How much work is it to teach new shooters?

measureman said above,
"At 18 and joined the Marine corps.....Not that hard with intense training."

True but there are some things some people (not all) will not get ever.
Driving comes to mind. Some people will never fathom momentum nor develop depth perception.

An innate sense of balance (say when placing a jack under a load) is another. Their skull drive didn't come with a "3-D card".

An artist friend of mine said, "It's the ability to see around things". This is possibly not 100% applicable to shooting but you get the idea.

Like Reply

Thanks to all of the responses. My main concern and dilemma is that i don't see them as long term gun folks. i see them as a one time is done folks as in one time to the range and they think they can learn it all . being and staying proficient in firearms requires constant training , something which i don't see them doing. my interest in firearms started almost 40 years ago , and i am still learning to this day.

i think i will take the advice and send them to get basic firearms instruction from a third party. This way they will have to take the initative on their to learn . once done I can take them if they desire further assistance .

owning firearms are a dilemma to me. many times, after seeing some folks at the range, wish there was a requirement for training to buy one. But as a supporter of the second amendment i want as few roadblocks to legal gun ownership as possible.

Thanks to all of the responses. My main concern and dilemma is that i don't see them as long term gun folks. i see them as a one time is done folks as in one time to the range and they think they can learn it all . being and staying proficient in firearms requires constant training , something which i don't see them doing. my interest in firearms started almost 40 years ago , and i am still learning to this day.

i think i will take the advice and send them to get basic firearms instruction from a third party. This way they will have to take the initative on their to learn . once done I can take them if they desire further assistance .

owning firearms are a dilemma to me. many times, after seeing some folks at the range, wish there was a requirement for training to buy one. But as a supporter of the second amendment i want as few roadblocks to legal gun ownership as possible.

If so, they certainly have a lot of company, not the first and wont be the last.

But, true or false, either way that's not within your decision rights, your personal responsibility nor should that line of thought be an influencing factor.

Not everyone who enlists becomes a career soldier but its their right.

I think you made the right call to go 3rd party

Reactions: Ws6
i have introduced a few newbies to firearms. best to start with something rimfire, and always with some quiet, calm, unloaded, classroom instruction prior to the first time at a loud, hurried shooting range, which is how i learned at a nra rifle club 50+ years ago. a heritage roughrider 22lr/wmr single action revolver is my preferred teaching handgun: slow but sure, even has a safety, by the numbers, inexpensive, nonintimidating and vaguely familiar (from cowboy flicks), ammo choice is mild to loud. if women can get over their initial fear they are fine learners. otoh one help session was enough with the blowhard husband of a cousin, it was impossible to break his bad habit of resting his finger on the trigger before he had sights on target. he is an expert sharpshooter in his own mind so he never feels the need to actually go shooting anymore, thankfully thus posing no danger to anyone.

i have introduced a few newbies to firearms. best to start with something rimfire, and always with some unloaded instruction prior to the first time at shooting range, which is how i learned at a nra rifle club 50+ years ago. a heritage roughrider 22lr/wmr single action revolver is my preferred teaching handgun: slow but sure, even has a safety, by the numbers, inexpensive, nonintimidating and vaguely familiar (from cowboy flicks), ammo choice is mild to loud. if women can get over their initial fear they are fine learners. otoh one help session was enough with the blowhard husband of a cousin, it was impossible to break his bad habit of resting his finger on the trigger before he had sights on target. he is an expert sharpshooter in his own mind so he never feels the need to actually go shooting anymore, thankfully thus posing no danger to anyone.

Yes I've seen this and its very typical!

If this is the case, then your primary focus should be SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY! If they can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside it but still manage not to shoot someone on accident, then you've achieved all you can reasonably expect to.

Reactions: Ws6
all I can add is put the target close like 5 yards, I see newbies shooting farther get frustrated. Also start with a 22 or light 38 revolver going to a glock 9 or a manly 44 just discourages them also.

Back