Identifying transmission bell housing leak with transmission on vehicle?

I have a 155K mile 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport with the 4.0L engine and a 32rh automatic transmission. The transmission has a small leak coming from inside the bell housing. The leak presents itself as a drip that comes from the right side (passenger) of the inspection plate opening before running down to the bottom of the exterior of the bell housing. I've done a full fluid replacement (pan/filter and used the transmission to pump the old fluid out of the torque converter). I left the fluid on the low side of the dipstick range to try to eliminate the potential that the leak is actually just fluid coming out of the over pressure vent hole, which is also in the bell housing.

Is there a way to inspect for leaks on and behind the torque converter though the inspection plate opening without pulling the transmission out? The factory service manual has a diagram to help identify where the leak is coming from, but the drive plate covers most of the opening. I thought about buying a USB snake/scope camera that would connect to my phone, but I didn't think I'd be able to aim it very well. I'm looking for any advice on the "easiest" way to determine where the leak is coming from.

TIA

I don't think I could have it out in 45 minutes if I used a sawzall! 😆 I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm a decent amateur and have most of the tools I'd need, but I'm slow. Plus it's my wife's DD so I'd like to be ready with parts on hand so I don't have to "hear about it" if I'm not. ;)

Buy a drip pan and clean it as needed. If you have access to a lift, tools and high lift tranny jack you can remove the transmission fairly quickly for an inspection. If it is transmission fluid and it is escaping around the pump then that is where the rubber hits the road. You may also see if there is a drain plug on the torque converter that is leaking. I like the live and let live theory myself.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It is transmission fluid. I replaced the RMS and UV dyed the oil to confirm. My biggest concern is that it's the torque converter. The leak is very small, so I might just keep an eye on it until spring. Thanks again for all of the help.

Back