How often do you change your brakes and do you change pads and rotors at the same time?

Do you change pads and rotors together? How often?

• Pads - Less than 20,000 miles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rotors - Less than 20,000 miles.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thought we could get a survey to see how often people do brakes. Please add context to your poll choices.

This is essentially three polls in one.

depends on car so i selected 4 options
edit:
selected always rotors with pads.. and 3 different mileage options.

Last edited:
I have never changed brake pads or rotors to a schedule, but rather, based upon wear.

I measure brake pad thickness every 10k - 15k miles on my cars, so I can pretty well forecast when the pads will need to be replaced. When the pads are due for replacement, I'll measure rotor thickness to determine if I need to buy rotors also. But typically, rotors will outlast pads 2 to 1, sometimes even 3 to 1.

Of course a warped rotor will always mean new pads and rotors.

Hardly ever. On that last two vehicles I’ve owned one got new pads at 116,000 and the other at 90,000 something.

I occasionally will leave the rotors. Just depends on the condition. I live in the rust-belt, so after 3-5 years, rotors are getting pretty rusty so I’ll change them for the rust amount, not necessarily the wear. Rotors are pretty inexpensive so it’s not a big deal.

When they need to be replaced. Miles may not factor into the equation in certain situations.

When the pads require service. Mileage depends heavily on use and the vehicle in question - no set interval. It's been anywhere between 30,000 and 80,000 miles for disc brakes in my applications, longer on some drum setups.

Rotors everytime the pads are done - salt corrosion and relatively low replacement cost make it a no brainer on my end...

Terribly flawed poll if you don't include information about the typical distance driven and environment. Some short trips are a lot worse on brakes than others. Those who commute on the expressway could easily get 4X the brake life mileage of my secondary vehicles which are never driven more than single-digit miles per trip.

Depends on how cheap rotors are. $82 each for my Genesis for just some Centrics, when the time comes I'll probably do a pad slap. But it all depends on if they're warped.

Mileage is also irrelevant as every car is different on brakes. I had an 04' VW TDI that had the original front brakes at 175k miles, and they still had over 1/2 the pad.

Thought we could get a survey to see how often people do brakes. Please add context to your poll choices.

This is essentially three polls in one.

My Wife has driven FWD cars for quite a few years . Normally , she would get about 30,000 miles on the front , before brakes needed attention . At least 60,000 on the rears .

She is now driving a 2015 Chevy Sonic with mid 70,000 miles , purchased new . The brakes have not been touched , to this point .

I normally drive a 2006 Buick Lacrosse that we purchased used , a few years ago with 36,000 miles on it . Now , it has 50,000 something miles . I am pretty sure the brakes have not been touched , on it .

In 50 years , I do not think I have purchased more than a hand full of rotors or drums . As far as pads / shoes , I usually purchase inexpensive lifetime warranted products from a local parts store . And never have to pay for them again .

Thank God I do not live in the salt / rust belt ! :)

I have never changed brake pads or rotors to a schedule, but rather, based upon wear.

I measure brake pad thickness every 10k - 15k miles on my cars, so I can pretty well forecast when the pads will need to be replaced. When the pads are due for replacement, I'll measure rotor thickness to determine if I need to buy rotors also. But typically, rotors will outlast pads 2 to 1, sometimes even 3 to 1.

Of course a warped rotor will always mean new pads and rotors.

I guess what I meant is what do you get out of your brakes?

Terribly flawed poll if you don't include information about the typical distance driven and environment. Some short trips are a lot worse on brakes than others. Those who commute on the expressway could easily get 4X the brake life mileage of my secondary vehicles which are never driven more than single-digit miles per trip.

You're welcome to make a better one. This is just to see what people here get out of their brakes and I even said please add context.

Pads and rotors every time. Rotors rust :(

I typically only change them once during the time I have the car because I buy older cars with higher miles. They end up in the junkyard when I'm done with them.

Pads and rotors at the same time, every time.

If it needs one axle done, it gets both done. Same brand rotors on both axles, same brand pads on both axles.

Braided lines the first time and wear sensors looped.

Pads usually last me about 50,000 miles. But these Akebono Euro Ceramic is going to last 70,000 miles (with Zimmerman rotors)

Always replace rotors with pads.

Got some Brembo Xtra rotors and ordered some Centric Posi Quiet Ceramics.

Last edited:
I change pads when they show obvious signs of wearing down, and need to be changed. There's no magic number of miles involved here.

When the pads get changed, so do the rotors. I don't buy fancy rotors, just whatever AAP or O'Reilly's has on the shelf. Again, no magical mileage number involved here.

I change pads when they show obvious signs of wearing down, and need to be changed. There's no magic number of miles involved here.

When the pads get changed, so do the rotors. I don't buy fancy rotors, just whatever AAP or O'Reilly's has on the shelf. Again, no magical mileage number involved here.

So what's typical mileage for you? What conditions do you drive in? What parts do you use?

Back