Inline Water Filter for Icemaker

A quick search reveals that several companies make inline water filters that can be used for various water supply lines, including those for refrigerator water dispensers, coffeemakers, RV use, etc.

I thought it would be nice to have the water going to the icemaker for our new fridge/freezer, filtered.

Anybody have one that you particularly like? Brands that you recommend or don’t recommend?

How do you have it mounted? I was thinking it would be nice to have it mounted somewhere that is fairly easily accessible, for easy filter changes. Maybe on the side of the fridge, so I wouldnt need to pull the fridge out to change it.

I always find everyone here to be so helpful with things like this. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

The filter should last a pretty long time if all it’s supplying is an ice maker, I’d just mount it to the back of the fridge but closer to the side easiest to get at so you don’t have to pull the fridge all the way out. For instance if yours is set up like mine, I’d mount it to the left side of the fridge for easy access.

if you have cabinets next to it, I’d put the filter in one of them.

Attachments

• 294EB24D-37A4-4BCB-A843-8D83536A419E.jpeg
    294EB24D-37A4-4BCB-A843-8D83536A419E.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 37
I use two of these, one on the kitchen faucet and another on the ice maker. You will need a supply line. Amazon will recommend one.

Last edited:
Our fridge has a built in filter. The fridge reminds us to change it. Of course, it’s an outrageously expensive unit. $40 on Amazon.

The in line filter looks to be a better deal...

If you have a new refrigerator, take a good look at it and the manual. I could be wrong but seems hard to believe there isnt a filter built in.
Whirlpool is a reliable brand of filter and also part of the Kenmore (and owns other brand names) ecosystem. We have a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator, uses Kenmore or Whirlpool Filters. Doing a search online you can buy the 2 filters for almost the price of one at some online retailers and regular stores. Amazon always was more expensive then some other sites and ebay.

Last edited:
I use mine for twice the interval and still have good water pressure. Every 6 months is a scam.
That depends on how much sediment and other materials is being filtered out. When we were on City of Milwaukee municipal water (Lake Michigan) the water was very clean, here on a well not so much. Filters here get clogged in a relatively short time.

Like some above, I too keep the filter in for at least two years. Two things I look for before changing it out...first is the wife. When I start hearing "the water taste funny", I start looking around. The other, when the water pressure coming out of the cold tap starts slowing down which tells me that the filter media is getting saturated. One thing I've done and have had good results and it's a LOT cheaper, look on Ebay. Much cheaper and meet the same manufacturer specs.

I got too used to the water from my R/O system. I keep a couple of gallon jugs in the fridge so I don't have to add ice. Back when I used an inline filter on the ice maker it helped, but it wasn't super clean like the R/O water. Eventually, I just went back to making ice with cube trays so my ice could be as clean as my water. But, I have a 29 year old fridge that only has an ice maker in the freezer. Things are different when you have the door dispensers for ice and water. If my current fridge dies I'll be sticking with a basic model and I'll be skipping the ice maker altogether.

That depends on how much sediment and other materials is being filtered out. When we were on City of Milwaukee municipal water (Lake Michigan) the water was very clean, here on a well not so much. Filters here get clogged in a relatively short time.

That's a great point, I do have a whole house sediment filter on the incoming line.

I’ve never changed the filters on our fridges, 4+ years. Our water out of the tap doesn’t taste Or look any different from the fridge/ice maker and I don’t think we have a lot of solids in our water so I imagine they don’t filter much. I have heard the carbon/charcoal in them can breakdown over time but no issues with mine that I can see/taste.

if I were on a well without a whole house filter I’d change more frequently.

I've not really noticed a difference in brands, most seem to be NSF-42 rated. I use one for my ice maker, but my fridge doesn't have a water spout. So I rigged up my own with fittings and a spout and drilled a hole into my steel sink, and use a ice maker filter and 1/4" tubing to my spout.

I used one of these cheapie spouts, then a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter fitting, and a valved 3/8" to 1/4" T coming from my cold PEX water shutoff valved line, then T'd with a 1/4" push connect T from there to two filters, one to the spout, and one to the fridge. I think in total it cost me about $50 with filters and the various fittings, but it's very convenient to have that kind of spout vs a Brita pitcher, you can even fill spaghetti pots and stuff with the spout and the flow is very good, almost as good as a normal faucet.

It's just a super convenient setup I really recommend.

I use mine for twice the interval and still have good water pressure. Every 6 months is a scam.
The filter might be working, but bacteria and mold might be building up. When I go much longer than six months on mine, I find more mold in the housing.

Beware of the new GE refrigerators. They started using filters with a built-in RF chip. The fridge counts down the time, and once that filter's time is up, it stops dispensing water or making ice until you replace the filter. Love the fridge, but if I'd known that, Lowes would've kept it.

Beware of the new GE refrigerators. They started using filters with a built-in RF chip. The fridge counts down the time, and once that filter's time is up, it stops dispensing water or making ice until you replace the filter. Love the fridge, but if I'd known that, Lowes would've kept it.
Sounds like my stinkin' Epson printer. Apparently, there are "how-tos" online to force the printer to keep printing until the ink is REALLY all gone. Maybe there is such a procedure for the chip on the water filter? It's a CYA thing to prevent people from leaving an old filter in place and potentially ending up with contaminants stored in the filter entering the dispenser.

Sounds like my stinkin' Epson printer. Apparently, there are "how-tos" online to force the printer to keep printing until the ink is REALLY all gone. Maybe there is such a procedure for the chip on the water filter? It's a CYA thing to prevent people from leaving an old filter in place and potentially ending up with contaminants stored in the filter entering the dispenser.
AKA a money grab. ;)

FWIW on my Epson printers that setting is a check box in the Web interface for the printer.

Back