Hyundais, Hyundais, Hyundais!

Whole line of little mom and pop used car lots along the I-70 service road. Most of them are sixty year old houses that were lining the road before the Interstate went through and the yards were paved over for commercial duty.

One is jammed with (mostly) Sonatas and Elantras from one of the county's two Hyundai dealerships about three miles further west. Very few SUV's although I did see a Venue jammed in. Moroney labels still in place. Know the Sonata's front end is a matter of scorn and the Elantra is about to be replaced by a much better looking car but I'm frankly surprised that this many cars would be jammed into a lot that's in front of what looks like a three bedroom house. Didn't any dealership want these?

The Hyundai dealership had already changed ownership during the five years or so that it operated and looked marginal to begin with. Remember it took some time for permanent signage to go up after the last switch.

Are these still new cars despite them not being sold by a dealer?

Wouldn't know unless I drove back there. There's about six of them in a row and they're mostly indistinguishable. The (AFAIK) defunct dealership was Hyundai of Wentzville. Assume it's gone, their cars sure are. Maybe they just unloaded part of their inventory, sure looked like a lot.

https://hyundaiofwentzville.com/

When I get on their site "Scarlett" pops up and asks if she can help me. Maybe I should tip her off that somebody swiped her cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
May be catering to the folks with bad credit or low income. Buy a used Hyundai at auction cheap and reposes it when they miss a payment and resell ot to the next sucker.

That's what Hyundai dealers were in 2000. That's what Mitsu dealers are in 2020.

Could it be that the dealer(s) are renting storage from those lots? I'm guessing the actual car lot isn't selling much and if the dealerships need space, this would be easy money.

Used rental cars.

Rental car companies have dumped inventory because of the slow down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by opus1
Could it be that the dealer(s) are renting storage from those lots? I'm guessing the actual car lot isn't selling much and if the dealerships need space, this would be easy money.

I'll try to drive by the dealership in the next few days to see what's going on.

Whole line of little mom and pop used car lots along the I-70 service road. Most of them are sixty year old houses that were lining the road before the Interstate went through and the yards were paved over for commercial duty.

One is jammed with (mostly) Sonatas and Elantras from one of the county's two Hyundai dealerships about three miles further west. Very few SUV's although I did see a Venue jammed in. Moroney labels still in place. Know the Sonata's front end is a matter of scorn and the Elantra is about to be replaced by a much better looking car but I'm frankly surprised that this many cars would be jammed into a lot that's in front of what looks like a three bedroom house. Didn't any dealership want these?

The Hyundai dealership had already changed ownership during the five years or so that it operated and looked marginal to begin with. Remember it took some time for permanent signage to go up after the last switch.

Are these still new cars despite them not being sold by a dealer?
The dealer is renting or bought an overflow lot for slower selling cars.

Here in Central Florida, lots of Hyundais on my short cul-de-sac street alone, six Sonatas and two Elantras Hyundai dealers everywhere. At least ten within a half hour drive Twenty within two hour (hundred mile) drive. I live in Mt. Dora and one just seven miles from me in Leesburg.. I purchased both mine at a dealer 105 moles from me as they give me a great deal

Last time at my second location, Rochester NY, very few Hyundais and very few dealers.

Last time at my third location, Roswell NM, VERY few Hyundais. Only one dealer. Not sure if any in Ruidoso or Alamogordo. Next closest probably in Las Cruces, or El Paso.

The Hyundai dealership near my office was using the parking lot from the mostly-torn-down Valley View Mall. There were at least 50 Elantras all jammed together in the lot a few weeks ago. They've eventually whittled the stock down to nothing.

Fleet car storage? Some of my local.dealers store fleet vehicles off site like that. Might be renting the lot and hasn't bothered to change signage since they don't actually do business on site.

I cruise my local Ford dealer's off site storage to see what they are moving every once in a while. Kind of surprising how many Ecoboost F150 they sell to fleets today. A few years ago all base V6 and 5 0 and know the 2.7EB seems to dominate based on the EB tailgate badges and rear axles (8.8").

A relative had a '08 Spectra bought used at 70,000+ miles and went well over 100,00 with no major issues . It was a automatic .

I lived in Kellogg, ID for a brief stint. Dave Smith's CDJR, which I believe still is the largest CDJR dealer in the Northwest, calls this little town home. They had cars parked literally all over town, and in some of the most random spots. They would just rent any available parking lot and throw cars on them. It's not an uncommon practice for high volume stores to do this.

Interestingly the larger of the county's two Hyundai dealers has a huge back lot that was completely empty. The small dealership had to take over a defunct used car operation.

Back