Increasing hostility on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to go put some shots downrange because that is a good way to deal with any feelings of hostility should they arise. This is one of my happy places.

I have been here for a long time, not as long as a few other guys but nevertheless. I have made some good real friends over the years, guys who I have met and talk to often and have been a big help to me when bad things happened medically and I met them here.
I can honestly say I like the people here, I disagree with some but that's normal stuff. I am thankful for this forum.

My take on any forum is it's ok to have an opinion or share an experience be it positive or negative. Unfortunately it has gotten to the point that people have turned themselves into trolls just looking for a reaction. They do this with no basis of fact or truth.

God help you if you share a positive experience or outcome to an oil flush, type of oil, or procedure you follow that works for you. There are always a few who will make a smart ass remark and false assumptions without ever trying something that may work for someone else.

This is the one site where I told my wife: If I die, come here and let everyone know. If I get less than five likes, keep posting questions about motor flushes and battery tenders until I get banned.

I have found on any forum the best way to find out about anyones negative posts or trolling is just look at their history. Some are just having a bad day or making a joke or satire comment. OTOH if you see someone with a high post count who's last hundreds of posts are nothing but argumentative and attempts to set up a reaction, that is an indicator to simply disregard that claptrap.

I had no idea this gentlemen who made a suggestion to a motor flush was banned from this forum. I read a bunch of his posts and he had some really good feedback and had a lot of experience to offer here.

I have been a member here since 2013 and have lurked since BITOG was launched. I only recently started to post so I could share my experience and feedback. It was met with hostility and unfounded comments. Only reason I'm just now coming on here is I'm bored with an injury that has me laid up for the next year or so.

As far as Battery Tenders, I had no idea that was cause for controversy. Gosh, I will have to move over to some of those threads and share my experiences. I have been using Battery Tenders and other forms of battery maintenance since the early 90's and have nothing but good to say about their function.

I have to say, this is probably the least hostile forum I'm on. It seems most people here are calm and collected when replying to others. I enjoy the atmosphere. The fact that we all own different makes/models of cars and every thread doesn't turn into a "My ford is better than your chevy" pissing match is pretty impressive.

And I agree with earlier comments about covid, it is certainly compounding things, and people who may already not be good at handling stress are certainly going to be having trouble now.

My take on any forum is it's ok to have an opinion or share an experience be it positive or negative. Unfortunately it has gotten to the point that people have turned themselves into trolls just looking for a reaction. They do this with no basis of fact or truth.

God help you if you share a positive experience or outcome to an oil flush, type of oil, or procedure you follow that works for you. There are always a few who will make a smart ass remark and false assumptions without ever trying something that may work for someone else.

Unfortunately, personal anecdotes without tangible evidence are not "facts or truth". This goes for all claims that lack a data component, be it the butt dyno, "smooth", "peppy"...etc. Yes, some members come across a bit crass when addressing those types of claims but it doesn't make their contesting the validity of those anecdotes inappropriate. Admittedly, the lack of tact often discourages civil debate which of course would likely be beneficial.

Some examples of these claims, in no particular order:
- Upper cylinder lube is beneficial
- ATF in the oil aides in cleaning
- More of *insert additive* makes the oil better
- I picked up x MPG going from *insert brand of oil* to *insert brand of oil*

This is exasperated by the fact that once a person has invested in a product, process or procedure and crafted a belief, objectivity goes out the window. There are guys religiously dumping in Lucas, which is nothing more than insanely heavy low grade bright stock with some tackifier in it into oils that may have cost millions of dollars to develop, passed myriad OEM testing regiments that guarantee a level of performance based on actual tear-down analysis, and think that they are making that product better, and will claim as much.

Behind a lot of hand waving there's typically very little if any substance. Calling that out sometimes offends people. Lots of people made all kinds of wild claims about MMO for example, and some still do, despite Molakule posting an actual chemical analysis of it showing that it's mostly kerosene with a splash of a couple additives and some carrier. Being objective is hard. Doing it when you are already personally invested is next to impossible.

Last edited:

I have found on any forum the best way to find out about anyones negative posts or trolling is just look at their history. Some are just having a bad day or making a joke or satire comment. OTOH if you see someone with a high post count who's last hundreds of posts are nothing but argumentative and attempts to set up a reaction, that is an indicator to simply disregard that claptrap.

I had no idea this gentlemen who made a suggestion to a motor flush was banned from this forum. I read a bunch of his posts and he had some really good feedback and had a lot of experience to offer here.

I have been a member here since 2013 and have lurked since BITOG was launched. I only recently started to post so I could share my experience and feedback. It was met with hostility and unfounded comments. Only reason I'm just now coming on here is I'm bored with an injury that has me laid up for the next year or so.

As far as Battery Tenders, I had no idea that was cause for controversy. Gosh, I will have to move over to some of those threads and share my experiences. I have been using Battery Tenders and other forms of battery maintenance since the early 90's and have nothing but good to say about their function.

The first one was an obvious dig at how some of us responded in that thread. I piled on that bandwagon too, admittedly.

The second example I gave was more tongue in cheek, since I don’t recall a single ”fight” over which battery tender to get, how to use it, etc; discussions, yes, but nothing like the battles you see when someone brings up a flush! Oh, man!

Unfortunately, personal anecdotes without tangible evidence are not "facts or truth". This goes for all claims that lack a data component, be it the butt dyno, "smooth", "peppy"...etc. Yes, some members come across a bit crass when addressing those types of claims but it doesn't make their contesting the validity of those anecdotes inappropriate. Admittedly, the lack of tact often discourages civil debate which of course would likely be beneficial.

Some examples of these claims, in no particular order:
- Upper cylinder lube is beneficial
- ATF in the oil aides in cleaning
- More of *insert additive* makes the oil better
- I picked up x MPG going from *insert brand of oil* to *insert brand of oil*

This is exasperated by the fact that once a person has invested in a product, process or procedure and crafted a belief, objectivity goes out the window. There are guys religiously dumping in Lucas, which is nothing more than insanely heavy low grade bright stock with some tackifier in it into oils that may have cost millions of dollars to develop, passed myriad OEM testing regiments that guarantee a level of performance based on actual tear-down analysis, and think that they are making that product better, and will claim as much.

Behind a lot of hand waving there's typically very little if any substance. Calling that out sometimes offends people. Lots of people made all kinds of wild claims about MMO for example, and some still do, despite Molakule posting an actual chemical analysis of it showing that it's mostly kerosene with a splash of a couple additives and some carrier. Being objective is hard. Doing it when you are already personally invested is next to impossible.

Very well said.

Looks like they put teeth into the ignore feature, no ignored posts visible when someone else is quoting the one you ignore.
People are opinionated to varying degrees is what I see "hostility" as. Some just can't relent if someone says something they don't agree with. As this Websters definition states, they often take over a board with their opinions demanded to be the norm. I see it here a lot. Boards are perfect for that kind of dominant behavior imo. I take it all more lightheartedly but can be pretty stubborn at times too I must admit. Working on it. But I am not a dominant person at all.

Looks like they put teeth into the ignore feature, no ignored posts visible when someone else is quoting the one you ignore.
People are opinionated to varying degrees is what I see "hostility" as. Some just can't relent if someone says something they don't agree with. As this Websters definition states, they often take over a board with their opinions demanded to be the norm. I see it here a lot. Boards are perfect for that kind of dominant behavior imo. I take it all more lightheartedly but can be pretty stubborn at times too I must admit. Working on it. But I am not a dominant person at all. There is also an element of bullying here, which imo should be curtailed sharply. Bullying of course goes hand in hand with domination.

What is horrible on any forum is when someones honesty and integrity is attacked, then called names, and outright cyberbullying. The mind blower is this is done by grown adults. Heck if someone chooses to not believe someone then post your concern and simply move on. Instead it gets really really bad and met with hostility I have never experienced on any forum.

I was caught completely off guard on a flush thread. I had no clue that so many members would attack and pounce when I'm being nothing but polite. I even got caught up in it by trying to remind them it's not right to do attacks or troll a member. It was met with more hostility and comments that have nothing to do with an oil flush.

It's almost as if some members don't want to even listen to someones positive outcome to anything that does not agree with their opinion. I have been a member here since 2013 and have been lurking since BITOG started.

I am here to learn and share like most members. It seems it's the same few dozen or so here that make it bad for the rest of the members.

It's almost as if some members don't want to even listen to someones positive outcome to anything that does not agree with their opinion. I have been a member here since 2013 and have been lurking since BITOG started.

If that's true and you have been lurking and reading then you should be well familiar with the habits, methods, syntax and posting style of several trolls.

Yet you strangely adopt the same methods and mannerisms as they do then come in here to complain when the facts are plain to see.

You by your own actions bear much of the responsibility for what you "perceive" as attacks ( assuming you are in fact sincere and not the original iteration of our favorite "nucular" engineer". You deliberately make it a bigger issue than it actually is (I have read the posts and seen your conduct so the case can be made that you deliberately "goad" then whine about it)

So, check your own eye too for logs.

I'm about to go put some shots downrange because that is a good way to deal with any feelings of hostility should they arise. This is one of my happy places.
Agree … and folks could be more thoughtful of “triggers” … if a poster puts LoL as first thing in a reply to a serious comment … that’s way, way, different from LoL at the end of light hearted reply …

I was caught completely off guard on a flush thread. I had no clue that so many members would attack and pounce when I'm being nothing but polite. I even got caught up in it by trying to remind them it's not right to do attacks or troll a member. It was met with more hostility and comments that have nothing to do with an oil flush.
For sure!
4fri4x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back