How weird is this- I enjoy watching Lawernce Welk video's on youtube early Sunday mornings

I remember Lawrence Welk. Nothing wrong with appreciating nice music and a wholesome theme. I was fairly young back then so at the time it wasn't my style.....but I could watch it now.

Reactions: GON
Memories....
I ain't no LW. Fan but as a young kid like 7 years old I used to sit with my lonely widow neighbor who was all alone and over 85 then.
We watched it and she treated me like gold.
I still remember that kind soul.

My neighbor just turned 80 and he told me he is at the age where nobody cares or even tried too. I get it and that is why I sat with the lady above.

Today you can be in that same boat at half the age.

Memories....
I ain't no LW. Fan but as a young kid like 7 years old I used to sit with my lonely widow neighbor who was all alone and over 85 then.
We watched it and she treated me like gold.
I still remember that kind soul.

My neighbor just turned 80 and he told me he is at the age where nobody cares or even tried too. I get it and that is why I sat with the lady above.

Today you can be in that same boat at half the age.
In my opinion we treat our elderly very poorly in the U.S. In many countries families take care of them in the home....but here we often relegate them to an assisted living facility.

341849191_791249762370660_6527695766088284490_n.jpg

Like many have said.. it reminds me of my Grandma. she watched every week...
My local PBS still plays them on... either sat or sun night....when we're trying to find something after the national news, I always suggest it... to an almost unison "NO!" from my Mom, Dad, and Older Brother.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
In my opinion we treat our elderly very poorly in the U.S. In many countries families take care of them in the home....but here we often relegate them to an assisted living facility.
even that is better than it used to be.... Mom's told the story of her family driving cross country in the mid-late 50's, (Her Parents were Missionaries, they were coming back from "the Field" came across Europe, flew into New York, where someone from the Church had arraigned a car for them to drive across the US back home to ID)
on they way west, they stopped in Cushing, OK, where her Dad was born, to visit her Great Grandpa.

she Describes the place he was living as little more than a shack/Barn in somebody's yard filled with Cots and a bunch of Old men in their undies (Middle of summer in OK, pre-widescale A/C)

Maybe it is a yerning for America of old, or a escape from today's music, but early on Sunday mornings in the Winter, I enjoy watching Lawrence Welk videos on youtube. If this was summer, I would be outside doing something before church.

Lawrence Welk (March 11, 1903 – May 17, 1992) was an American accordionist, bandleader, and television impresario, who hosted the The Lawrence Welk Show from 1951 to 1982. His style came to be known as "champagne music" to his radio, television, and live-performance audiences.

Welk was born in the German-speaking community of Strasburg, North Dakota. He was sixth of the eight children of Ludwig and Christiana (née Schwahn) Welk, Roman Catholic ethnic Germans who emigrated in 1892 from Odessa, Russian Empire (now Ukraine).

Maybe some of us long for our youth, or a time of more "work hard and then relax some". I don't know, but I do enjoy Mr. Welk's shows on youtube. A little piece of positiveness, rest and relaxation in today's world.

View attachment 136667
I'm so turned off by any new movies or TV shows. No storyline, no cohesian.

My TV watching is almost exclusively all the old TV shows from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's from various sources.
While the rest of the country is cutting the cord due to how new TV shows are so bad,
I've chosen to to be in a time warp in a time period where TV shows are of my liking.

Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Hart to Hart, Barretta, Dukes of Hazzard, Chuck Norris movies, etc.
There is so much to explore and discover in the past.

Back