How reliable is the 5.7 Hemi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: USA1
BTW the Ram has IRS, not to be found on any other pickup truck. Rides and handles like a car. Efficient and torquey diesel power to boot.

The Ram does not have IRS. It has a coil spring rear suspension, but it is still a solid axle.

Oh yeah, and holy OLLLD thread Batman!!
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
I have 2 friends who own 09 Chrysler 300's with the 5.7 Hemi...Both cars have about 30K miles on them now and they have no issues with them...I did have friends who owned 06&07 Chargers and they had a ton of issues with the Hemi.

I'm about the least brand loyal person you'll find. I just bought a new Dodge. I went into it wanting the GM but I also drove the Ford and the Toyota. The Toyota's ergonomics were awful (same as my 94 Corolla), the Ford was underpowered, the GM was high priced for what I wanted, and the Dodge fit the bill almost perfectly for what I do with it. First year of Mercedes influence on the interior, it's well designed and thought out.

And as an owner of many, I call [censored] on Japanese vehicles needing less repairs. In the 80's I switched from all domestics to all imports (Honda and Toyota) and while I wanted to drink the kool aid, I found they broke just as often as the domestics did.

Don't have enough miles to tell you longevity of the 5.7, but with VVT and cylinder deactivation, it's a powerful beast with great fuel efficiency for a full size half ton truck.

Originally Posted By: buster
We know it has power, but I'm weary of buying a Dodge. If I do buy a Ram this fall, I'd like to know how reliable these engines are before doing so. Anyone know or have a lot of miles on one yet?
smile.gif

My friend test drove a Hemi Challenger last week and it was pretty weak. The engine was loud so people think you're fast but you get passed by Civic and Fit from 0-30 mph.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
most 5.7's are a rock.

Very few issues really. A lot of Chrysler problems are dealer problems.

Please explain because I think I agree with you.

The new Eagle 5.7 VVT motor is a torque MOUNTAIN, running low thirteens in an LX/LC with a good driver STOCK!

Sounds like someone's 'butt dyno' needs recalibration.

And Chrysler suffers from the worst dealers in the world. Their tech has now advanced to where the dealer can't fix the cars. And doesn't care.

Just a few months ago we replaced the cam in a 2005 5.7 Magnum. 150k miles and the whole engine was sparkling clean and [censored] near brand new inside!

This car has a ton of time at the strip running a 125 shot!

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

My friend test drove a Hemi Challenger last week and it was pretty weak. The engine was loud so people think you're fast but you get passed by Civic and Fit from 0-30 mph.

Sorry but B S!

I have had 2 5.7L's = 2004 Ram 1500 and current 2008 Ram 1500. The engines have been 100% trouble free.

I put >60K miles in my 5.7 Hemi Durango with no issues. This was one heavy car that did hard towing up lots of mountains on the west coast. Never a service issue with the powertrain. Got 20MPG with 4-people in it on the freeway when not towing. Guy who owns it now is close to 100K with no issues. 5K oil changes with Mobil 1 when I had it. Wish I got this kind of reliability with my 360 LA motor and trans in my 70K mile Dakota.

I Did not even hesitate on getting a 5.7 in my Challenger. Too bad the car is overweight.

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi and before that I had a 5.9 (360) and I know what you mean, I didnt want to part with it. That Hemi is a impressive beast. It pulls a trailer like there was nothing back there, I checked the weight last time I took it and I was grossing with the truck on the scales at 15,780 lbs. My fuel mileage sucks, only about 12 around town and about 8 pulling the trailer. 3/4 tons dont have a cylinder deactivation. 28,000 miles and no problems with it. I even put it under water once and it restarted on its own and blew water out the pipe for about a half hour, I am not joking. They are a tough motor with tons of power, Id buy another.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have had 2 5.7L's = 2004 Ram 1500 and current 2008 Ram 1500. The engines have been 100% trouble free.

I bought my 2004 Ram 1500 hemi with 52k on it 2 years ago.
Solid as a rock and only had to replace a egr valve (quick
10min fix). Got almost 90K on it now.
Got it dirt cheap when gas was 4bucks. Very happy with it.
our local Toyota dealership has stacks of frames in their back
parking area. I'm mean a lot of new frames. I asked a friend
that works there (jokingly) if they are building trucks there?
He told me the frame on many tacomas are rusting very
quickly. I'm happy to have twice the truck at 1/3 the price.
People knock American cars for fast depreciation. I don't
buy new cars anymore so I love the quick depreciation.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Sorry but B S!

I drove a friends Hemi Challenger this afternoon for about 50 miles on I-95 and it was far from weak.

Originally Posted By: USA1
BTW the Ram has IRS, not to be found on any other pickup truck. Rides and handles like a car. Efficient and torquey diesel power to boot.

The Ram doesnt have IRS...just coil springs with a solid axle.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi and before that I had a 5.9 (360) and I know what you mean, I didnt want to part with it. That Hemi is a impressive beast. It pulls a trailer like there was nothing back there, I checked the weight last time I took it and I was grossing with the truck on the scales at 15,780 lbs. My fuel mileage sucks, only about 12 around town and about 8 pulling the trailer. 3/4 tons dont have a cylinder deactivation. 28,000 miles and no problems with it. I even put it under water once and it restarted on its own and blew water out the pipe for about a half hour, I am not joking. They are a tough motor with tons of power, Id buy another.

I actually had 2 Ram 1500's with the 5.9L( 360 ). Had a 97 and a 2001. Good motor and they were very good trucks for me but the 5.7L gets better MPG and has so much more power it is not funny. If I have a bad thing to say about the 5.7L it is the MDS on my 08. Useless and hate the way it makes the truck sound( and feel - feels like a plug is fouled - slight vibration unless 45MPH + )when it activates. My 04 actually got slightly better MPG without MDS. Not a fan.

My 07 Silverado with the 5.3L had GM's version of MDS( AFM )and that was 100% seemless. You would not be able to tell it was on unless you put the dash display on to see. LLike the MDS in my Ram however I saw no MPG improvement from it vs an 05 5.3L Silverado I had. I don't think these cylinder deactivation concepts actually work as advertised.

Last edited:
THe 5.9 is a good proven engine, albeit it is old design and the only weakpoint is the bellypan gasket.

THe new hemi is actually on 2 yrs old with the Eagle Design 2009+. On Challenger Talk they are dynoing about 365 WHP and 380sh WTQ. I believe some are getting 27to 28 mpg on highway trips in a 4000 lb car, that is pretty good.

I think they may have had some valve spring issues on the older 2005 hemi but they have updated the springs in 2006 and up.

My brother just ordered an RT Classic, cant wait for it to come in. He got the 6sp, Super Track pack, can turn the ESP off with the 392 gears, only problem I see in his future is tire smoke and rubber marks :)

Move to "humor" section. That's the best one I've heard for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back