How often to get up to operating temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
My daughter short trips around town in the 02 Xterra likely never above 50 mph and not more than 5 miles away. SIL drive 8 miles to work each way in the 15 CX-5. They really don't travel much. How often should they get out for a 30 minute drive (at least) to get the cars fully warmed up to temp?

Once a week. Highway, 15-20 minutes out, 15-20 minutes back. Reward them with approving of a short shopping excursion when their task is complete. Only way it works
smile.gif

This is a great use case for something like a used Chevy Volt! They'd never use gas or worry about getting up to temp.

Never thought I would see the day, but I now find myself in the same circumstance. Since retiring, our single car only sees action 2 maybe 3 days a week. Most trips are 5 miles or less. We made a list of sightseeing destinations in the area and once or twice a month we pick one out and go. These trips end up being anywhere from 100 to 300 miles in length. Hopefully this will be enough. It's an odd situation to be in. The neighborhood is very walkable with grocery store, bank, barber, parks and hiking trails all in easy walking distance. But...still gotta have a car. I'll probably end up with a Prius at some point, lol!

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
Never thought I would see the day, but I now find myself in the same circumstance. Since retiring, our single car only sees action 2 maybe 3 days a week. Most trips are 5 miles or less. We made a list of sightseeing destinations in the area and once or twice a month we pick one out and go. These trips end up being anywhere from 100 to 300 miles in length. Hopefully this will be enough. It's an odd situation to be in. The neighborhood is very walkable with grocery store, bank, barber, parks and hiking trails all in easy walking distance. But...still gotta have a car. I'll probably end up with a Prius at some point, lol!

Been retired for nine years but still drive about 20K miles a year. Lots of vacations. My girlfriend never takes her car on vacations and I'm a bit worried that she doesn't get it warmed up enough although she does drive about thirty miles at least once a month.

It's a machine. Just drive it. If the miles are low, adjust OCI to suit.

Don't make them go out of their way to please the machine...

Originally Posted by gathermewool

+1

Just drive it and change the oil twice a year. No need to modify driving habits. With the additional risk and expense of the unnecessary milage you could just change the oil.

Test the coolant and batteries every 6 months and replace when weak.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I heard a cool term for this on a podcast. "humans are the reproductive organs for machines"
Don't be

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

I heard a cool term for this on a podcast. "humans are the reproductive organs for machines"
Don't be

I thought I was a mechanic, but now I'm not sure ...

In the case of my Rubicon, every time I drive it. My wife's Liberty, 3-4 times a week. My van once every month, sometimes once every other month.

It's surprising how long it takes for some of these engines to get warm. I've driven the mazda for 8 miles 60mph , out of od on a 50f degree day. Came straight home and put it on the ramps. The oil was not too hot on my hands! So it takes longer to really get the oil hot, especially in the winter!

So some think it's OK to never get the oil hot and everything up to full temp to evaporate moisture? That's contrary to popular thinking.

Can't express how helpful it is that you get your car up to temp every time you drive.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
So some think it's OK to never get the oil hot and everything up to full temp to evaporate moisture? That's contrary to popular thinking.

Can't express how helpful it is that you get your car up to temp every time you drive.
21.gif

There are plenty of old, low-mileage cars that still function perfectly. I'm not going to tell my great aunt Sue to drive her car more than she needs to, which is pretty much only to church and the grocery store.

Personally, I'd add a longer get-away trip to my schedule just for the sake of "burning things off" in the engine, but that's because I'm a BITOG'er...and I'm up for driving somewhere just for the sake of getting away. For the remainder of the normies out there, I wouldn't dare recommend they go out of their way for the car's sake. The only thing I will recommend, is that they change the oil more frequently and consider a plug-in smart charger.

It's not just reaching full temperature, it's running the engine after it reaches full temperature. If you're trying to counter-act the effects of short trips, you won't do any good shutting the engine off as soon as it gets hot because the oil is just starting to get warm. Regarding the oil change schedule, you can do short trips all the time but that definitely qualifies for severe service which calls for more frequent oil changes. BUT even if you follow the severe service schedule, constant short-tripping will do horrible things to your emissions system. You need to get it hot and KEEP it hot for at least 20 minutes, at least once every 2 weeks, preferably more often. My $0.02

My golf requires about 5 miles to get an oil temp in the 180+ range. It hits water temps really fast but the 6 quart sump of oil takes some time. Currently i live less than 4 miles from work so its getting some short trip abuse. oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back