How to extract DVD audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been editing audio for awhile, now learning video. Been recording OTA football on to a HD, removing all commercials, transferring to DVD-R and finalizing so it'll play on other players. Got that all figured out and works great.

Now I want to extract the audio only and convert to mp3 or WMA or other format compatible with my Sansa Clip and/or ipod shuffle. I realize the ipod may not play mp3 or wma, but aac instead.

Program recommendations to do this?

I can take the video files from my Kodak camera, think they are .wav and just rename them .wma and they play fine. There is a free download program AudioExtractor that may be able to do this conversion for you also. It can convert bewteen various audio formats including AAC, wma mp3 and many others. I also like that it is a stand alone program, that is it does not have to copy junk onto your computer and reboot to install. Just click and go.

Hard to say, I've used VirtualDub before to load up AVI/MP4/MKV files, then went to audio to manually extract the uncompressed .WAV files. You end up with a multi-gigabyte file for most things which you can then pump into whatever encoder you want to re compress it; in my case I used foobar2000 with a Nero AAC encoder to get actually manageable file sizes.

But its less then optimal and certainly not a once click operation, let alone the fact that VirtualDub, sometimes, has issues with input video files just because of the huge variability in compression techniques.

I found multiple instances of "DVD audio ripper" which all seemed to be the same size, for the same price (~$30), and had similiar GUI's.

Some freeware as well, but not very good reviews.

Then noticed that Audacity has been updated since my older version. Noticed this in facts:

Import and export AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA with the optional FFmpeg library (this also supports import of audio from video files).

So I upgraded Audacity, installed FFmpeg, and clicked on the dvd file. It finished within a few minutes and now I'm listening to the game on Audacity! With it I can now easily export it as mp3, wma, aac, etc. so I think I found it.

Now I can load it into the Clip, hook it up to the garage stereo, and play football sans commercials while working in the garage!

Football audio nervana . . . . .

BTW, I also used Audacity to record football games played on the radio to the HD, edited out the commercials, then exported as mp3 or wma for the same use.

Noticed that for college games in particular, the local sports guys know the teams much better and the radio broadcast has far fewer commercials. It's often ahead of what's being played on TV!

open a CMD window and go to the dvd drive, let's call it F:

F:
cd video_TS
dir
copy /b vts_01_1.vob + vts_01_2.vob + vts_01_3.vob C:\yourfile.mpg

(assuming there are three VOBs, you can have up to five)

Then use your favorite audio editing software, it is usually smart enough to open the .mpg file and ignore the video.

If it's not, get FFMPEG somewhere and find a tutorial on how to use it to split the video from the audio.

OK, I exported it as a wma, then loaded it into the Sansa and now it's playing hooked up to the radio. Cool.

I need to get a cheap DVD player for the garage that will play CD's in MP3, WMA, etc. formats so I can just burn this to a disk.

The old Sony CD carousel I'd been using in the garage finally went Tango Uniform. It had been in there about 12 yrs or so. A neighbor threw it in the trash, I adjusted the tracking, and got it working. Should have seen the look on his face when he saw it in my garage working!

Another free or cheap one will be easy to find.

Been a goal of mine to get this all figured out and check it off the list. I'm finally there!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I need to get a cheap DVD player for the garage that will play CD's in MP3, WMA, etc. formats so I can just burn this to a disk.

Or just buy a cheap portable MP3 player. Alternatively, if you have a smartphone, you already have a built-in MP3 player. I typically convert stuff to AAC format for portable use - smaller file size, yet still very respectable sound quality.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Or just buy a cheap portable MP3 player. Alternatively, if you have a smartphone, you already have a built-in MP3 player. I typically convert stuff to AAC format for portable use - smaller file size, yet still very respectable sound quality.

No smartphone for me..yet. The sled's audio system won't recognize data CD's unfortunately, nor MP3's on CD. Too old for that. I'll have to play around with writing a straight PCM audio CD and try that.

Having a cheap player that'll handle MP3 CD's in the garage would be a step-up as the MP3 format holds so much more than straight PCM. Unfortunately, the car won't play them. Currently I'm using a cassette with an 1/8" plug that'll hook up to the Sansa to play football in the car. Not ideal, but it works.

Finally I had a neighbor come over, then pause, then ask..."How'd you do that?" I had the Ravens vs. Patriots playing in the garage...and he noticed there was no commercials.

Music to my ears. . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back