How much attention do you pay to the brand of serpentine belt?

This is for a 2003 Buick LeSabre...Advance Auto (locally) has Driveworks yet I'm seeing Amazon and Ebay has Bando and Pronto brands, for $7-8 cheaper. Thoughts?

I run a blower with one so slip is a big deal. I've had the best service from gates fleet (green ones) and goodyear gatorbacks, it has a gotorback on it right now.

How attention do I pay to the brand of the serpentine belt? ZERO. They have to meet industry standards, you'll sell the car before that belt wears out again.

How attention do I pay to the brand of the serpentine belt? ZERO. They have to meet industry standards, you'll sell the car before that belt wears out again.
Honest question - what industry standard ? Only one I've ever heard is related to measurements of the belts.

Can't go wrong with Gates belts. Continental has supposedly taken over Goodyear's belt business so they are up there. I've had mixed luck with Dayco, some have been great and some have been very stiff and squealed like crazy. Bando 'sounds' chintzy but they are a big OEM supplier so they are quality.

I'm curious who make the Driveworks belts.

I like the Goodyear (now Continental) Gatorback. It's aggressive rib pattern is more tolerant of worn/misaligned pullies compared to other belts I've used.

Can't go wrong with Gates belts. Continental has supposedly taken over Goodyear's belt business so they are up there. I've had mixed luck with Dayco, some have been great and some have been very stiff and squealed like crazy. Bando 'sounds' chintzy but they are a big OEM supplier so they are quality.

Bando is a top shelf belt.

I like Bando. They make a lot of the Japanese OE belts.

I like the Goodyear (now Continental) Gatorback. It's aggressive rib pattern is more tolerant of worn/misaligned pullies compared to other belts I've used.

They stopped making the Gatorback last year :cry:
But I agree, they're awesome belts. I got one of the last Continental Elite belts for my car when I needed it. Continental Elite was the name they used when they rebranded the Gatorback.

I also got to use the new Conti OE Technology belts that uses the regular straight ribs, and there's nothing wrong with that one, either, but it's still sad to see the polycogs go.

I think they are made by Dayco. I recall someone on here using one, and it was made in Italy. Dayco bought out Pirelli's belt business some time ago.

I just replaced the PS and alternator belts on our original '98 Accord 4 banger. Bando was priced right and worked as well as any.

Gates, Dayco, Bando, and Continental now dominate the global market with nearly all OE belts being made by one of the four. Like others have said Goodyear belts was purchased by Continental and Bando is a proper Japanese supplier. Just buy a regluar belt from one of those comanies and don't get sucked into buying one of their premuim or elite belts.

I use Gates and Bando. Gates does have two quality levels, so does Conti(Goodyear) and Dayco.

I’ve been turned off by Dayco since the Kragen days, Toyota does use them as OEM. Dayco bought out the belt and hose division of Pirelli decades ago.

None. I buy OEM if it lasts 100k miles. If it doesnt, I find a forum specific to the vehicle, and buy what others use since it's a common failure point apparently, and I figure by now they've figured out the best substitute for oem.

1: OEM
2: Continental
3: Gates
4: Go back to 1.

Most OEM brands provide real quality parts that you won't ever go wrong with. Understandably, you may not want to pay the price for OEM to put on an 17 year old car. But I still wouldn't put an unfamiliar off brand on any car that someone I love drives. It's not worth the hassle of possibly leaving them stranded somewhere with a broken belt.

Back