Impact Sockets - Regular or Deep Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Milwaukee impact wrench and want to get some metric sockets. If you could only have one set, would you choose a regular set or deep well?

I should note that I have never used an impact wrench, so I am not totally sure how often I will use it. Mostly for tires, but I do try to do some misc. auto work - brakes, etc. I already have a set of tire lug sockets.

BTW - I am considering a set of IRs and SKs.

Thanks....JK

Nice. I don't use mine often, but when you do it really makes things easier, especially on brake jobs, and pays for itself pretty quickly doing brakes. If I didn't have it, I'd probably be paying someone else to rotate tires as well.

Of course, I'd say if I could only have one set it would be deep well. I have a relatively-cheap set of Stanley deep wells that have done the job. Of course, spending more will get you a thinner wall which could come in handy, and a little more peace of mind when you're hammering away on something with your face six inches from the socket.

Deep.

Shallow are good for smaller bolts and where you need clearance, but deep sockets are saviors for those hard-to-reach bolts and will let you get a better grip on nuts threaded far down a blind bolt/stud.

Ya. If the overhead clearance is a going to be a problem, the impact gun itself will be in it's own way more than an extra couple inches of socket.

So deep well it will be. Any thoughts on IR or SK? The IR do cost less and I think have a lifetime warranty. Thanks all!

Originally Posted By: jackkpts
So deep well it will be. Any thoughts on IR or SK? The IR do cost less and I think have a lifetime warranty. Thanks all!

The odds of breaking an impact socket are very long so I'd just get the cheaper set.

I only use deep impact sockets for wheel nut - you can get 2 standard wheelnuts into the socket,so are fast in that case.I use deep impact sockets in 3/8 because they are good to use with an air ratchet.

I would get the deep sockets if possible, but I will say that I have a set of deep/regular depth HF sockets that I have never had a bit of trouble with and a friend of mine also has the same set with the same results. The down side to them though is that they have fairly thick walls on them. For me if you have a HF store nearby I would buy that first and then go for a thinwall set as you find out what you need for sure.

Well, I picked up a couple sets today from Northern Tool. They had 10 piece standard and metric deep well sets on sale for $15. Thought they were worth a try. Good ratings/reviews from other users on their website.

K-Tool and Grey Pneumatic are both excellent less than premium tools. For automotive (though with reservations) I'd probably go with deep. Consider wether most of your applications will have a accessable head, or nut. Accessable heads, shallow are ideal. Accessable nuts usually means a "tail" of the bolt sticking through that must be straddled by the socket, requiring deep sockets.

Bob

I have a set of deep Stanley impact sockets from Wal Mart, the black ones. Haven't had a problem with any yet, and I use them on my impact all the time.

And Stanleys return policy is the best. I've had a couple ratches go bad, I just called them, and they sent new ones, no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back