I hate Florida twice a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it were me I would hang mesh screen door material in behind the grill before the condenser...the bugs just hit and fall down....instead of being pummeled into the condenser fins plugging things up...costs $9...and zero negative impact on cooling efficiency.

Originally Posted by DeepFriar
+1 on 1978elcamino's suggestion of cooking oil/spray on the front surfaces. Can't use it on Windows of course. Maybe a good cleaning and then RainX as someone else mentioned.

yep, not on the windshield, but they pressure wash off glass very easily.

Holy [censored]! A dedicated windshield coating like Aquapel or Jet Seal should minimize sticking of the bug guts. Prestone and Rain-X bug washer fluid should also do a better job than the SuperTech stuff.

Insane
frown.gif

You might try Zebs glass cleaner. Best non streaking glass cleaner I've ever used. It has alcohol and ammonia in it. Sold by the gallon .

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Originally Posted by wemay
Wow! i live in West Kendall, near the everglades and have never seen it that bad. I don't think there's anything that can help that out other than a good wash after plague is over.

This was on Hwy 60 today. There were just clouds of them, mostly in Polk, Osceola, and Indian River.

I am going to Ft Lauderdale on Sunday so I will get to see how bad Alligator Alley is
smile.gif

Good luck my friend. I hope it isn't as spectacular.

In my last job we hired a limo to take a small group to an out of town meeting. We would be getting home late after a very long day so having a professional driver would be safer than having overtired staff drive home.

On the way home we ran into swarms of bugs. Pretty soon we couldn't see out of the windshield. The limo driver stopped and sprayed the windshield with a GM window cleaner that foamed like crazy. After a few minutes the bug guts simply wiped off. I don't think there is a wiper blade that could have dealt with that mess.

Plenty of bugs is the rule in the summer on the prairies. Whenever possible people we put a screen between the grill and the radiator. Easily pulled out and sprayed off. And every once in a while the radiator is sprayed from the back side.

My Volvo started running quite hot one day (going through an urban area at low speed after a high speed drive on a very hot day). I took it to a radiator shop a few days later. They took off and cleaned the radiator both inside and out - an amazing amount came off the outside - and problem solved.

Wow thats horrible!

I'm a fan of klasse sealant, even on glass. But even klasse with spray wax on top may not help that come off. I've never seen anything like that!

I'd rent a car!

Ride home, same road and I had about 5% the amount I had going. I was going to take a pic but it started raining about 10 miles to my house and cleaned everything up.

Strongest solution of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. I always kept a bottle in the trunk of my Goldwing back in my riding days. Spray it on, let the solution dissolve the bug guts for a minute, then hose them off. Did not ruin the finish at all (and you know how fussy Wing owners are...).

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
The rainx washer fluid works pretty well. Add a bottle of 91% alcohol for extra zip
Rainx washer fluid already has methanol in it.
The best way that I have found to help with the windshield bug problem is to use Rainx glass treatment first and use Rainx washer fluid with a cup of sudsy ammonia mixed in for the washers. It doesn't work 100% but it is better than anything else I have tried. Don't overdo the ammonia because it will remove the wax from your paint in high enough concentrations.
Make sure that you get the Love Bugs off of your paint ASAP. They have acids in their bodies that will eat right through the paint if you leave them on there very long. Ask me how I know. Somewhat diluted sudsy ammonia is also effective here, but you will need to rewax after you use it.

I got pounded with Love Bugs a few days on I-95 in Central Florida. Normally I do not see that many on I-95. I always thought they stay mostly on I-75. Went to Car Wash this morning and they got them all off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back