Informed opinions on this supposed mechanism of oil consumption?

Would you mind addressing what most people refer to (write off?) as glazed rings or cylinders? It can be in a separate thread if you like.

Sure, in what way exactly?

Glazing technically has no "verbatim" definition ( which is a problem) but for this discussion its defined as the embedment of "stuff" in a surface. ( high level def)

That's important in context to this discussion. (How it forms and why- then what to do about it)

First we must assume a properly dimensioned and finished bore with properly sized rings and a piston running true to center. ( if that doesn't exist then no lubrication or remedy known will make much difference)

That ring/wall relationship is a mixed boundary regime that seals by pressure exerted from the ring spring and force from the compression.

The oil lives in the scratches from the cross hatch and the surface finish of the cylinder holds pockets of lubrication in the asperities. ( find a video on "scraping ways" or bearings and see this relationship like we do when refurbishing a machine center). Cylinder walls work basically the same way.

Depending on a number of causes, "matter" gets not only embedded in the asperities but can be mechanically bound as the surface continuously wears and bends ( like the prong on a diamond ring)

This changes the surface finish from a semi rough one with asperities that hold fluid so there can be a very good seal to a surface too "slick" ( thus the term glazing) and the oil just gets wiped off and sealing is compromised. ( put a drop of oil on glass and wipe off then do it on a piece of wood- that's the difference)

That not only allows blow by ( affecting compression as well as sump oil) but elevated temperatures and a lot more. Eventually it will damage the engine mechanically.

"slick" doesn't always mean "shiny" but they both end the same way- improper Tribology.

There's a myriad of ways it can happen and often more than one contributing failure mode.

Problem is, once you have it- there's no fixing it except by repair.

I deal with this a lot in industrial hydraulics and recip compressors and have tried every "cure" advertised. If caught in the "infancy" there might be a small degree of cleaning the pores but once the crud gets embedded under pressure and good and coked- forget it.

Once that condition brings mechanical wear- its over.

Sure, in what way exactly?

Glazing technically has no "verbatim" definition ( which is a problem) but for this discussion its defined as the embedment of "stuff" in a surface. ( high level def)

That's important in context to this discussion. (How it forms and why- then what to do about it)

First we must assume a properly dimensioned and finished bore with properly sized rings and a piston running true to center. ( if that doesn't exist then no lubrication or remedy known will make much difference)

That ring/wall relationship is a mixed boundary regime that seals by pressure exerted from the ring spring and force from the compression.

The oil lives in the scratches from the cross hatch and the surface finish of the cylinder holds pockets of lubrication in the asperities. ( find a video on "scraping ways" or bearings and see this relationship like we do when refurbishing a machine center). Cylinder walls work basically the same way.

Depending on a number of causes, "matter" gets not only embedded in the asperities but can be mechanically bound as the surface continuously wears and bends ( like the prong on a diamond ring)

This changes the surface finish from a semi rough one with asperities that hold fluid so there can be a very good seal to a surface too "slick" ( thus the term glazing) and the oil just gets wiped off and sealing is compromised. ( put a drop of oil on glass and wipe off then do it on a piece of wood- that's the difference)

That not only allows blow by ( affecting compression as well as sump oil) but elevated temperatures and a lot more. Eventually it will damage the engine mechanically.

"slick" doesn't always mean "shiny" but they both end the same way- improper Tribology.

There's a myriad of ways it can happen and often more than one contributing failure mode.

Problem is, once you have it- there's no fixing it except by repair.

I deal with this a lot in industrial hydraulics and recip compressors and have tried every "cure" advertised. If caught in the "infancy" there might be a small degree of cleaning the pores but once the crud gets embedded under pressure and good and coked- forget it.

Once that condition brings mechanical wear- its over.
Which begs the question, how is it avoided from the outset?

Which begs the question, how is it avoided from the outset?

Since the condition has multiple potential causes ( either individually or combined) the only correct answer would be to address those causes once identified on a case by case basis.

For discussion purposes and based solely on my personal experience and peer sharing on like events ( which admittedly is not a complete and comprehensive data set and if discussing specifically an ICE I would bring in a large group of "Trav"s and get their first hand experience and revisit my conclusions)…….

It would be a 3 point proactive assault on the failure mechanisms.

I would ensure the engine is built and surfaces finished properly ( Infant mortality in the bath tub curve- no amount of weapons grade unicorn oil or PM program will compensate for a bad design or improper construction)

I would ensure my selected oil ( and change schedule) is specified for the machine as well as the operating conditions it will be used in.

I would mandate the unit be operated and maintained to the plan.

Beyond that, I am curious myself.

Since the condition has multiple potential causes ( either individually or combined) the only correct answer would be to address those causes once identified on a case by case basis.

For discussion purposes and based solely on my personal experience and peer sharing on like events ( which admittedly is not a complete and comprehensive data set and if discussing specifically an ICE I would bring in a large group of "Trav"s and get their first hand experience and revisit my conclusions)…….

It would be a 3 point proactive assault on the failure mechanisms.

I would ensure the engine is built and surfaces finished properly ( Infant mortality in the bath tub curve- no amount of weapons grade unicorn oil or PM program will compensate for a bad design or improper construction)

I would ensure my selected oil ( and change schedule) is specified for the machine as well as the operating conditions it will be used in.

I would mandate the unit be operated and maintained to the plan.

Beyond that, I am curious myself.
A bit of an ambiguous query I know but thank you just the same.

Back