Insta pots and air fryers

Got an air fryer from Sam's last christmas as a gift. Holy cow...the whole family loves that thing. Home made air fried potatoes are the BOMB. Air fried chicken...get the heck out of here!!! Best thing ever. Roll them in some batter....23 minutes later....BAM!!! One thing for ya'll that say it's tasteless....you got to marinate the meat some. Just taking it out of the back and throwing it in the air fryer ain't going to work.

air fryer is best for thin sliced potatoes that's in between roast and chips. with a lot less cholesterol clogging oil.

instant pot has thousands of recipes - ones I like are the exotics. Benny #1 - automatic hard boiled eggs are perfect -
no Sulphur smell and basket used to add cold ice/water to deshell.

one more for you foodies, the big steamer for fish - any and all kinds. Cuisinart - big glass container
with steel insert, glass cover and side-mounted water tank to steam fish. automatic.

each of these is easier to use than a frozen dinner in a microwave.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Tdbo
Know nothing about an insta pot, but we love our air fryer.
We like cooking chicken, fish, potatoes in it.
I have done beer battered pickles (my weakness) in one, and every bit as good as in the restaurant.
They are fantastic for reheating appropriate leftovers in. Tastes just like it came out of the fryer.
Less oil, mess, calories. What's not to like.
The cheap ($60-100) ones are okay and will hold up for awhile, but the best hands down is the Philips.
Bad news is that they are $249. new. The trick is to buy a refurb off of Amazon for $100. or less.
That's what we did and it has been fantastic. If you go for one, be sure to get one of the digital models.

Things that didn't happen. An air fryer isn't in the same ballpark as a fryer.

What didn't happen? What is your point, Biff?
You have to personally approve opinions?
I'll say it again. Tastes like it came out of the fryer
With less mess and oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WondrousBread
I have an instant pot, and it's very useful. Tons of recipes, and relatively fast cooking. I find mine never takes more than 5 minutes to build pressure, too.

Yeah, we haven't used ours lately, but that's mostly because we've been cooking things that don't really suit it, like pies and steaks. When my girlfriend was away for a few weeks I pretty much lived out of it; didn't take a lot of effort to cook and saved a lot of washing as it was all done in one pot.

Using it as a rice cooker is handy, too; we do a big batch now and again, then freeze it.

The only major issue I've had is the number of recipes that require you to put the food in a smaller pot inside the instant pot to steam it. But I bought a cheap small saucepan and remove the handle, and that works OK.

Air fryers and pressure cookers are tool's. You can't just throw a snap on wrench in the hands of anyone and expect a great mechanic. Same applies here. We love both of ours but it took some experiments to get them right.

I have an InstaVortex air fryer.

Love it.

I just bought a house that didn't come with convection oven, so an air fryer was a necessity.

I've got a Farberware "insta-pot". Had it maybe 3 yrs. I used it a lot in the beginning, but not too often now.

Not being a 10 on the chef scale, everything meat and starch wise comes out tasting like a slow cooker stew to me.

Also have a Ninja brand air fryer that Santa got me for Christmas. We use the heck out of it. They are SO handy and generally cook things in half the time they would require in a standard oven and they come out way crispier and better in general. Plus an easy clean up.

We have an insta pot, as do all our siblings and parents. Better than a crock pot in many ways, and makes for some very straightforward cooking. Doesnt replace pots and pans, but if you are OK with the food and recipes it quite possibly could be a batchellor's one pot cooking system I think.

We like it because you can do certain things, like brown meat and then cook slow or with pressure, and get pretty good outcomes.

Inlaws bought an air fryer. We never really fry anything. I dont see the point; IMO the outcome isnt as good as real frying, and we'd never use it.

I have an electric pressure cooker, terrific for cooking beans! Nice for making chicken cacciatore, anything that needs moisture. I've even made rice pudding in 4 minutes after reaching pressure.

I have an air fryer. Again, terrific! Very fast, very crispy, bbq chicken, potatoes, tator tops.

We've had an Instant Pot for years - wife uses it quite often with good results. Just last week she bought the Air Frying "head" for it, which essentially turns your Instant Pot into an air fryer. She made some chicken wings in it yesterday - they turned out nice and crispy, without the weird smell/aftertaste that we've experienced with some other dedicated air fryers that she's ordered (and returned) before.

Last edited:
Both great and really useful appliances. We're still exploring what you can do with an air fryer. So far the results are great. The insta-pot gets a lot more use in the winter, but so far so good.

I have both. My opinion is: insta pot is great for stews, and keeping a pot of stew outside the fridge and can reheat real easily. I won't use it to cook weird stuff like pasta or baking. air fryer is great for reheating stuff without turning on the big oven, and great for cooking wings. I don't really use it to fry anything, things with dry rub will fly off very quickly and garlic powder gets burn real fast in it.

Overall they help feed my kid fast during the lockdown, but they are not miracle kitchen tools.

Back