fluid.

But after a week, I love it, smooth from start....and after testing it out it some deep snow, 4x4 not even needed. If anyone ever thinking of changing over with jeeps....don't hesitate. Also upgraded diff cover. Second picture is one of the chunks that came out, about 3 total that size.

D6CC83DF-19C1-4FDB-9E88-E1492CCE41DD.jpeg

A44E7590-CFF2-4D42-8805-205874AB14CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually a bit different I believe the Detroit locker is a bit more aggressive with both wheels spinning at the same time where this has a bit more bias, and is it better on road where as a true locker is a bit more rougher on the road. Like when turning the true track will send a bit less power to outside wheel.

Last edited:
Acts like a Torsen diff, Uses torque biasing helical gears. But in a different arrangement than a Torsen.

Have a Eaton TruTrac in my Camaro's Dana 60.....Love it!

East coast gear rebuilt the rear in my avalanche, with a trutrac. Works great. They recommended a 140 gear oil for towing.

I actually did a lot of research and I ended up using red line they say not to use a synthetic but I did a lot of research 75/90. And found along o people on fourms using it for years, even Eaton isn't sure themselves.

I had true tracs, front and rear in both of my TJs, both worked fine. Now with the Rubicon, don't need them. Still, keep up with the fluid changes, I remember changing the fluid in my last one (rear) and after 10k, it was black and thin as oil, with no exposure to water, but some off roading.

I installed a Power Trax Lock Right in the rear of my CJ-7, never need to lock the front hubs in the snow and makes the steering response better for it.

Originally Posted by domer10
I actually did a lot of research and I ended up using red line they say not to use a synthetic but I did a lot of research 75/90. And found along o people on fourms using it for years, even Eaton isn't sure themselves.

Eaton seems to be of the old school as they recommended running dino on my Eaton Posi 9.75 as well. Generally they take the approach than dino runs cooler but I believe on the TT difs they claim that synthetic may be "too slippery" and alter the torque biasing. The fears do not seem to play out based on real world experience, though.

Actually a bit different I believe the Detroit locker is a bit more aggressive with both wheels spinning at the same time where this has a bit more bias, and is it better on road where as a true locker is a bit more rougher on the road. Like when turning the true track will send a bit less power to outside wheel.

Ah. I have a very aggressive Detroit locker in my F250. It clangs,bangs and eats rear tires like they are free. But it's good to have in the mud at the dump or out in the desert with a trailer full of off road vehicles.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Ah. I have a very aggressive Detroit locker in my F250. It clangs,bangs and eats rear tires like they are free. But it's good to have in the mud at the dump or out in the desert with a trailer full of off road vehicles.

My SRT has an electric locker in the rear (which I have no control over) not sure who makes it, but it's very transparent.

Weirdly, my '04 E-350 6.0 PSD work van had a factory locker in it that worked fine when cold, but if you took it on a long interstate run it would crack & pop going around corners and make turning somewhat difficult. The aftermarket Eaton in my F-450 has yet to have any trouble.

Originally Posted by buck91

Eaton seems to be of the old school as they recommended running dino on my Eaton Posi 9.75 as well. Generally they take the approach than dino runs cooler but I believe on the TT difs they claim that synthetic may be "too slippery" and alter the torque biasing. The fears do not seem to play out based on real world experience, though.

Ya, plus you can't use a mineral with FM, but any fluid that has FL or FLM or something of that nature, which redline did, but they do not have any extra additives for LSD so it's the best synthetic I belive for them.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

My SRT has an electric locker in the rear (which I have no control over) not sure who makes it, but it's very transparent.

It locks completely? As in, wheels lock together? Under what circumstances does it lock automatically?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Weirdly, my '04 E-350 6.0 PSD work van had a factory locker in it that worked fine when cold, but if you took it on a long interstate run it would crack & pop going around corners and make turning somewhat difficult. The aftermarket Eaton in my F-450 has yet to have any trouble.

When you say locker, you mean an electronic locking rear differential? Why would this ever be engaged on dry pavement?

Not sure what kind my Montero has but in soft sand and snow when spinning at low speeds like 5 mph you can feel it kick in and it takes right off like on dry ground. It is apparently an automatic mechanical one when needed.

I run Delvac 1 gear oil in my Truetrac and it works fine.

Detroit Locker, Detroit Truetrac, Eaton Posi are all different mechanism of course.

Is a good overview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back