Idler/Tensioner Pulleys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be replacing the serpentine belt, tensioner, and pulleys on my 2008 F150 4.6. Does anyone have recommendations? Dayco or Gates, pros or cons of either.

IMO, if this is an OE belt, replace with OE since it has 10yrs & 165K on them. You went this far on OE, why change and possibly get less.

Last edited:
I just replaced all mine on the GMC w Dayco and no problems. I have used gates in the past and it’s all good. Can’t go wrong w either one or OEM

You can use Dayco but you have to be very careful, the box may say made in Canada or USA but you must look at the bearing.
If its made in China or nothing because they turned the bearing over so you cant see it (yes they are scumbags) pass.
This means no internet order from Rock you have to see it or just go OE.
Gates blows don't even waste your time.

You don't want to be in there again for the life of the car. Get OE or an exact equivalent. OE isn't often that much more money.

Originally Posted By: Trav

How do you justify that statement?. I've always used Gates or Dayco, never had an issue with either brand.

Claud.

You got a problem with Uncle Ho and his Yak grease?
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
^Another vote for OE-just say no to Chinese bearings!

Originally Posted By: Claud

How do you justify that statement?. I've always used Gates or Dayco, never had an issue with either brand.

Claud.

Multiple very early failures on 4.6 and 5.4 engines (and others), its that simple.

Claud.

Multiple very early failures on 4.6 and 5.4 engines (and others), its that simple.

Got a link to this? I'm just curious, not trying to troll you.

Claud.

All the manufacturers for these use whatever bearing they might be able to source. Without seeing it, there's no way to know for sure. But there has to be a ton of noise and play before anything bad happens. The bearings are also usually a standard size like 6203, so they can easily be pressed off and replaced. These are so easy to change that I wouldn't overthink it.

Claud.

Got a link to this? I'm just curious, not trying to troll you.

Claud.

Link to what? I didn't read this somewhere its my own experience and I probably do more in a year than many people do in a lifetime.
Gates makes decent belts and great hoses but tensioners, pulleys, water pumps are cheap low quality parts.

Start with this..

Link to what? I didn't read this somewhere its my own experience and I probably do more in a year than many people do in a lifetime.
Gates makes decent belts and great hoses but tensioners, pulleys, water pumps are cheap low quality parts.

How's Continental? I believe they bought out Goodyear's belt business but don't know about their pulleys/tensioners. Looks like Dayco makes a kit with the belt/pulley/tensioner on rockauto.

They are all rubbish, seriously I think they all come in part (usually the bearings) from the same Chinese low rent parts factory. Any time you buy any of these you have to look at the bearing, that's the part that fails.
Don't believe the COO on the box, much of the time the pulley only is made there and the critical bearing(s) is off brand Chinese.

For timing belt components I use OE or Aisin (for Japanese) only. Look at the idler bearings and tensioner in an Aisin or OE and then look at Gates, Conti, Dayco, etc and you wont ask why its crystal clear, ditto the WP.

These companies were belt and hose manufacturers that missed the boat and jumped on the nearest bandwagon using cheap offshore parts sourced at seemingly the lowest price and sold at high profit.

49.gif

And they are greased with cheap junk white lithium.

Know guys (have way more boredom than me) who pop the seals, flush them out and add M1 grease.

Know guys (have way more boredom than me) who pop the seals, flush them out and add M1 grease.Heh heh, any time I can lube an existing bearing or ball joint...

I bought Conti timing belts and tensioners for the BMWs. Changed them every 60K as recommended. Last interval was more like 7 yrs/75 Kmiles. No trouble with belts, but about 1/2 of the tensioners were rattlers. Belt was made in Mexico. Tensioner made in Turkey, with a bearing from?
I've pretty much decided to go OEM for any parts for the Camry's. The Rat came to me with a new serpentine belt and idlers. It is gonna have to break before it gets fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back