Increasing hostility on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's true and you have been lurking and reading then you should be well familiar with the habits, methods, syntax and posting style of several trolls.

Yet you strangely adopt the same methods and mannerisms as they do then come in here to complain when the facts are plain to see.

You by your own actions bear much of the responsibility for what you "perceive" as attacks ( assuming you are in fact sincere and not the original iteration of our favorite "nucular" engineer". You deliberately make it a bigger issue than it actually is (I have read the posts and seen your conduct so the case can be made that you deliberately "goad" then whine about it)

So, check your own eye too for logs.

I am well aware of the habits of many of the members here. I have never once baited or goaded in any one of my posts. I most certainly have not called anyone a derogatory name. I have asked very politely to stop and it has continued. I have never seen such conduct like this on forums before.

And name calling or making a derogatory put down of someones profession is not perceived. It is a direct attack and against the forum rules. It is nefarious in nature and in most forums is enough to get a member at least a warning.

Responding back to defend my honor and integrity is not what I would consider whining. That is a perception on your part. And I am shocked you would even call it that considering I PM'd you and you still have not responded.

Don't take it all that personally. There's a certain range of things that people are prepared to answer, and when there happens to be a momentary lack of friction test machine blog spam or cooling oil science and such, then some flushing or whatever can become attractive to keep up the rate of entries without much change to the mode of operation. That's problems of self-conception and defence and bells and whistles.
You're no nucular knob pusher yet? Never mind, we need not give up on that fact either. That's ...fluxus and flex and a change of career. You're not stubborn, uncooperative and unforgiving, are you?

Perhaps try telling them all that YOU're here to kill. Might be enough to be left alone :)

Last edited:
If someone is being hostile it is most often confirmation bias and or cognitive dissonance. Or you post anything about any kind of truck. People get into truck threads!

I can tell you all something that will lighten the mood and that is this place helped me during my loss of childhood friend to coronavirus AND was my support group for AA. There might be some hostility in here that I am certain of. Go watch the news of towns being burned down and then take a look of how minor the issue is once you get on this forum. I think all the anger is really people with good intentions trying to help others and sometimes reading a post without the verbal tone can make constructive critique seem far rasher than intended. I can handle it,dont care what people think,and until someone is buying our fuel,oil,etc their advice should be usually null and void or with a grain of salt. I do enjoy the people here. There is some knowledge,guesswork, and a dasch of humour in what people think or post. I get lots of support from certain individuals in the automotive sector as well as great correspondence with many of you here over the phone,text and emails. I will gladly take the rare hostility for its far outperformed by all the great people who contribute postive things here.

Sorry for your loss sir. I too lost my best friend of almost 40 years last month to COPD. I drove to OK from CA to be with the family. Most of us don't know what another member might be going through in their personal life.

With all these things going on around us I'm looking for assuagement and relief by chatting in a forum. It makes it difficult when an innocent contribution to the forum is met with anger and attempts to defile or uttering calumnies to tarnish ones reputation.

Good news is I am learning real quick that a few of the threads here (for some odd reason) bring out the worst behavior I have ever witnessed. I will continue to post with my positive feedback (and failures) moving forward as needed.

So how is the hostility etc. going? Better? Worse? The same?

I think it's just some members are having trouble controlling their emotions. Lashing out with name calling and super negative comments is a disservice to all of us. And I get it. It's really easy to hide behind a keyboard and attack someone. And normally (if it's an ongoing pattern) this is how they are in person. Sometimes it's just someone having a bad day or week.

An example: A few years ago I was on an extreme ride with some fellows I had met on a riding forum. The personality of one of them was not much different than on the forum. The only difference was his riding ability as an outstanding pro lever rider. Everything else about him was a poor excuse for a human being.

We got to a point on the trail where one of the riders was tanked out and could not go any farther. This idiot pro rider talked the guy into riding over his head. I begged the guy to turn back even offering to go back with him. He reluctantly continued. Well, idiot pro rider left all of us in the dust and three of us (all novice riders) had to ride this guys bike out for him. When the bonehead came back he had already had lunch at the cafe and offered to help the last hard section to get the poor riders bike over. He took the guys bike, pinned the throttle, dumped the clutch and ghost rode it, launching it into the air and laughing. At that point I took the lead and did the last quarter mile and got under a tree just furious. I was so mad my mind was racing and thinking of beating the snot out of this guy. I was in flight or fight mode. I just rode back to my truck alone, loaded up and went home.

I called him out on the forum ride report and he went insane lying and attacking all of us who knew what he did. Needless to say none of us who knew the truth ever rode with him again. In future rides I learned from others that he was a tool and to never ride with him.

Last edited:
^^^ I sense a lot of hostility in Post #108 ... 😄

That was over 6 years ago and it still ticks me off. In 8,000+ ft elevation, running down a nasty rocky section to ride bike and rider up to next nasty rocky section, get on your bike ride up to the next nasty rocky section and repeat for over 4 miles. The three of us that helped this poor fellow were so exhausted we were almost puking. I almost could not even push my bike up on the ramp in my truck.

Here is the trail with me and a young lady waiting for capable riders to give you an idea of how hard it was. I have ridden both ways on this trail and over 4 miles of it is like this:

I notice some members deliberately try to dig and dig and dig at someone they don't like, desperate to prove everything they say wrong. Instead of trying to highlight someone's ignorance, just try to clarify. As a manager of people, I find that about 90% of conflicts are due to simple misunderstandings. People hear (and read) what they want to, not what is there.

Yes I find there sure is more hostility than there was years ago sadly. I had not been here for maybe 8 years or better and just reregistered as I could not recall user name, and old email addy was long gone. First post , I ask for some info on switching oil, and some guys gets about half rude and post gets locked.

I’ve been a bitoger since 2002 ( I think ) and I don’t feel superior to anyone and don’t mind when questions come up that the search function could have resolved. I just enjoy being here and interacting, if I feel like. I am grateful for the help I’ve gotten here, both mechanical and medical. Keyboard scraps do come up once in a while but I just move to the next subject sorta like changing channels. Worst forum I ever saw was mazdaspeed3forums.org, which is now defunct. A lot of vicious keyboard warriors there.

I’ve been a bitoger since 2002 ( I think ) and I don’t feel superior to anyone and don’t mind when questions come up that the search function could have resolved. I just enjoy being here and interacting, if I feel like. I am grateful for the help I’ve gotten here, both mechanical and medical. Keyboard scraps do come up once in a while but I just move to the next subject sorta like changing channels. Worst forum I ever saw was mazdaspeed3forums.org, which is now defunct. A lot of vicious keyboard warriors there.

It is absolutely true that when other forums become or are period unhelpful..

Or, are ENTIRELY CONSISTED OF "RTFM" replies...

..that one can come here with their issue.

There are always a few isolated unhelpful, cantankerous, grumpy, etc people on any given forum. And you know what? If you either ask or confront them... They will tell you they are not the problem.

BITOG4LIFE

I’ve noticed this in several forums I frequent, and in regular life, like going to stores and such. I honestly believe it’s our countries situations right now that have got people generally on edge, and it trickles down into everyday things we do now.
The next time anyone cuts a tree down, leave the Stump.
Everybody needs a Kicking Stump in their backyard.

Nerves are frayed, cabin fever is widespread, and financial & relationship woes are high at the moment. People are lashing out here, and most of the other forums / Facebook groups I frequent. Responses have gone from "Just so you're aware, ...." to "You're a f****** moron, the right answer is.....". I've had to report a few people & have them put in group jail for a minute (not here). Backing away and giving some thought to their attitude is exactly what they needed. I don't know when it became the norm to get on an internet forum and prove their personalities / attitudes are severely lacking in polite or respectful content, but I wish people would reign themselves back in. If talking down to people or being totally disrespectful to someone who might need to be steered in a different direction is how folks make themselves feel better, perhaps an anger management class is in order. Book ahead...they may be full at the moment.

Nerves are frayed, cabin fever is widespread, and financial & relationship woes are high at the moment. People are lashing out here, and most of the other forums / Facebook groups I frequent. Responses have gone from "Just so you're aware, ...." to "You're a f****** moron, the right answer is.....". I've had to report a few people & have them put in group jail for a minute (not here). Backing away and giving some thought to their attitude is exactly what they needed. I don't know when it became the norm to get on an internet forum and prove their personalities / attitudes are severely lacking in polite or respectful content, but I wish people would reign themselves back in. If talking down to people or being totally disrespectful to someone who might need to be steered in a different direction is how folks make themselves feel better, perhaps an anger management class is in order. Book ahead...they may be full at the moment.

The issue could be extended to humans as a whole, technology has simply made it worse. So many "important people" (perhaps not every single one but. Don't get caught up in semantics and think with an open mind for a moment here) are really just Class-A jerks or whatnot that did something, somehow, in some way, to gain either a. The power they have or feel they have, b. Their perceived right to be a Steven Seagal type of individual to everyone they meet (attitude-wise. Check that guy out, he is regarded as the worst of the worst and feels be can beat Jean Claude Van Damme but. Anyways) or c. The way that they are.

We can not know everything. What we CAN know.. is how people on the internet are treated by other people on the Internet, whether they come to troll and then in that case deserve SOME hostility, or whether they are genuine and simply from a different angle or way of presenting themselves or thinking, and what is being talked about. I could say more, but I notice some improved.. "approaches," shall we say, and I respect that.

I think this place is just about civil now or from what I've seen. Haven't seen an "attack" in awhile, except for just the other day, maybe, and that does not have anything to do with today .

This place certainly has it's fair share of a$$holes. But I realized that even before making my first post. You just have to wade through them.

At the end of the day.....it's just oil.

Tell that to the person who you would swear was a paid gatekeeper.

They must have got a good talking-to. Making members leave and dissuading others from joining...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back