IIHS Crash pics of Full Size Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the oldest truck performs the worst and the newest truck performs the second worst
coffee2.gif

I Think one of the points missed so far is that these trucks were only traveling at 35mph. Well under highway and interstate speed limits

The Toyota performing that way isn't surprising. What's surprising and disappointing is that the newest truck on the market, the Chevy, didn't perform on par or better than the F150, Ram, or even Titan.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I Think one of the points missed so far is that these trucks were only traveling at 35mph. Well under highway and interstate speed limits

I suspect very few vehicles would look good in this test if conducted at 60mph--let alone 80! I believe the test is meant to simulate a more common situation, one that is seen more often, as opposed to a high speed sudden swerve into a wall. Much more likely to have someone pull out in front of you at lower speeds.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Proof that aluminum body structures, when well engineered, perform as well as steel.

This indeed.

The Chevy performed worse than the older Ford to boot.

One major note of our anatomy that is extremely important guys....

Your femoral artery and femoral vein runs through your hip and upper legs....

A broken femur with very hard sharp edges could easily cut the artery or vein... If that happens.. you will bleed out very, very quickly... Sad yet true circumstance where a Redskins football player Taylor got shot through his upper leg hip area... He died because he bleed out from his femoral artery.... And again that does not take long at all... You can lose enough blood in as little as 2 minutes and lose consciousness.. or if the injury is a crush injury and when that pressure is released... You bleed out very,very quickly...

Only a hip or upper leg injury sounds innocent enough... But it can easily take one right out of here.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Proof that aluminum body structures, when well engineered, perform as well as steel.

Ford has designed the cab of the F-150 to be as close to a unibody car as possible - that's why the fenders and core support on one bolts onto an actual structural member of the cab, unlike on the GM trucks, which are just hanging off the aprons. Seems like Mopar took that recipe from Ford, but uses more high-strength/low-alloy steel.

The Toyota is an old platform from the mid-2000s. The Tundra is in severe need of a total refresh. The truck itself has not changed too much since 2007.

The GM's are a mix of steel and aluminum …

A big issue in ladder frames, was getting them to where they crushed more and still offered some protection. The really old trucks ? When they hit something solid, just as well be in a tank.
The driver took the hard hit. They made them all to crush now - stuff airbags everywhere.

Having said that most collisions are at intersections and the LT's fare well when hitting a car.

Originally Posted by supton
Indeed. Makes me wonder if it's time to move on, that's kinda sad performance. [Says the guy still driving a 20 year old car--that's probably far worse for my health than this sub-standard Tundra.]

Your car is no less safe than it was yesterday or before the IIHS invented new ways to invent data.

The IIHS is an industry funded lobby group that pools money from the profits of it's insurance industry members. You know: profits the insurance companies make from denying your claims and raising your rates from minor fender benders and everyone acts like they're the word of God.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
... At a minimum, they'd position the seats in all vehicles to maintain the same distance across them. That won't necessarily mean the seat is in the middle of its adjustment or offset a fixed amount forward or backward either.
Probably at a position appropriate to the leg length of the standard dummy used in the test. That means a shorter dummy (or human!) would be at a big disadvantage in this sort of crash when the dash gets pushed rearward.

So that all means that in this particular test that particular dummy at 35 mph fared the way it did in the four trucks. Change a data point and all bets are off: 34 MPH , 40 MPH, 5'2" driver, slick roads, worn tires, a heavier or lighter vehicle in the real life off set crash.

This results of this test happened one time to each of these vehicles at a set rate of speed, in a lab against a similar weight barrier with an average sized dummy.

While this data has some value it's all self serving propaganda for insurance industry government lobbying.

You will never replicate this identical accident/crash in the real world in a million years. Stop dropping your jaws in shock everyone.

Your results will definitely vary inn the real world with a vastly different weight and size and rate of speed mix.

Originally Posted by bbhero
One major note of our anatomy that is extremely important guys....

Your femoral artery and femoral vein runs through your hip and upper legs....

A broken femur with very hard sharp edges could easily cut the artery or vein... If that happens.. you will bleed out very, very quickly... Sad yet true circumstance where a Redskins football player Taylor got shot through his upper leg hip area... He died because he bleed out from his femoral artery.... And again that does not take long at all... You can lose enough blood in as little as 2 minutes and lose consciousness.. or if the injury is a crush injury and when that pressure is released... You bleed out very,very quickly...

Only a hip or upper leg injury sounds innocent enough... But it can easily take one right out of here.

Potential soft tissue damage like this is why they also still use cadavers and not just crash test dummies.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
... At a minimum, they'd position the seats in all vehicles to maintain the same distance across them. That won't necessarily mean the seat is in the middle of its adjustment or offset a fixed amount forward or backward either.
Probably at a position appropriate to the leg length of the standard dummy used in the test. That means a shorter dummy (or human!) would be at a big disadvantage in this sort of crash when the dash gets pushed rearward.

So that all means that in this particular test that particular dummy at 35 mph fared the way it did in the four trucks. Change a data point and all bets are off: 34 MPH , 40 MPH, 5'2" driver, slick roads, worn tires, a heavier or lighter vehicle in the real life off set crash.

This results of this test happened one time to each of these vehicles at a set rate of speed, in a lab against a similar weight barrier with an average sized dummy.

While this data has some value it's all self serving propaganda for insurance industry government lobbying.

You will never replicate this identical accident/crash in the real world in a million years. Stop dropping your jaws in shock everyone.

Your results will definitely vary inn the real world with a vastly different weight and size and rate of speed mix.

I'd still rather take my chances in something other than the Tundra.

Looks rather dramatic for a fairly moderate impact speed.
I wonder how known safe passenger cars look in this test?

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Looks rather dramatic for a fairly moderate impact speed.
I wonder how known safe passenger cars look in this test?

Looks like in this test my 300 doesn't do the best, looks like it misses the rail completely. Camry did great though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your car is no less safe than it was yesterday or before the IIHS invented new ways to invent data.

Doesn't change the fact that it's not as good as the other trucks.

Originally Posted by supton

Doesn't change the fact that it's not as good as the other trucks.

This exactly. There's a clear difference in how the Tundra and the Silverado performed in comparison to the Ford, Ram, and Nissan. This isn't inventing data...anyone with two functioning eyes and a brain that can take in information can see this. Trying to explain otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back