How often do you need new brake rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons I'm looking at a Vibe is because I owned a Matrix and loved it. The only thing I very did to it was routine maintainance, and the catalytic converter was replaced under warranty. The Vibe came off the same assembly line but seems to often sell for less just because it's a Pontiac.

Edit: turns out I was wrong about the assembly line. The Vibe was made by NUMMI in California. My Matrix was made in Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
??? Never replaced a rotor in over 700k miles.

You put 700k on a car? Surely you mean some class 8 tractor.

Originally Posted by atikovi
It's like asking when you should replace a light bulb. When it's worn out.

It was a slightly tongue-in-cheek question. I was sort of making the point that four sets in 110K miles seemed excessive to me. I've been driving since 1980 and have never replaced a rotor.

I dont think its that bad. I got my Corolla with 50k miles and it had jobber rotors on it. I have since replaced them twice. Im on my 3rd set now since owning it (who knows if the originals were swapped out too..it might be 4th or 5th set, who knows. Im at 167k miles now. The first replacement set i put on were jobbers too and i ditched them after 3 yrs when my akebono pads wore out. Since put in wagner rotors (decent quality) and bosch pads. Rotors are cheap (disposable). I will likely keep my current rotors through a 2nd set of pads but if ppl buy jobber parts, changing rotors and pads at same time isnt crazy. New rotors cost me about 120-130 tax in. Vibe will be easy to work on too...buy new pads and rotors and clean out calipers and relube. Id be more concerned with other factors if you are thinking of buying the car. Oh..and test drive it. You will likely tell if its been beaten on.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
One of the reasons I'm looking at a Vibe is because I owned a Matrix and loved it. The only thing I very did to it was routine maintainance, and the catalytic converter was replaced under warranty. The Vibe came off the same assembly line but seems to often sell for less just because it's a Pontiac.

Edit: turns out I was wrong about the assembly line. The Vibe was made by NUMMI in California. My Matrix was made in Canada.

Initially I was looking to buy a Matrix, test drove a bunch of them but none of them drove as well as the new ones i rented. I ended up buying a Corolla instead and have not regretted it. These cars are extremely easy to work on. Have you considered Corolla's? They are very identical, but Corollas might have more out there for sale, and thus be a bit cheaper too.

Last edited:
32.gif
the 4wd Vibes were made in Canada alongside the Matrices. I don't think they made a 2WD Matrix.

Shame their 5 speed stick shifts were so fragile, as the rest of the car was okay-ish.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
It sounds to me like it was either in very heavy traffic all the time or beat on, just based on clutch and brake jobs. I'd stay away.

Pretty much my thought too .

I am an old man and drive like it . Coast when I see the traffic lite ahead , on red . No point in being the first one to the red lite .

In our climate , the biggest enemy to rotors and / or drums is an air head that wears the friction material down to metal to metal .

I used to drive a 2008 Silverado company truck . At about 110,000 miles , I figured the brakes were probably in need of repair . Bought pads locally & started on the front . Turned out , the pads probably had 40% left . Rotors barely had any noticeable wear . But , I had already started . Went ahead and did both sides on the front .

Turned out , the truck had drums on the back . That turned into a project for another day ( had to take the pads back & exchange then for shoes for the rears ) .

Truck had around 160,000 miles on it , with those new pads / shoes , when it was hit & totaled .

I've never needed new rotors and often drive my vehicles to 125,000 miles. I believe this is the result of changing pads when down 70% or ~ 3 mm instead of waiting till the noise makers sound off. Ed

Originally Posted by supton

Two cars. See below.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I want to see who has the most miles on rear friction. Here is 140K on a Honda Insight. ...
None of the brake shoes were ever replaced on my Subaru (see below). The rear shoes were replaced maybe twice on the Mazda, at over 300k miles the first time. Pads look barely worn on the Prius.

Originally Posted by Elkins45

They are not for everyone but I think they are great cars. Very reliable, huge amount of usable cargo space with the seats down and decent gas mileage. We currently have 3 in our family (2 Vibes and a Matrix). Keep searching if your not hesitant about the one your looking at. I have seen several for sale in the Kentucky/Tennessee area over the last 4 months that had good carfax/autochecks. I personally prefer the Vibe over the Matrix. As you mentioned they typically cost a lot less and I think the styling looks better.

Ryan

Originally Posted by supton

Two cars. See below.

Putting 600k onto a car and not needing rotors = impressive. Just going 600k is impressive!

Putting 100k onto a car and not needing rotors... not sure it's all that impressive.

Car is in PA...relatively low miles too. I'd say it spent some time sitting and the rotors got rusty beyond serviceability and were replaced quite often due to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back