I Hang On To My Tools.

One big way guys loose tools is when you have sons. They borrow you tools to work on their bicycle then then car and then when they move out they come back and borrow your tools taking them to their apt or house.

Of course one solution is to have daughters rather than sons.

No real solution if you have sons. We all used our Dad's tools when we were young, lost some and misplaced others.
My dad and I started giving my son tools as gifts when he started showing interest. He uses his own stuff and then if he needs something, he asks me if he can borrow it and even cleans and returns it. I feel very fortunate.

My dad kept his good tools locked in a toolbox in the trunk of his antique car. So I made do with his "second line", vise grips either alone or on the handles of nut drivers for more leverage. I wound up better for it, with more of a MacGyver lookout on life.

If I asked him to borrow something it would come with an unwanted lecture/ life lesson/ "bonding" time so I elected to sneak around instead.

Give your kids tools when they're eight or so, put their names on them... they may never use them but they can bring them to their first apartment and at least put together some Ikea furniture or something.

I hate losing tools for the same reasons as you. Also, my job requires all tools accounted for after you're done.
Another reason; just last week, after working a job with several other people, a 6" 1/4" drive extension and a 5/16" flex socket of mine was missing. After looking for them for an hour or so, they turned up in another guy's tool kit. Glad I got them back. The one socket (Snap On High Performance) now goes for about $105, the extension $27.
So I am interested in your job. Surgeon? Or prison inmate worker bee making shivs on the down low for extra Ramen noodles?

So I am interested in your job. Surgeon? Or prison inmate worker bee making shivs on the down low for extra Ramen noodles?
Or aerospace. A wrench left in a jet engine is potentially worse than a sponge left in a patient.

Or employer provides tools which are checked out of a tool room and must be returned at a determinate time.

I am with you man!, I am with you. I hate loosing tools, it drives me crazy and I have been known to search forever for tools I've lost. To this day, some 40 years later, I know where I lost a pair of vice grips and a screwdriver, they now reside underneath the cabinets I installed in the first house I bought, where I was installing a complete new kitchen. I live right behind that house today and own the houses around it, but have never had the opportunity to buy that house back. It's probably a good thing, though, as I might be tempted to find those tools.
I do HVAC/electrical work and my partner has been told numerous times not to put my tools away, because it drives me crazy to not be able to put my hands on what I need asap, but he still does iit.

I totally get this thread.I am a retired old fart that enjoys his tools.I grew up on the poor side of town.My Dad could fab or fix anything.He had SK sockets and wrenches,Proto,Chanellock Crescent,high quality,his pride.He grew up on the farm,living thru the Great Depression.My Grandpa, my Dad needed their tools to do their work.They bought quality,used it correctly,put it away at the end of the day.They some how instilled in me the value of tools and when I can't find something and I'm going from garage to basement to car,numerous times,getting oh so anxious, looking and hoping I didn't lose a tool.Finally when I'm exhausted,frustrated, my Wife says whats your problem?I tell her,'I lost a socket' She says' I washed your sweat shirt and it was in the pocket,I laid it on the washer.I didn't think you needed it as you have two of every thing'Thanks Grandpa and Dad for instilling this,but the feeling of losing a tool,O.M.G.!!!!!

I was switching my hand tool kit from a Cornwell bag to one of those Hercules open top boxes and realized I lost my Snap On 10mm chrome, long combination wrench. Spent about 40 minutes looking for it and then went online and bought one.
Not happy.

I have probably had my most used tools replace over the 23 years of working at the forklift dealership I wore them out. and they were snap on. Hand and air tools.

Back