How to orient magnet on flywheel for magneto?

Friend has a mid 80s kawasaki mule. One of the magnets that attaches to the flywheel for the magneto broke off. Some new magnets were bought. One magnet has a green painted side and the other magnet has a red painted side. Anyway that just designates polarity. I want to know how do i determine which magnet to use as the replacement?
3621974E-9F03-4CF1-9301-F7A7A4A832A9.jpeg
690FA703-91AA-4561-BAC9-FE7C5DEB8A7C.jpeg

Use the magnet to see what all the others are. They should all be polarized the same direction, so you should be able to figure it out by how they attract or repel the new one.

Use a small magnet to probe. Mark one side of your small magnet. It should be attracted to one end of the green magnets and repelled by the same end of red magnets. Then you can identify the ones still in place as green or red.

Ordinarily the two kinds of magnets would be alternated around the flywheel. But here there is an odd number of magnets.

Use the magnet to see what all the others are. They should all be polarized the same direction, so you should be able to figure it out by how they attract or repel the new one.
That’s where the issue lies. If we go around the flywheel clockwise the first two magnets are opposite of the second two. So let’s say the first two repel on the ends and attract in the middle then magnets 3-4 attract on the ends and repel in the middle.

Use a small magnet to probe. Mark one side of your small magnet. It should be attracted to one end of the green magnets and repelled by the same end of red magnets. Then you can identify the ones still in place as green or red.

Ordinarily the two kinds of magnets would be alternated around the flywheel. But here there is an odd number of magnets.
In the flywheel two of the old magnets right next to each other act like the green and the other two magnets act like the red.

This is how the current magnets are setup with north and south and i cant figure out any pattern or how this would generate voltage when spinning across the stator. i thought the poles of the magnets next to each other were supposed to be opposite.
imagejpeg-1.JPG

Back