Insane VERY late 12K OCI on crown vic police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up a police crown vic with 170K miles this morning for a flip deal
smile.gif

Talking with former "goofhole" owner car, It hasn't had a oil change since 2018 !!!! 12K miles ?? ago
shocked2.gif

So what procedures do you guys feel I should do to get a full internal clean ??

Was gonna do a oil flush with Berryman oil flush and use my Mobil super 5K 5w20 since im just gonna flip the car ??

I already picked up a MC 820S filter @ Walmart
smile.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Make sure the port and starboard running lights are working.

I would skip the additives and run a short oci to see if you really have a problem.

Many OLM's routinely run to 10,000 miles. Another 2,000 miles is not a big concern, but if you're worried, run some Castrol Dino with a fresh filter and do and early oil and filter change.
smile.gif
Having said that, you're imaging some botogger is going to come by and do a quick UOA. A guy buying a 170,000 mile ex police car probably couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Run an interval of Mobil 1 0w40 which their data sheet specifically states "exceptional clean power for dirty engines". This is due to the POE content I believe. Then move back to the proper grade.

Just change the oil. 7-12K is a normal OCI in a port injected car.
If you are really freaking out and gonna keep it for a few months before flipping, run that oil 300>500miles then change it again along with the filter.

Likely other thinks to worry about other than the oil on that Ford.

Originally Posted by buster
Run an interval of Mobil 1 0w40 which their data sheet specifically states "exceptional clean power for dirty engines". This is due to the POE content I believe. Then move back to the proper grade.

POE?

Where you are, I'd go with a 15W-40 HDEO for a couple of short runs and maybe even stick with it. Fram Ultra XG2 is also a good filter option.

buster, how do you know if M1 0w40 has polyol ester?

1 year oil change and 12,000 miles should not be a problem at all. Especially if you're going to flip the car.
Change with SuperTech conventional 5w30 and filter for flipping if you want to do the old trick used car dealers do to hide lack of oil changes: They change the oil when it looks dirty, fearing somebody will pull the dipstick and notice the black oil.

Maybe the flipping old Crown Vics isn't a bad idea if you can get them cheap and they don't need too much work. Police car auctions are around and few Vics are left. They haven't made them in 8 years!

Geez, no one has suggested you do a UOA ???

Change the oil, even use the lowest cost Supertech from Walmart and move on. You're selling the car so why do you care ? Put fresh oil and a new filter on it and it will be fine.

Originally Posted by paoester
buster, how do you know if M1 0w40 has polyol ester?

1 year oil change and 12,000 miles should not be a problem at all. Especially if you're going to flip the car.
Change with SuperTech conventional 5w30 and filter for flipping if you want to do the old trick used car dealers do to hide lack of oil changes: They change the oil when it looks dirty, fearing somebody will pull the dipstick and notice the black oil.

Maybe the flipping old Crown Vics isn't a bad idea if you can get them cheap and they don't need too much work. Police car auctions are around and few Vics are left. They haven't made them in 8 years!

I actually don't, it could be AN's. The wording they use is different than the other grades. For example: "ultra high performance synthetic basestocks". This could be AN's or POE. Either way I think there is a group V component in this oil that adds solvency to the oil and helps with cleaning.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
smile.gif

Talking with former "goofhole" owner car, It hasn't had a oil change since 2018 !!!! 12K miles ?? ago
shocked2.gif

Was gonna do a oil flush with Berryman oil flush and use my Mobil super 5K 5w20 since im just gonna flip the car ??

smile.gif

Dave

On flip cars i dont fix what aint broke. You could literally go down a rabbit hole and change the rear diff, the trans fluid, brake fluid, power steering, coolant..may need brakes, or u joints, suspension parts.. who knows.

So with that being said just test drive the vehicle and fix any issues that hurt resale value.. do a clearance oil change and send it down the road.

I'm with hallstevenson, get a UOA!

And--

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Just change the oil, you'll be fine.

Because Dnewton3 has been running 15k mile OCIs on his two Crown Vics using dino and getting good results.

^^What krismoriah72 said^^

There are WAY too many factors for us to make any solid recommendations.

Anybody ever notice on threads like these that the original poster rarely gets back to us?

Originally Posted by GMguy84
smile.gif

shocked2.gif

smile.gif

Dave

Change oil, Avoid flush.

The CarTalk guys have mentioned running diesel fuel instead of motor oil to clean things up. They said it trashed all the engines they tried it with but some others did report good luck.

put some house 10w30 in it and call it a day, or if you're worried about varnish you can always use a 5w40 diesel oil. Stop by your tractor supply and get some traveler brew, my modular fords ran smooth and quiet on 5w40.

Thanks all for your.... umm colorful imput
13.gif

As others mentioned its just a flip car NOT a keeper lol As long as oil pressure is good, no funny noises from motor. next buyer sees new oil, its all good
smile.gif

I have like 20-25?? qts of clearance Havoline/ Mobil super 5K 5w20 I'm gonna use on it and call it a day

More worried about the cleaning the engine bay and detailing it, since the prev owner was a slob and pizza delivery man
33.gif

Ill post update pics later this week when my mechanic starts messing with it

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back