How much GTL in Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many oil companies are pretty fast and loose with their oil descriptions and mostly marketing phrases are employed in literature. The GTL used in some Pennzoil formulations is a huge selling point being seen as a preferred base oil. I also see some of the statistics for the Pennzoil getting slightly weaker as far as HTHS and Noack. Since bean counters run the corporate world is it feasible that Pennzoil has started to reduce the concentrations of GTL for lesser cost base oils? Don't want to start a flame war but it is somewhat strange that the SA and Noack has gone up a little while HTHS has come down slightly for the same grades of a year ago.

Originally Posted by sloinker
...I also see some of the statistics for the Pennzoil getting slightly weaker as far as HTHS and Noack. Since bean counters run the corporate world is it feasible that Pennzoil has started to reduce the concentrations of GTL for lesser cost base oils? ...but it is somewhat strange that the SA and Noack has gone up a little while HTHS has come down slightly for the same grades of a year ago.

Rather than being vague and over-generalizing, Can you show us some specific oil properties with regard to your comments?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
The SDS sheets are available at epc.shell.com

I just spent 30 mins looking through your link with no pennzoil content what so ever to be found.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe

I just spent 30 mins looking through your link with no pennzoil content what so ever to be found.

They are there but that website is really complicated. They do have the latest sheets.

Edit to add: the sheets have been posted here in the last few months. A search would bring up the threads.

Last edited:

Trya little harder for cripes sake

They are there but that website is really complicated. They do have the latest sheets.

Edit to add: the sheets have been posted here in the last few months. A search would bring up the threads.

PimTac: some folks can't be bothered. Pretty sad

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

PimTac: some folks can't be bothered. Pretty dam sad

I like to be helpful but I expect some effort from others as well.

Wait until they see that the base oil is now Interchangeable Low Viscosity.

LOL.

M1 has revolving basestocks, depending on grade.

Question.
If M1 AP and Castrol EP (Gold Bottle) both are good
for 20k mile OCI's,
just what is it that we are debating ?

A long time ago the [iOracles of Bitog][/i]
proclaimed that basestock is overemphasized.

You know darn good and well we are never going to get to
GF-6 without a magical, mysterious add pack.

grin2.gif

Yeah well I looked. I even give some time on here to no avail. Either way, it seems to be doing great in my truck. I have no complaints.

Yeah well I looked. I even give some time on here to no avail. Either way, it seems to be doing great in my truck. I have no complaints.

No complaints here either. Lots of good UOAs with it used on the site.

They're there. Just make sure you toy around with their search engine carefully, and spelling does matter. Personally, I see much ado about nothing. There's been some tweaking for dexos1 Gen 2, but that's no surprise. HTHS of ILSAC lubes has always been minimised, so any lowering we might be seeing is hair splitting. "ILSAC lubes have low HTHS" isn't exactly a big reveal here.

Ford 5.0 calls for 5w20 but pennzoil is reccomending 5w30. I know it wont hurt, just wondering if they did this for a reason because im running their 5w20...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back