I don't get the whole "must be low saps" thing..

Always wondered how much difference .2 makes with SAPS.
DPF's can be easily cleaned on the vehicle if necessary. Indy shops now have kits to clean them on the car. If totally blocked, it can be removed and sent to a cleaning company, usually locally, that will make it new again.
I'd rather preserve my expensive V6 Diesel engine with proper Zinc, phos etc than worry about the DPF. Besides, it's the [censored] EGR that contaminates your oil.

Originally Posted by loneryder
DPF's can be easily cleaned on the vehicle if necessary. Indy shops now have kits to clean them on the car. If totally blocked, it can be removed and sent to a cleaning company, usually locally, that will make it new again.
I'd rather preserve my expensive V6 Diesel engine with proper Zinc, phos etc than worry about the DPF. Besides, it's the [censored] EGR that contaminates your oil.

They cannot be easily cleaned. Just go visit numerous forums and you will see that cleaning sometimes work, but in most cases is just short term solution.
I seriously do not know which part of the fact that European taxis make million km's using C3 oils is not understandable? You are worried about V6 3.0ltr diesel, and my business in Europe has 10 delivery vehicles with 1.6ltr diesels that use C3 oils and have upward of 300,000km, each one of them, and still going strong.

Cleaning dpf is not easy, and not really very cheap either. At least for class 8 trucks they have flanges you can take them out, on a regular car they have to be cut out and welded back in. Cleaning them only lasts about 30-50% as long as replacing it and they can only be cleaned once, maybe two times for huge ones.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Right now, I'm running Rotella T6 in my Passat, and all I hear is people on the VW forums cringing and yelling at me because it is not a Low SAPS oil... I mean, my car might burn an ounce or two of oil on an OCI... is that really enough to hurt something??? I highly doubt it....

Do not run an HDEO in a high-performance gasoline engine, like one with a turbocharger.

HDEO's and PCMO's are designed differently with different goals.

The problem with an HDEO in your application is that it more than likely uses a hydrogenated-styrene star VII instead of an olefin copolymer (OCP) VII used in PCMO applications.

These star VII's are high-(permanent)-shear-stable but low-thermally stable, i.e. dirty, VII's. They retain their viscosity boost well in the long run, but they form more engine and turbocharger deposits, as they run dirty. They are more popular in HDEO application, where viscosity and permanent-shear stability is more important than engine deposits. A car engine doesn't care about shear stability nearly as much.

On the other hand, olefin copolymer (OCP) linear VII's are mid-(permanent)-shear-stable but high-thermally stable, i.e. clean VII's. They experience moderate permanent shear, but they run much cleaner. They are very popular in high-performance PCMO applications as well as most other PCMO applications as a result.

I discussed a nice article about the deposits caused by star and OCP VIIs:

GM turbocharger test: No correlation for deposits with TEOST 33C or moly

Therefore, in the long run, running an HDEO may cause problems in your turbocharger etc.

Of course, this is only one of the possible problems. There is no reason to stray away from a PCMO specifically designed and certified for engines like yours and run an HDEO designed with quite different priorities in mind, as in the proper VII selection I explained above.

You're right though SAPS is not nearly as critical, although higher SAPS will decrease your spark-plug life among other things, such as increasing ash deposits on your piston crowns, and a mid-SAPS oil (SA ⤠0.8%) may be beneficial over a full-SAPS oil (SA ⥠1.0%).

Ummm my Car is a TDi DIESEL... and Turbocharged so therefore it needs a robust oil. It still makes gobs of torque down low as does any diesel and would require a High HTHS oil to my knowledge as would any diesel engine. I really don't care about the DPF and emission crap because it will eventually fall off on its own after the warranty is up. I want this engine to LAST. I bought and own diesels because I love the torque and reliability of them, I don't give a darn about any CAFE stuff or EPA rule that dictates the use of totally inadequate oils just to save .000002% NOx or .000003MPG.

Right now, I'm running Rotella T6 in my Passat, and all I hear is people on the VW forums cringing and yelling at me because it is not a Low SAPS oil... I mean, my car might burn an ounce or two of oil on an OCI... is that really enough to hurt something??? I highly doubt it....

Do not run an HDEO in a high-performance gasoline engine, like one with a turbocharger.

The problem with an HDEO in your application is that it more than likely uses a hydrogenated-styrene star VII instead of an olefin copolymer (OCP) VII used in PCMO applications.

These star VII's are high-(permanent)-shear-stable but low-thermally stable, i.e. dirty, VII's. They retain their viscosity boost well in the long run, but they form more engine and turbocharger deposits, as they run dirty. They are more popular in HDEO application, where viscosity and permanent-shear stability is more important than engine deposits. A car engine doesn't care about shear stability nearly as much.

On the other hand, olefin copolymer (OCP) linear VII's are mid-(permanent)-shear-stable but high-thermally stable, i.e. clean VII's. They experience moderate permanent shear, but they run much cleaner. They are very popular in high-performance PCMO applications as well as most other PCMO applications as a result.

I discussed a nice article about the deposits caused by star and OCP VIIs:

GM turbocharger test: No correlation for deposits with TEOST 33C or moly

Therefore, in the long run, running an HDEO may cause problems in your turbocharger etc.

Of course, this is only one of the possible problems. There is no reason to stray away from a PCMO specifically designed and certified for engines like yours and run an HDEO designed with quite different priorities in mind, as in the proper VII selection I explained above.

You're right though SAPS is not nearly as critical, although higher SAPS will decrease your spark-plug life among other things, such as increasing ash deposits on your piston crowns, and a mid-SAPS oil (SA ⤠0.8%) may be beneficial over a full-SAPS oil (SA ⥠1.0%).

Ummm my Car is a TDi DIESEL... and Turbocharged so therefore it needs a robust oil. It still makes gobs of torque down low as does any diesel and would require a High HTHS oil to my knowledge as would any diesel engine. I really don't care about the DPF and emission crap because it will eventually fall off on its own after the warranty is up. I want this engine to LAST. I bought and own diesels because I love the torque and reliability of them, I don't give a darn about any CAFE stuff or EPA rule that dictates the use of totally inadequate oils just to save .000002% NOx or .000003MPG.

So how many miles are you intending to make? I saw 2.0ltr TDi's you have with 600-700k taxis in Europe running on C3 oils and seeing speed much higher than your car will ever see.
I had 6 VW commercial vehicles with that engine in Bosnia running on Repsol 5W30 C3 and all made around 500k km before sold.

Yessir … One of our drivers in Europe put 745k miles on a MB diesel running Mobil 1 0w40.
No telling how much idle time too … Running good when he traded it on another MB.

Originally Posted by edyvw

They cannot be easily cleaned. Just go visit numerous forums and you will see that cleaning sometimes work, but in most cases is just short term solution.
I seriously do not know which part of the fact that European taxis make million km's using C3 oils is not understandable? You are worried about V6 3.0ltr diesel, and my business in Europe has 10 delivery vehicles with 1.6ltr diesels that use C3 oils and have upward of 300,000km, each one of them, and still going strong.

You keep saying that you saw or have seen "millions of taxis" doing millions of KMS" on C3 oil without any problems. Logic tells us that with those numbers there are lots of problems happening. You offer no proof, just hearsay. I choose to believe Mr. Stephens as he speaks facts and knowledge from years of experience with MB diesels. Personally I'm sick of your condescension on this site.

You keep saying that you saw or have seen "millions of taxis" doing millions of KMS" on C3 oil without any problems. Logic tells us that with those numbers there are lots of problems happening. You offer no proof, just hearsay. I choose to believe Mr. Stephens as he speaks facts and knowledge from years of experience with MB diesels. Personally I'm sick of your condescension on this site.

Dude, I have business in Europe and currently 16 VW's Caddy's with 1.6ltr TDI engine all running on Repsol 5W30 C3 oil.
I had 6 transporters with 2.0tdi engines also running on C3 oils.
As taxi proof. You buy airplane ticket to Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid etc. once crisis is passed, get a VW, Skoda, BMW, Mercedes, Renault, Peugeot etc. cab from airport to hotel and talk to cab driver. C3 oils are used in Europe for 15 years in both diesel and gas engines.
Personally, I am sick of your ignorance.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yessir … One of our drivers in Europe put 745k miles on a MB diesel running Mobil 1 0w40.
No telling how much idle time too … Running good when he traded it on another MB.

I was once in Croatia in E220cdi, maybe 2000-2001 model. He had some 500k km on unit. He was driving us from Split to Zadar on hwy, still managed to hit 240km/h.
Every time I hear this "argument" about zinc, no one can say how many more miles one can extract with such oil compared to let's say C3 oil? I have been using C3 oils in my commercial vehicles since DPF became mandatory in Europe, and using pretty mediocre oil Repsol which guy who maintains these vehicles use in his shop. Never had any engine component failed that is lubricated by oil or premature DPF failure etc. I used Mobil1 ESP 5W30 in X5 35d here in the US.

I hope that this topic will calm you down a little
smile.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ties-of-low-saps-engine-oils#Post4972924

@edyvw....do you have any problems with injectors in your 1.6TDi VWs?

My friend works for a rentacar company....almost all their G7 fleet was recalled.....but fun fact is that all their Audis with the same engine are working wp...

Same engine....same injectors....same P/N if you order new injector....

It seems that Audi (nothing new) as a VAGs flagship get all the best parts on a assembly line...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
@edyvw....do you have any problems with injectors in your 1.6TDi VWs?

My friend works for a rentacar company....almost all their G7 fleet was recalled.....but fun fact is that all their Audis with the same engine are working wp...

Same engine....same injectors....same P/N if you order new injector....

It seems that Audi (nothing new) as a VAGs flagship get all the best parts on a assembly line...

I had one engine only that had injector failure, but all my vehicles are Golf VI based.
I did have some back pressure sensor failures though.

Dude, I have business in Europe and currently 16 VW's Caddy's with 1.6ltr TDI engine all running on Repsol 5W30 C3 oil.
I had 6 transporters with 2.0tdi engines also running on C3 oils.
As taxi proof. You buy airplane ticket to Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid etc. once crisis is passed, get a VW, Skoda, BMW, Mercedes, Renault, Peugeot etc. cab from airport to hotel and talk to cab driver. C3 oils are used in Europe for 15 years in both diesel and gas engines.
Personally, I am sick of your ignorance.

There it is again. Arrogance, condescension, smarter than everyone else!

Everyone else? No. You are avoiding to answer the question: how many miles you will gain with oil that has more zinc? Which is the key to your argument as why you use oil that you use. At least you could say: i do not know, I just feel like using it. But no, you are immediately projecting that someone is condescending, trying to maintain appearance that you know what you talking about, when in reality you have absolutely no idea. It is easier just to say someone is condescending.
I am for years waiting this question to be answered, and all who claim that they use oil with more zinc bcs. engine wear, cannot answer this. I do not know answer to that question, so that is why I am asking.
So, here is your chance to enlighten us who do not know.

Last edited:

Everyone else? No. You are avoiding to answer the question: how many miles you will gain with oil that has more zinc? Which is the key to your argument as why you use oil that you use. At least you could say: i do not know, I just feel like using it. But no, you are immediately projecting that someone is condescending, trying to maintain appearance that you know what you talking about, when in reality you have absolutely no idea. It is easier just to say someone is condescending.
I am for years waiting this question to be answered, and all who claim that they use oil with more zinc bcs. engine wear, cannot answer this. I do not know answer to that question, so that is why I am asking.
So, here is your chance to enlighten us who do not know.

I can't prove anything about this subject. I can only go by what I read and use my judgement like you with your observations. In my case, I use Mr. Stephens statements and the fact that Ford requires greater than 1k ppm of zinc and phos and they have DPF's too. And nobody can tell me what a difference of .2 SAPS really means.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Thanks Gokhan. I've been trying to preach this for years. Very accurate...

gokhan is the man.
a true pro.

Back