I'm looking for a 2017 Camry LE in Pgh. PA area

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at 2017 Toyota Camry LE with less than 15K miles and preferably less than 10 K miles. I though I found my next car last week. 2017 Camry LE 8,300 miles on it, clean car fax no wrecks and regular oil changes at dealer, and initially sold at the same dealer who serviced and now had it listed. And only 28 miles away.

Someone snatched it up before I got there to take it for a test ride.

Anyhow, I am seriously looking at 2017, and may even consider a 2016, or a 2015 if the miles are low and the price is right.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything I should be careful to check for when test driving one in the future?

What is it you want from this one that you can't get from new? A less complex powertrain?

No experience with 2017, but I'd say don't overlook the 2018. Chances are you could find a used one at fair, or comparable prices. The '18 is a sportier ride, very nice handling and reliable as Toyotas come. Bought one for the wife, currently 16k miles and no issues at all. Nice driving experience.

You can pick up a used 2019 Camry from Hertz Car Sales Pittsburgh with about 16k miles on it for about $18,000.
They currently have quite a few on the lot and I found them easy to deal with. There are '18s and '17s too but the mileage is up there on those.

They are located out by the airport.

Originally Posted by Imp4
You can pick up a used 2019 Camry from Hertz Car Sales Pittsburgh with about 16k miles on it for about $18,000.
They currently have quite a few on the lot and I found them easy to deal with. There are '18s and '17s too but the mileage is up there on those.

I doubt the OP would buy a former rental car. When I rent a vehicle, I do things in it I wouldn't do in my own car like going over rough railroad tracks and speed bumps without slowing down.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

I doubt the OP would buy a former rental car. When I rent a vehicle, I do things in it I wouldn't do in my own car like going over rough railroad tracks and speed bumps without slowing down.

And you're in the Midwest...you DON"T want to see what we do in the South
lol.gif

No burnouts or J turns?

Why be concerned about such low miles? You'll only probably find one in an estate sale, or from an older person. A 2017 with 20 or 25K would be perfectly serviceable. Most will be dealer serviced. All you will need to purchase is a new set of tires, and to do some some oil and filter (cabin/engine/oil)changes.

Last edited:
I'm 6' 4" tall, and have some back problems, (both upper and lower).

I have read on the Toyota Camry forum that the 2018, 2019, and 2020 are 0.4 inches lower than the 2012 - 2017 and one post on the Toyota Camry forum said that the newer models are harder for tall people to get into than the 2017.

On both the Toyota Camry forum and other places there there are many complaints about the 8 speed transmission of the 2018, 2019,2020 having jolts when it shifts. I do notice when a vehicle does not shift properly. There are even reports of the 8 speed transmissions failing early. The 2012 - 2017 models have a 6 speed, and although it gets a little less MPG it does not have any reports of jolting during shifting, or failing early.

One post on the Toyota forum said that the 2017 has more comfortable seats than the 2018 and later years. This is a big deal if you have back problems. Seat comfort is a big deal.

The 2018, 2019, and 2020 may have a sportier handling, but sportier handling means a tighter suspension that does not absorb bumps and pot-hole hits as well and transmits the jolts they cause to the seat. This is a big problem if you have a bad back.

The LE model has a softer ride that the SE so I want a LE.

The XLE has a more powerful 6 cylinder which might be nice if you plan to drive on highways at high speeds, but almost all of the driving I do is on slower roads where I am going 25 to 42 MPH, and when I do drive on highways I am not trying to do 80, or even 75 MPH. Also I want the better gas millage of a 4 cylinder. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a very long time, probably longer than the battery life of a Hybird last, so I am not looking for a Hybrid.

In general smaller cars have more jolts when they hit bumps or pot-holes and are harder to get in and out of. That is why I am looking at a Camry instead of a Corolla.

So I am looking for a 2017 Camry LE

Do look on Toyota Nation. I believe the 4 cylinder car with the 6 speed automatic DOES suffer from premature torque converter clutch failure. The transmission for the 6 cylinder car, still a 6 speed automatic, does not have this same problem. The nature of the problem is that when NOT in Sport mode the torque converter clutch goes into a partially-locked mode at certain points in time. This effectively acts like another gear to shift to... but it hammers the torque converter to its detriment. And when it fails, it spews debris throughout the transmission (if memory serves). The way to avert this problem is to drive in Sport mode all of the time. There is no other fix for it. Again, if memory serves, Toyota did a software update - with the attempt to save the life of the transmission, but (I don't remember) it was not altogether successful in that it hurt driveability.

Obviously if you buy a used one and if the previous owner did not observe the "Run it in Sport Mode at All Times" notion (and WHY would the average Joe do this, anyways) then you may be buying a problem car.

Last comment... is that the Sport Trim version of the car has the Normal and Sport mode for the transmission. I was only considering a Sport at the time; I don't remember whether the LE version of the car has a Sport switch for the automatic.

Last edited:

Reality is majority of people just rent drive the cars with the few idiots who abuse/damage them. Not saying you are an idiot btw as what you are doing is expected design in vehicle.

Good luck finding a 3 year old car under 10,000 or even under 15,000 miles. There is this 2016 LE with 25,000 miles selling at the auction in Baltimore tomorrow. Pretty sure it's sold in the public lane as well. Guessing it will bring in the $12Ks to $13,000.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by madRiver

Reality is majority of people just rent drive the cars with the few idiots who abuse/damage them. Not saying you are an idiot btw as what you are doing is expected design in vehicle.

Ditto. Most just drive them. And for most people, they can think of one or two "idiot" moves in their own personal vehicle too--yet their cars rack up the miles regardless.

I'm really a Toyota fan. We have 3 in our extended stable of automobiles. It used to be that Toyota / Aisin-Warner had really highly durable automatics with at the very least super-smooth shifts (albeit not as intuitive downshift capabilities / behaviour as most ZF 8 speed automatics these days). However, recent Toyota automatics are decidedly NOT super reliable / long-lived in certain models. I would say a person should really research transmission durability on the specific Toyota that you're considering. Try, among other sites, www.toyotanation.com.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back