I heard a lot but never used any engine additives for protection and some fuel s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I have pick up truck with Diesel engine and I do a lot of trips with trailer. I heard a lot but never used any engine additives for protection and some fuel saving. What you can suggest? Or better not use them??

Nope.

Everything you need is in the oil the manufacturer recommends.

UD

You have to ask yourself these questions:

1) What protection, over and above the HDEO you're using, do you need? If an HDEO is not giving you the protection you need, maybe you need to seek out another HDEO?

2) What in the HDEO formulations are we formulator's purposely leaving out of the finished product that OTC additives can provide?

3) Do the OTC or third party additive companies provide a sufficient list of Industry Standard tests and results to prove their claims?

4) Am I changing fluids and filters often enough to deal with the Severe Service intervals the drivetrain is experiencing, especially the transmission?

Agree with the other responders about the oil. But you might want to consider a fuel additive with injector cleaner and lubricant in the summer and an additive that will prevent gelling in the winter if it gets cold enough where you have the truck (not needed in FL where you are. I have a 2013 diesel VW Passat and use Diesel Kleen additives all the time.

I have used many makes of fuel and oil additives....never lost an engine..but I dont do that anymore. Cant say it added anything much help the engines, but I guess it pacifies my mind..lol

Last edited:
Slick 50
56.gif

As far as fuel and since you are in Florida, I doubt you would need a fuel pour point depressant.

Maybe every three tankfuls, you could add Diesel Kleen or a similar product to keep the fuel system cleaned out.

If you store fuel or if you don't fill regularly, I would be more concerned about microbial buildup in your temps.

My friends who is a truck drivers told me what they usually use for truck special additives for engine and it is work good for them. They like result. And I did a research on reviews from other drivers. Bottom line there is some issues with a Diesel engine on pick up trucks from manufacture. I don't want to spend money fixing problems from manufactures.

I read a lot and talk to different people
And what? Studies says Additives what based on nano technologies really work, most effective one with carbon nanoparticles. I am not a scientist, and it seems to be hard to understand how it is really work and what is the difference. You can find a lot of topics on google about it. On our market I found just a few products. Let me learn more about them and I will update you.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Slick 50
56.gif

I've been thinking of making a competitor product called "Slick 51" offered at the same price. I mean seriously, why would you buy Slick 50 when for the same price you can get an extra "slick" (51)???🤔...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Anton_N
And what? Studies says Additives what based on nano technologies really work, most effective one with carbon nanoparticles. I am not a scientist, and it seems to be hard to understand how it is really work and what is the difference. You can find a lot of topics on google about it. On our market I found just a few products. Let me learn more about them and I will update you.

Talking to different people is nearly meaningless. The only things that would show an additive's efficacy are actual standardized laboratory tests, but for some reason the additive companies never publish the results of those tests (if in fact they actually perform them in the first place). Why is that? Why is it that the only thing you find on their websites and in their literature are testimonials and a bunch of "up to" statements? Where are the results of ASTM or ISO tests that conclusively prove a claim?

It seems like you've been here before with your nano particle additive questions/sales pitch, supported with poorly written and technically flawed Chinese papers?

Originally Posted by Anton_N

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Malo83
Slick 50
56.gif

I've been thinking of making a competitor product called "Slick 51" offered at the same price. I mean seriously, why would you buy Slick 50 when for the same price you can get an extra "slick" (51)???🤔...‚

Uh huh
Uh huh
Uh huh.

No I am not selling anything. I was looking for advise. When I ask in this chat no one answer with any useable info. And I spend time to do my research.

So, I didn't give up… and I learn what a lot of manufactures for engine additives do not want to tell ingredients they use for, they are saying this is a secret, and they can not share because of competitive. Same time they keep saying what their product unique, and much more what they never prove.
But if their product has a patent, they can share more information, more detail, not very deep, but even little more detail about what they use.
After my research I have left only two, who share the product details, what they use and how and why it will work with technical and exclamational details. They are open to public what additives included carbon fulleroid nanoparticles.
You can google a lot of information from about benefits of carbon fulleroid nanoparticles in additives for reduction of the friction losses and increase of the wear resistance
I decide to trust this information from different scientist.
Those two company is Tribotex and ArmActiv.
First is US product, second from Russia, what interesting Russian company using the patent issued in USA. Bot product use carbon fulleroid nanoparticles. Both companies claiming very interesting results.
And if first it is from scantiest from university, second from Russian scientist who first have made huge progress in nuclear research, they have always been in the forefront of scientific discoveries, and a lot of their scientists work in USA laboratories ...

Wil check more information for these 2 products. If I decide to try, I will share …

The internet is full of information that will confirm anyone's thoughts. Blueberries help prevent cancer? Sure, there are lots of articles on the Internet. Blueberries cause cancer? You will find those as well.

It's called confirmation bias.

I agree. In the end, and from a performance standpoint it is entirely irrelevant what is in the additive and it makes zero difference if the company discloses the composition or not. It also doesn't matter if it is from Russia, the US or Lichtenstein. It also doesn't matter if it has nano particles or macro ones, or if they are fullerenes (hey we made those in the lab I worked at back in the early '90s) or bucky onions.

What actually does matter is the results of standardized tests that prove it does something statistically significant, repeatable, and worthwhile to the purchaser. Once those tests are published by the manufacturer of the additive I'm all ears. Until then it is just more unsubstantiated yapping.

Now even serious organization have all information available on internet. I read topics from universities and institutions. What do you thinkcan we trust Shell or Mobil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back