how often do you use the sunroof on your car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several times a month when I'm driving in the evening. A great feature is a standard size but, not sure I'd want a supper large sized one. Ed

I still have flashbacks from when I owned a Mustang a with leaky T-Tops in the 80's. T-Top PTSD has prevented me from owning a vehicle with glass on top since then.

I open the shade at night and dawn/dusk but very rarely open the glass. Almost never open any windows.

I never did understand the love for them or why they're even a thing. You take precautions to keep the sun out of your eyes while you're driving and then have a pane of glass inches from your head?

Out of the 20 or so vehicles I've owned, none of them had a sunroof. However having one wouldn't necessarily prevent me from buying a vehicle provided everything else lines up.

It does seem like you don't have a choice with many vehicles depending on the option package. It's going to come with one and there's no way of getting out of it in factory form.

The Escape had a leaky sunroof and unclogging the drain tubes to fix it would have been too much effort so I pulled the fuse and ran a bead of clear silicone around the outside of the sunroof - problem solved. If I ever care to fix it, it'll be easy. That said, I never want another vehicle with a sunroof - this is the first and last, if I can help it.

Last edited:
I had a 2007 F150 King Ranch. I liked how the sunroof brightened it up inside the cab. Rarely opened it though, & when I did use it, usually just tilted the back open. It had 2 options fully open or tilt back portion up. When I was shopping for a new truck F150, I noticed the sunroof had changed to the panoramic, & thought it was overkill. Also heard many stories of the large sunroofs coming off the tracks, & leaking.

Glad I don't have one in my current truck.

I especially hate them on my track toys- it's @65 lbs added to the highest point of the car.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
most of the cars i have owned have had sunroof. mostly i had no choice as they came standard with the trim. i can say that i just never use it . So how often do you use the sunroof in your car? would you care if it was not there?

Never use it, didn't want it, but had no choice. The sun roof is a carry-over from the times before a/c, MB was the first to have it, if memory serves. Now it is completely unnecessary IMO.

Last edited:
I've hardly used the sunroofs we've had in our vehicles. I don't mind them but the wife doesn't like the sun coming in and hitting her head.

As for leaks, I've never had one leak and considering I live in the rainy PNW, that's something. Once a year I apply Gummiflege or another similar product to the seals .

most of the cars i have owned have had sunroof. mostly i had no choice as they came standard with the trim. i can say that i just never use it . So how often do you use the sunroof in your car? would you care if it was not there?

I used to crack it in the summer sun when it wasn't supposed to rain to let the cracked front windows keep some airflow into the interior and keep it cooler.

When driving at highway speeds too much wind noise for me. Rarely used otherwise except around town.

I don't have one now and only miss it when I want to put the sunshade up and crack the top to let the hot air out.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
I open it every time I clean the window or treat the rubber, so maybe twice a year.

[quote

LOL
Same here

Never use them. But every vehicle I own are top line models so they have sunroofs.

Originally Posted by Pelican

Never use it, didn't want it, but had no choice. The sun roof is a carry-over from the times before a/c, MB was the first to have it, if memory serves. Now it is completely unnecessary IMO.

How sad...no joy in experiencing life.
Mine is open almost every day its above freezing and not raining.

I assume that's meant as a joke, but in case it isn't, I'll just note that a hole in the roof does not increase my enjoyment of either my vehicles or my life.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Never use them. But every vehicle I own are top line models so they have sunroofs.

I might get a new Camaro without a sunroof.

Zero need for something that might leak and cause trouble.

I raise my moonroof whenever possible. That's most of the time here. Even with the A/C on, I prefer a bit of a fresh breeze. I don't have any allergies that might cause irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back