Ignition Wire Suggestions?

I've had the best luck with both Standard Motor Products wire sets and Carquest Premium wire sets. I know you did not ask about the Carquest ones, but they are very good in my humble opinion.

I have used Standard Products for my two older vehicles. The wires were tough, the ends don't pull off, thick boots and the fit was perfect for my two old Fords.

NAPA Belden has always worked well for me, and they have a lifetime warranty.

Any of the wire sets you listed will give you good service along with the Belden wire sets that zrxkawboy recommended. I've used most of the sets listed along with many Belden sets and never had a problem.

Trust me here - you will like these on Rockauto:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS 10043 Blue Streak High Performance

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5952315&cc=1240502&jsn=389

I understand they miss a few requirements you listed such a being black and 7mm but these are a very dark blue (almost black) and quality is excellent. I have been switching my MSD equipped vehicles to these as well as using them in LS engines. Great wires and under $50.

All that being said, if you are only interested in your choices, I prefer the Standard Motor Products or Denso sets you listed.

Last edited:
Packard was the only reliably GOOD wire I ever used in performing 1000's of perfomance tuneups in the 70's and 80's

So #2 would be my choice if the terminal angles are all correct

_______
There are companies that make vintage appearing replacement wires with original lettering and date codes

don't know if they are any good.

search

lectriclimited

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GemStater
The application, I'm looking for the best OE grade 7.0mm BLACK set of pre-made custom ignition wires for my 1969 Plymouth Road Runner with 383. Below are five examples of what I'm looking at:

2) UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS #7802 - LINK

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

Packard
was the only reliably GOOD wire I ever used in performing 1000's of perfomance tuneups in the 70's and 80's

So #2 would be my choice if the terminal angles are all correct

- Ken

NIASE Master (retired); Bell Labs Engineer (retired) G Contractor (retired)

Any quality wire with a graphite core will provide OEM performance.

The Moroso spiral wound core uses real wire, wound in a tight spiral to eliminate radio interference. This has the added advantage of no electrical breakdown (increased resistance) over time and extended use. I've used the Moroso wires in the past with very good results. Not sure on the quality of their products today, but they do claim "made in USA".

If I were to choose among the list, I'd choose the Moroso, if only for the promise of a long lifespan.

https://www.moroso.com/pub/media/pdf/MagTune-Chart.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

The Moroso spiral wound core uses real wire, wound in a tight spiral to eliminate radio interference. This has the added advantage of no electrical breakdown (increased resistance) over time and extended use. I've used the Moroso wires in the past with very good results. Not sure on the quality of their products today, but they do claim "made in USA".

If I were to choose among the list, I'd choose the Moroso, if only for the promise of a long lifespan.

Cujet, thanks for the PDF. That helps a lot.. "350 ohms of resistance per foot" I wonder were the other selections fall regarding ohms of resistance per foot?

Cujet, thanks for the PDF. That helps a lot.. "350 ohms of resistance per foot" I wonder were the other selections fall regarding ohms of resistance per foot?

Not important unless it REAL high. The R value is part of the circuit.
This is a High-Tension SPARK not a battery cable. Different rules apply.

Mag wire may need a different coil to work right. The ignition circuit is just that
You don't go replacing "component values" willy-nilly. I've used mag wire with less than OEM performance resulting.

Like I said, I have done 1000's of performance tunes.

PACKARD wire, properly terminated with good thick silicone rubber boots at the spark plug end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

PACKARD wire, properly terminated with good thick silicone rubber boots at the spark plug end.

That's true. It's why I mentioned that a) I'm not sure about the Moroso quality today. b) that any quality graphite wire will give OEM performance, good, smooth, troublefree with a known acceptable lifespan.

In the past, I've used the spiral core wires to solve a problem. Namely the breakdown that happens with graphite over time and the inevitable misfires under high boost. Like Arco, I've been involved in plenty of dyno testing. Including camshaft development for turbocharged Ford production engines. But my experience was years ago. Both of us have our favorite products for reasons.

Today, we use coil on plug to help eliminate the problems of the past. Even then, BMW's twin turbo V8 for example, has problems with misfire under boost. More interestingly, the aftermarket solutions (which probably come from china) don't work. The BMW OEM replacement parts work well enough to tolerate a good tune,,,, for a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Mag wire may need a different coil to work right. The ignition circuit is just that
You don't go replacing "component values" willy-nilly. I've used mag wire with less than OEM performance resulting.

Like I said, I have done 1000's of performance tunes.

Well, okay ARCO. You make a compelling case. That's why I posed the question here in BITOG. Learn something new every day. So when using an OEM coil and breaker points, guess I shouldn't look any further than OEM wire. Could it be that Packard Electric was the OEM supplier for Chrysler back in the day? Lectric Limited seems to indicate this...

Now I need to decide if I want to pay the extra for money for the script... https://www.lectriclimited.com/spark-plug-wire-set-215069

Unless its a Show quality restoration car I wouldn't pay the premium.
Are these wires real pricey? If over 75 bucks just buy a set of decent quality generic black wires for 20 bucks

Just don't by any Accell junk.

You dont need this "restoration" stuff on a driver car - unless it will make you REALLY happy.

Back