Hy-Per lube oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well roll with it then
smile.gif

Nothing wrong at all with running a monograde oil. I may well do that this summer in the lady's Camry. I did it last summer and it did very good on it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well roll with it then
smile.gif

Nothing wrong at all with running a monograde oil. I may well do that this summer in the lady's Camry. I did it last summer and it did very good on it.
\
Runs well in my beater smooth and quiet oil consumption is down but i did add 1 bottle of schaeffer's #132 moly ep.
Fuel economy is a little better maybe .2-.4 mpg BUT that might be because the fuel stations have switched back to summer blend.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
any problem using the whole bottle with 5 qts of oil?

One has to not overtreat as it could compete with the ZDDP AW additive.

At 1 oz per quart, it is synergistic with ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

MolaKule: thoughts on timing chain protection?

Interested as well Molakule. Is there a paper I can read on this tech? Thanks for your expertise.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

No more or no less effective than ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

No more or no less effective than ZDDP.

Are there any negative ramifications to the life expectancy of catalytic converters (and/or oxygen sensors and other emission system components) like there are with ZDDP?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Are there any negative ramifications to the life expectancy of catalytic converters (and/or oxygen sensors and other emission system components) like there are with ZDDP?
Nope. It's the phosphorus in ZDDP that fouls catalysts, and polymer esters don't have any.

Generally speaking, is this product better used in oils with Zinc and Phosphorous levels less than 1,000 ppm? Don't want to compete with Zinc if the host oil has "adequate" amounts. Appreciate the discussion and advice.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Generally speaking, is this product better used in oils with Zinc and Phosphorous levels less than 1,000 ppm? Don't want to compete with Zinc if the host oil has "adequate" amounts. Appreciate the discussion and advice.
Hyper Lube ZRA is still effective in high-ZDDP oils. Its due to the lowered temperature of activation of the protective tribofilm, reported by:
http://vento.com.vn/docs/en/Surfactants/Lubricant additive/Lubricant Additive.pdf
... and in JAG's reference:
Originally Posted By: JAG
I use it too. Polymer esters are fascinating.
https://books.google.com/books?id=9YXRBQ...ear&f=false

Basically, ZDDP alone in oil needs a lot of heat and pressure to activate, and polymer esters help out by starting to work at colder temperatures, like during the important engine start-up phase.

One has to not overtreat as it could compete with the ZDDP AW additive. At 1 oz per quart, it is synergistic with ZDDP.

Thank you oil_film_movies. I was just about to post the link you did. It shows benefit with an API SH additive package (rich in ZDDP) and with an oil with only 500 PPM of phosphorus from ZDDP. In my earlier link that you also posted, the oil had 1% ZDDP. My opinion is if you don’t mind the cost of this additive, use it, regardless of how much ZDDP is in your motor oil.

Picked up some Hyper Lube ZRA today. Will run it next OCI with PUP 5W20...will get a UOA with PUP 5W20 (current run) without any additives...then will UOA with Hyper Lube ZRA for fun. Thanks for the additional links.

Quote:
Basically, ZDDP alone in oil needs a lot of heat and pressure to activate, and polymer esters help out by starting to work at colder temperatures, like during the important engine start-up phase.

Yes, but a ferrous-phosphate surface film had formed during the previous engine operation.

Take a cold engine on start-up. There are localized surface pressures high enough to heat the oil film instantaneously.

Should be:

Quote:
Take a cold engine on start-up. There are localized surface pressures high enough to heat the oil film instantaneously when the engine starts rotating AND when the oil film starts to shear.

I.e., both radial pressures and film shear give rise to localized oil heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back