Hyundai Kona Electric in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this Hyundai electric Kona charging up today. First one I saw in the wild. Notice the charge panel is in the front.

41FA2DD7-3542-4643-8E67-2B73043A4790.jpeg

I think I'd want this over any Tesla. But for $40k, I'd want it to have an apu and be done right.

The Canadian versions and most worldwide have a reversible cycle heat pump, but not US versions along with the Model 3 which rely solely on a resistive heater. I have the same color, it's a great little car.

Originally Posted by Kiwi_ME
The Canadian versions and most worldwide have a reversible cycle heat pump, but not US versions along with the Model 3 which rely solely on a resistive heater. I have the same color, it's a great little car.

Toyota is installing heat pump HVAC in the Prius/RAV4 Prime as well. Why not expand it to all their hybrids?

I've been passing by a Kona BEV on my commute to work, I've seen a few Kia Niro EVs as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Kiwi_ME

Toyota is installing heat pump HVAC in the Prius/RAV4 Prime as well. Why not expand it to all their hybrids?

I've been passing by a Kona BEV on my commute to work, I've seen a few Kia Niro EVs as well.

This is excellent for normal weather, but once you get into the teens, it's not going to cut it.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
saw one a the dealer. they were asking $50k

What a steal! It should save $10K in fuel costs over the life of the car! Amazing! So thrift!

Originally Posted by Ws6
This is excellent for normal weather, but once you get into the teens, it's not going to cut it.
I'll never see temps under freezing but Canadian owners tell me that a resistive heater is present as well for that situation. I haven't seen any complaints from them and it's colder than 'the teens' there.
Originally Posted by Ws6
What a steal! It should save $10K in fuel costs over the life of the car! ...
Of course with our 85% renewable energy many here have the ability to recognise that low running cost is not the only advantage.

Someone here told me they thought the EV Kona was "affordable". They are about the same price or a little more than an AMG GLA, or for about $14000 less you can buy a regular GLA. I picked the GLA for comparison as they are approximately the same size.

Originally Posted by Gixxer8989
Someone here told me they thought the EV Kona was "affordable". They are about the same price or a little more than an AMG GLA, or for about $14000 less you can buy a regular GLA. I picked the GLA for comparison as they are approximately the same size.

I agree. The little Kona EV is cool, but one can buy a 1.6T Kona for half the price or less out the door. The 1.6T Kona should get over 30mpg as our AWD 1.6T Tucson gets 27 mpg average.

You can buy a lot of gas for $25,000...heck you can buy a gas Kona, a sonata, and enough fuel to power the both of them 5years into the future for $50,000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back