Hy-per Lube ZDDP Supplement 6pk $13.00

I will be honest I have used this product in my engines over the years. No proof either way, good bad or otherwise. All I say is two vintage honda genpacks, a geo, champion gen, and a couple other get it every service. Used this product in two previous geos, and the current one: easy 250-300k. harvey

They state a 7% dosage rate results in:
Zinc 1700 - 1800 ppm
Phosphorous 1500 - 1600 ppm

I *assume* this is when added to a 5qt sump since most older flat tappet V8 engines hold around this amount. And 7% of 5qts is slightly less than 12oz, which is what each bottle of ZZDP contains.

So 1oz should be around:
Zinc 145ppm
Phosphorous 129ppm

I don't get their calculation; doesn't it depend on the oil's Zinc starting content?
Yes, there are a number of unknowns. Hy-per Lube states when added to SN rated oil. Not all oils rated SN have equal zinc/phosphorus levels. From what I've seen, SN limits Phosphorous at 800ppm but I've never seen mention of Zinc limits. And Hy-per Lube's final numbers don't mention if that's taking into consideration the oils initial zinc/phosphorus levels.

I mainly only use it in vehicles with flat tappet cams or vehicles that no longer have a catalytic converter. Otherwise, I use it modestly and add half a bottle.

Yes, there are a number of unknowns. Hy-per Lube states when added to SN rated oil. Not all oils rated SN have equal zinc/phosphorus levels. From what I've seen, SN limits Phosphorous at 800ppm but I've never seen mention of Zinc limits. And Hy-per Lube's final numbers don't mention if that's taking into consideration the oils initial zinc/phosphorus levels.

I mainly only use it in vehicles with flat tappet cams or vehicles that no longer have a catalytic converter. Otherwise, I use it modestly and add half a bottle.
I have 2 classics, both with their original drive trains. It would be a drag to damage a numbers motor...
If I ever pull 'em apart again, I will stab a mild hydraulic roller and be done with it.

I thought that engines with flat tappets only needed elevated ZDDP levels during initial break-in and that the levels available in modern oils was sufficient for continued operation. Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary?