Hydraulic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My dad is looking to purchase oil that is a conventional hydraulic oil in ISO 46, about 2000 gallons worth. The application utilizes a Denison pump with a system pressure of about 3000 psi and the tank and system is estimated at 1800 gallons. The ambient temperatures that the equipment will operate in will be about 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit most days, and is only operated 2 months out of the year. I don't want to use synthetics because of leaks, dirty environment (hard to clean and reuse spilled oil), and the equipment is only used 2 months of the year.
The things I look for in a hydraulic oil is VI, oxidation stability, heat stability of the additives, correct additive pack to reduce varnish, flash point and cost.

Out of these oils below, what do you think is the best value (cost for quality):
1. Shell Tellus 46 - I have read that this is the gold standard for hydraulic oil and on paper looks really good, but don't give as much info as other companies do
2. Citgo AW 46 - Gives a lot of info and has a good number of 4800 hours for oxidation test
3. Exxon NUTO 46 - This is what we used in the past - has a good flash point and VI, but not much more info listed
4. Schaeffer 112 - I like this oil because of the extensive info given, VI of 100, contains moly and Varnishield, which looking at a presentation looks really good - also the oil compares very well to others
5. Petro Canada Hydrex 46 - This oil impresses me with high oxidation test number of 6500+ hours
6. Service Pro 46 - I am not quite sure about this oil because on paper it looks good, but my brother is pushing this oil because of cost and they are also short on extensive testing. I heard other products made by Service Pro are good at a lower cost because they don't advertise. Neither does Schaeffer but their prices are not cheap, so I figure the gap in price is because Schaeffer's profits margins are really high or their product is better, or both. I also found out that Service Pro is made by Warren or Citgo, but don't have any proof.

Personally, I would go with the Schaeffer because of the Varnishield and moly, but I don't write the checks.

Thanks

"Personally, I would go with the Schaeffer because of the Varnishield and moly."
The base stocks and anti-foam agents should reduce your temps and
Schaeffers hydraulic oil may reduce your leaks as well.
Schaffers hydraulic would be an exscellent choice for this application.

just my idea. if the temp never gets below 40 f i would run rather thick oil. for wear protection. also there are some additives for wear protection. but do NOT use one that uses chlorine, cause when something goes wrong it goes VERY wrong. iam NOT a oil expert, i just read a lot. just my idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back