Hy-Per lube oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately both the cold start piston slap and very slight valve train noise warmed up are exactly the same to my ear. I'm still glad that it's supposed to help activate the zddp at colder temps since I short trip this car every day (6-7 minute drive to work in town). So even though it sounds the same, wear could potentially be lower. At the price I paid I won't be trying it again though, since I was mainly hoping it would quiet the piston slap.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Unfortunately both the cold start piston slap and very slight valve train noise warmed up are exactly the same to my ear. I'm still glad that it's supposed to help activate the zddp at colder temps since I short trip this car every day (6-7 minute drive to work in town). So even though it sounds the same, wear could potentially be lower. At the price I paid I won't be trying it again though, since I was mainly hoping it would quiet the piston slap.

Unfortunately piston slap is not going to be quieted with an oil additive, that has been discussed many times before here. Valve train noise perhaps if it is a sticking lifter that gets cleaned up. That can take thousands of miles, so it might still happen. Good luck.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Unfortunately piston slap is not going to be quieted with an oil additive, that has been discussed many times before here. Valve train noise perhaps if it is a sticking lifter that gets cleaned up. That can take thousands of miles, so it might still happen. Good luck.

I kind of doubt it will get any better. I switched it to synthetic 10 years ago and when I bought it he said that the mechanic said it had a lifter noise, I had to really listen for it (barely audible) so I wasn't concerned. Now 70k miles later it's basically the same, maybe a decibel louder. The piston slap developed around 5 years ago. I think one of my ex's drove the [censored] out of it cold and that might have something to do with it.

I agree it may well help with a stuck lifter.... Or valve train noise.,. I actually just added 6 ozs of this Hy per lube to the lady's Camry yesterday. It does help quiet the valve train noise on that 2.2 L motor.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I agree it may well help with a stuck lifter.... Or valve train noise.,. I actually just added 6 ozs of this Hy per lube to the lady's Camry yesterday. It does help quiet the valve train noise on that 2.2 L motor.

I heard people echo your comments. I think where the product "might" really shine is in vehicles which sit for long periods of time, as in weeks w/o being used. The "esters" in the product "might" have some benefit, more benefit in some oils than others in keeping a nice film of oil on engine internals vs. oil alone, in vehicles which are not driven that often.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by bbhero

I heard people echo your comments. I think where the product "might" really shine is in vehicles which sit for long periods of time, as in weeks w/o being used. The "esters" in the product "might" have some benefit, more benefit in some oils than others in keeping a nice film of oil on engine internals vs. oil alone, in vehicles which are not driven that often.

Another option not mentioned here is Lubegard Biotech Additive.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by mctmatt
Hy-Per Lube also has another additive called Oil Treatment that you can add in place of a quart of oil when you change it. Does this additive provide any real benefit as the above product for a daily driver as I have a 96 Ford Taurus that runs great, and I use it to and from work 12 miles one way with half being at least in stop and go traffic here in Austin TX. I change every 5,000 miles as it is easy to keep up with those intervals.

No, that product is solely an oil thickener, is only good for smokers, and has no place in well maintained engine that has used modern oils.

I just used this on my truck tonight, 1QT Hyper Lube to 6QTS Castrol Edge.

Will it mess up my truck? Should I drain it the minute I get to work later today?

Truck has 103K miles, no oil leaks or burning/usage. Very well maintained but did add to try and quiet a small tick I had been hearing

Truck used BG MOA multiple times in the past without issue.

Thank you

Originally Posted by Deliverance95345
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by mctmatt
Hy-Per Lube also has another additive called Oil Treatment that you can add in place of a quart of oil when you change it. Does this additive provide any real benefit as the above product for a daily driver as I have a 96 Ford Taurus that runs great, and I use it to and from work 12 miles one way with half being at least in stop and go traffic here in Austin TX. I change every 5,000 miles as it is easy to keep up with those intervals.

No, that product is solely an oil thickener, is only good for smokers, and has no place in well maintained engine that has used modern oils.

I just used this on my truck tonight, 1QT Hyper Lube to 6QTS Castrol Edge.

Will it mess up my truck? Should I drain it the minute I get to work later today?

Truck has 103K miles, no oil leaks or burning/usage. Very well maintained but did add to try and quiet a small tick I had been hearing

Truck used BG MOA multiple times in the past without issue.

Thank you

I don't know if it's necessary to drain it immediately but I'd probably change it out sooner to put just oil in, or oil and the better hyper lube stuff from the original post. Maybe an early change will help the tick anyway.

I can't say I notice a difference in my engine noise but if anyone is interested I made a cold start piston slap video today and compared to a video from this winter before adding the hyper lube and another video from 4 years ago when it was -30 celcius. Not apples to apples but fun to hear a carbureted engine start at that kind of temperature anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back