Infamous aircraft accidents

I was watching Air Disasters and just in disbelief how some pilots handled the situation. Air Florida 90, United flight 173, and others. I’m glad my stepdad taught me lots about aviation and knows lots about the accidents. Do you folks recall the acccidents that happened over the decades? Thank heavens for crew resource management 🇺🇸👍🇨🇦

Arthur "Bud" Holland comes to mind. The dude was crazy.

FairchildB52Crash.jpg

Yeah, a hotshot and very arrogant my stepdad told me. Stepdads friend that’s Air Force actually met that pilot; he said he would never fly with him

I’ve read the report on every accident you list, and probably every major accident in the last several decades.

United 173 changed the industry. United pilots realized the root cause was cockpit climate and decision making. Not flying skill or mechanical issues.

United pilots took the lead in developing CRM as a result of the NTSB findings in that crash.

From Wikipedia:

United Airlines instituted the industry's first crew resource management (CRM) for pilots in 1981. The CRM program is now used throughout the world, prompting some to call the United 173 accident one of the most important in aviation history.The NTSB Air Safety Investigator who wrote the CRM recommendation was aviation psychologist Alan Diehl.

Thank You Astro. Do you remember Air Florida Flight 90? Stepdad told me he thinks if the pilot gave it full power they could have made it.

I follow this YouTube channel. Juan Brown is a 777 pilot on medical leave, and now on furlough.
He covers most crashes and in a way only a very experienced pilot can.

Sample of one of his videos of an F-18 crash

Thank You Astro. Do you remember Air Florida Flight 90? Stepdad told me he thinks if the pilot gave it full power they could have made it.
If they had given it full power from the beginning of takeoff, they could’ve made it.

If they had properly cleared the probes during de-icing they could’ve made it.

And, if they had done an EPR/RPM cross check, they could’ve made it.

So many ways to have avoided this one. So many things we changed as a result.

Well, I'm a little biased based on location, that being said

TWA Flight 800 still has me scratching my head, I don't know what to believe anymore
Sad that we may never know the full truth

AA Flight 587 seems like the in air equivalent of lift-off oversteer, on something with a twitchy rear end
A sad loss of life nonetheless

My father worked for Pan Am at JFK during Flight 103, he has a special distain for the media and how they treat people in a crisis because of it

Concorde is just plain sad from a technical angle, that we had the ability to go that far that fast, but we had to shelve it for reasons

If they had given it full power from the beginning of takeoff, they could’ve made it.

If they had properly cleared the probes during de-icing they could’ve made it.

And, if they had done an EPR/RPM cross check, they could’ve made it.

So many ways to have avoided this one. So many things we changed as a result.

Very true. I recall the crash of a small airplane in Charlotte in early 2000’s where passenger weight and luggage was a issue.

Anyone remember this crash? Young female pilot gone way too soon

Attachments

• C2C54285-20FE-4553-AABA-80D99400C9B3.png
    C2C54285-20FE-4553-AABA-80D99400C9B3.png
    396 KB · Views: 97
Well, I'm a little biased based on location, that being said

TWA Flight 800 still has me scratching my head, I don't know what to believe anymore
Sad that we may never know the full truth

AA Flight 587 seems like the in air equivalent of lift-off oversteer, on something with a twitchy rear end
A sad loss of life nonetheless

My father worked for Pan Am at JFK during Flight 103, he has a special distain for the media and how they treat people in a crisis because of it

Concorde is just plain sad from a technical angle, that we had the ability to go that far that fast, but we had to shelve it for reasons

The full truth is known.

TWA 800, straight up, was a Center Fuel tank explosion. Conspiracy theorists love that crash, but there’s no evidence to suggest anything beyond the simple explanation, it blew up from a center fuel tank explosion. People find the idea that something just blew unsettling, but that’s what happened.

Run the AC packs on the ground for a long time, on a hot summer day with a long taxi out, and you will heat up the tank right above them to over 100C, let the empty tank build up volatile fumes, with atmospheric oxygen present, and then introduce spark via failed wiring and shorted sensors, boom.

All Boeing airplanes now have nitrogen gas generators to vent the center tanks. This keeps the oxygen in the tank to a minimum. Even our 28 year old 757s have the nitrogen system retrofitted. The AC packs on those airplanes sit right under the center tank and yes, they get quite hot on a summer day.

Further, 747 fuel management procedures were changed as a result of TWA 800. All 747s had to be inspected. What we found two decades ago was shocking.

We found that all of our 747s had failed thrust bearings in the Center tank pumps, allowing the impeller to grind itself into the pump housing, and those pumps would heat up to over 150C if run dry in that Center tank...a result of the friction heat from that grinding when fuel wasn’t cooling them.

Super hot pump in empty tank full of hot fuel vapor, day in and day out, it’s a wonder we didn’t have any issues.

Until we got new pumps, with improved thrust bearings, the pumps had to be kept cool by leaving 5,000# of unusable fuel in the center tank. The engine fuel filters filled up with aluminum shavings from the impeller grinding away the housing, while we were waiting on new pumps, but the airplanes were OK.

AA 587 was a shocking bit of pilot error that resulted in the industry retraining pilots on how to manage roll, flight controls, and extreme flight conditions The FO snapped the tail off the airplane by going full deflection on the rudder and slamming it back and forth.

The rudder is designed for a steady full control deflection. Going immediate, opposite direction introduces loads far in excess of design/certification load. You’re adding the side slip load already present, and the rudder deflection load, which is increased due to side slip, and the net result is much more load than it was ever designed to handle.

The AA training program (Known, at the time as advanced maneuvers, IIRC) for upset recovery had emphasized the use of rudder as roll control and made no mention of avoiding sequential, opposite control inputs. The FO may, as a result of that training, have believed that he could slam the rudder back and forth with impunity.

Current upset recovery training emphasizes AOA control and specifically cautions against excessive rudder use.

Back