How often should I regrease if I switch grease types?

If I decide to standardize on a grease that is incompatible with my current grease, how often do I need to regrease to ensure proper lubrication? I understand I shouldn't overfill the grease fittings, but that I also need to flush out the old grease. So what's the best approach? Or should I get something like the LockNLube Grease Buster and put some kind of solvent into the fitting to try and flush the old grease out?

pump to purge and then continue on with your normal schedule.

Without mechanical disassembly you will never remove all old grease and its not required and wont hurt anything

Without mechanical disassembly you will never remove all old grease and its not required and wont hurt anything
Not a mechanic, just an aficionado: what constitutes a pump to purge? Just keep putting grease in until I see new grease?

Not a mechanic, just an aficionado: what constitutes a pump to purge? Just keep putting grease in until I see new grease?

Yes because at that point the new grease has found the "path of least resistance" and that's the new flow path.

No technique will do any better without mechanical disassembly. ( that would be the next step)

A true sense of "flushing grease" simply doesn't exist because nothing will get the set or hardened grease out of the nooks and crannies or scoop out of voids/cavities except a manual cleaning.

Yes because at that point the new grease has found the "path of least resistance" and that's the new flow path.

No technique will do any better without mechanical disassembly. ( that would be the next step)

A true sense of "flushing grease" simply doesn't exist because nothing will get the set or hardened grease out of the nooks and crannies or scoop out of voids/cavities except a manual cleaning.
Thank you much!

I swapped over to marine grease a few services ago on both my 4 wheel and 2 wheel vehicles. I just did the normal in the grease fitting until the rubber boot started to expand. On my motorcycle I removed and cleaned my linkage and started fresh. So far no issues.

Back