Increasing hostility on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. what would you think, if a cellphone company would cut off you service because they did not like the language or the tone that you have used over the phone? It's a private company! It'd be totaly cool if they could do that randomly or systemically to people. Surely that would contribute to a HEALTHIER society?

It's a private company that gets money from people using their service, so they don't care what people say or text to each other on the phone.

How would you react if you let a bunch of random people into your house and they started saying and doing things you didn't like? Would you just say "Hey, these people are free to do whatever the want to, so I guess I better not say or do anything about it." Or would you say "knock it off" and kick them out of your house if they didn't stop breaking the rules of your house.

As others have stated BITOG is one of the least aggressive forums and the mods here do a great job of culling the chaff when needed. There are other forums that stay off the rails to the point where one can wonder if anyone is moderating it or if they have simply thrown up their hands.

By and large I think most here are civil, but there are a few here that seem to take pleasure in pounding on newbies or who have a major in arrogance with a double minor in superiority and feel the need to display it more often than they should.
True, and some people like to sound off and bust balls. The ignore feature works well for them.

True, and some people like to sound off and bust balls. The ignore feature works well for them.
We were all newbies at one time or another but it's about how the newbie enters this site with his (her) preliminary posts. Some get into hot water immediately with unfounded claims or wild unproven statements. This is what I believe gets under the skin of some of our more knowledgeable members. I am definitely NOT one of those more knowledgeable people but I can understand why they may become a little put off. Hang around and assess before diving right in might be the best approach to becoming a long time respected member. Not saying I am one of those either. Cheers 😃

I belong to many forums and the forums that have basically un-moderated sections for NSFW and politics and tightly moderated sections within the technical areas seem to work the best. Stay away from the wild wild West portions if you don't like what you see.
Bitog is what it is.
I was an early adopter of computers and actually belonged to a Commodore 64 user group/chat in 1985. I have been around the block more than once. In all that time and in all the groups I have belonged to. There is only one person I have ever placed on ignore. He is here on Bitog. He does seem to get a free pass from the moderators. They will tell you he doesn't, I beg to differ. That being said. I have belonged to boards that thrived in the past, many thousands of members with great content and impressive technical advice. They end up getting a few moderators that are insignificant in all aspects in the real world and they end up exerting their perceived power over the boards they moderate. Fast forward a few years and these previously thriving boards are ghost towns. I like this board but there are other interesting boards on the 'net where I can spend my surfing time, so it becomes a matter of value versus investment of time. I appreciate what I can learn from others on this site but like anyone else will move on if forced to endure too much nonsense. I have been allocating less time for the VW/Mopar/HiFi/Racing boards I belong to, making the time for Bitog. Ihope the board is around and flourishing even when the ICE is a museum piece.

You can keep waving the flag of censorship, but if you think eventually it won't come for you, you are greatly mistaken.

You can make the SOP of BITOG be about censorship and right to free speech if you like. For me, I read the BITOG Rules of Conduct before I joined and found the terms acceptable. As far as I'm concerned I made an agreement with Wayne Wilson, he'd provide this place for me to come and interact and learn and I'd conduct myself in the manner he wishes.

I like how things are here so much I make a small contribution to help keep the lights on. Glad you're here and can have these conversations.

This forum is mostly about thickies vs thinnies...skin that is.
I just try to focus on the technical aspect of the posts and, as long as there aren't any insults tossed around, it's oil business as usual: heated and passionate.

I just want the ability to see how many users have me on ignore. I'd wear it like a badge of honor!!

It's a private company that gets money from people using their service, so they don't care what people say or text to each other on the phone.

How would you react if you let a bunch of random people into your house and they started saying and doing things you didn't like? Would you just say "Hey, these people are free to do whatever the want to, so I guess I better not say or do anything about it." Or would you say "knock it off" and kick them out of your house if they didn't stop breaking the rules of your house.

A business, and especially a business that is resembling a public forum is NOT a private house where on lives. Otherwise, by your logic, BITOG should be able to exclude people based on race, gender, etc - just like you choose who enters your house, right? Check mate..

I like how things are here so much I make a small contribution to help keep the lights on. Glad you're here and can have these conversations

Ooo, believe me, I like BITOG too, aside from awesome content, precisely because it's NOT a sterile, lifeless, boring place. I'm not for outright vulgar insults, but very much for a heated, even aggressive debate/discussion.

The townies with the XX,XXX 5-figures post counts that camp out here are the worst offenders. Some of them think and act like they own the place.
Huh?

I have seen some snarkiness and such but overall BITOG, Tacomaworld, local gun forums are pretty mellow compared to some investment forums with politics. What I don't understand............people with lots of posts here are the "worst offenders"? Who? Was this directed at me? I am pretty mellow.

Anyone who thinks this place is hostile...hit up the VW MK7 Golf/GTI/R group on Facebook or AWD Army etc. Holy ****. Absolutely toxic at times. This is a v. good/well run forum.

A business, and especially a business that is resembling a public forum is NOT a private house where on lives. Otherwise, by your logic, BITOG should be able to exclude people based on race, gender, etc - just like you choose who enters your house, right? Check mate..

You're missing the point. If you make rules for people to enter your house, and they start misbehaving and breaking those rules, then you have the right to tell them to stop doing what they are doing, or kick them out of your house. You never answered what you would do if that happened in your house. I guess people could just come in and do whatever they wanted in your house. Need some company, lol. 😄

I'm not for outright vulgar insults, but very much for a heated, even aggressive debate/discussion.

That happens here quite often actually, and the moderators typically let it unfold as long as it doesn't turn into heavy personal insults. Or if they deem it as "bickering", which IMO is considered "bickering" sometimes when it's really not.

Ooo, believe me, I like BITOG too, aside from awesome content, precisely because it's NOT a sterile, lifeless, boring place. I'm not for outright vulgar insults, but very much for a heated, even aggressive debate/discussion.

What is it you want? For the owners to throw out their guidelines for content and conduct on their site and let it be a free for all?

That happens here quite often actually, and the moderators typically let it unfold as long as it doesn't turn into heavy personal insults. Or if they deem it as "bickering", which IMO is considered "bickering" sometimes when it's really not.
Yeah, no need to bicker here.

I just want the ability to see how many users have me on ignore. I'd wear it like a badge of honor!!

In this case I'd be about to "like" if only I could expect you to like this ignobel liking thing.

Hello:

There seems to be more and more confrontation and hostility here on BITOG, attitudes and comments that go beyond ordinary disagreement. Some threads have more back and forth rock throwing than actual discussion about the OP's original question. A rolling coal thread went so far off the rails it turned into an HOA rant. Bright headlights turned into baseball bat revenge and prison time. Really?

Yeah, the world is a messed up place right now. But we have this tiny little "nation of BITOG", all of us here because we share a mutual interest. And yet some of our "citizens" throw rocks at each other, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until they get bored, wear themselves out, or give up in frustration. What does that accomplish?

I suspect that if all of us were able to meet at some gigantic BITOG member party, we'd have one heck of a good time. We'd meet the guy who likes thin oil and find him a nice guy. We'd meet the guy who likes thick oil and find him a good dude. We'd meet the Subaru or MB owner, often times the target of wrath here on BITOG, and enjoy a friendly conversation with them. The 20K OCI guys would meet the 3K OCI guys and laugh at some good jokes. We'd meet the user who we always assumed was a man, only to find out they're a woman! We might even meet the member we "hate", only to exchange a friendly handshake and wonder how we got it so wrong.

With respect to BITOG, why does a person allow themselves to get angry because of another person's post? You are giving that person great power over you. You are making yourself a victim!

Here's an idea. Instead of getting your blood pressure up, how about simply avoiding subjects that you know will anger you. Instead, engage in useful discussions, discussions that you can add actual value. You're not going to change someone else's viewpoints on life, and they're not going to change yours. Let the "antagonists" shout into the wind. They can't force you to listen. And with respect to the "antagonists", the ones in a perpetual bad mood, take a chill. You're wasting your time. I'm not listening.

Y'all have a nice day. Seriously.

Scott
Ok.....but I draw the line at Eagles fans. Oh....and my oil can beat up everyone else's oil.

😉

Huh? I have seen some snarkiness and such but overall BITOG, Tacomaworld, local gun forums are pretty mellow compared to some investment forums with politics. What I don't understand............people with lots of posts here are the "worst offenders"? Who? Was this directed at me? I am pretty mellow.

Pablo, you've been problematic ever since you started that epic "rock" thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back