How old is to old for new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a auction for BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil and the papers with the oil say its good for 20 years. Oil made in 2012 and the expiration is 2032 for the oil(55 gal. drums).

So BMW thinks oil last for some time, much longer than I would have thought. Good to see a company put it in writing.

ROD

Blackstone tested some 50-year old (or thereabouts) oil at one point. It appeared to be fine.

It's funny these BMW oil (Castrol) drums are going up for auction, now that BMW North America changed suppliers to SOPUS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Blackstone tested some 50-year old (or thereabouts) oil at one point. It appeared to be fine.

It's funny these BMW oil (Castrol) drums are going up for auction, now that BMW North America changed suppliers to SOPUS.

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I say hop on it. Probably be good to roll it around first in case anything settles which it mostly likely did.

i use 27 year old oil in all my new cars, we have hundreds of cases here at the engine shop. (Mobil One) private use only, never to customers, No problems what so ever, Oil can be used if unopened for a long time into the future. I laugh when people say it has a shelf life.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
i use 27 year old oil in all my new cars, we have hundreds of cases here at the engine shop. (Mobil One) private use only, never to customers, No problems what so ever, Oil can be used if unopened for a long time into the future. I laugh when people say it has a shelf life.
Let me know if you guys ever want to sell any, those were the days of the GOOD STUFF! I'll even sign a waiver!

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429

How far r u from me???

Petro-Canada says base stocks will last indefinitely if stored properly. Finish oil has to be kept out of direct sunlight and not frozen or it's down to about 5 years, or there a bouts...

If it was 55 gallon drums, I'd say good for that 20 years and maybe 20 more
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I don't see how it can go bad. Oil doesn't break down until it's put in and ran in an engine. It can sit in bottles for years and never go bad. Only thing you'd have to watch out for is the SAE ratings and certifications change over time. I've got several cases of old Havoline oil from the 80's that could never be used in my 2004 Tacoma because it's not current on specs and ratings for that new of an engine. Works great for my old 1979 Toyota Pickup though and my lawnmower. Oil comes out of the ground, where it's sat for millions of years, if it can survive that long underground, I'm pretty sure it can survive just as long above ground just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back