How much attention do you pay to the brand of serpentine belt?

DAYCO W sold well to commercial accounts. driveworks forget them. we didnt sell gates but they had a decent reputation.

It's important to me. OEM from Dealer
I would not lose sleep with Bando, though.

In my experience Driveworks belts are reboxed Dayco Drive Rite belts which is their cheaper line. I've had no issues with them.
I worked at AAP for over 7 years and sold to DIY and alot of very picky commercial accounts. if i even offered driveworks to my top commercial accounts i wouldn't be selling to them period. these accounts warranted everything. The dayco W belt was preferred , but not available fpr every application. driveworks will squeal sorry. you need to feel the belt, some are really hard and just don't mold to the pulleys. when you have handled literally hundreds you can tell.

I worked at AAP for over 7 years and sold to DIY and alot of very picky commercial accounts. if i even offered driveworks to my top commercial accounts i wouldn't be selling to them period. these accounts warranted everything. The dayco W belt was preferred , but not available fpr every application. driveworks will squeal sorry. you need to feel the belt, some are really hard and just don't mold to the pulleys. when you have handled literally hundreds you can tell.

I don't think I implied that they were as good as Dayco's top of the line W belt.. I simply said that the ones I'd seen appeared to be reboxed Dayco Drive Rite belts which is their in house economy belt that lacks the W profile. Personally I've never had any issues with them. I've had good luck with Dayco, Gates and the Goodyear/continental gatorbacks. IMO if you install most any new belt and it squeals you either got one that's to long or you have some other issue.

I don't think I implied that they were as good as Dayco's top of the line W belt.. I simply said that the ones I'd seen appeared to be reboxed Dayco Drive Rite belts which is their in house economy belt that lacks the W profile. Personally I've never had any issues with them. I've had good luck with Dayco, Gates and the Goodyear/continental gatorbacks. IMO if you install most any new belt and it squeals you either got one that's to long or you have some other issue.

I am sorry that my post implied anything other than what i posted, the main point is that my commercial accounts wouldn't even speak to me if i offered drive rite.. btw i totally agree on gates and gatorback. i also pointed out the feel of the belt in your hands

They stopped making the Gatorback last year :cry:
But I agree, they're awesome belts. I got one of the last Continental Elite belts for my car when I needed it. Continental Elite was the name they used when they rebranded the Gatorback.

That's all I used until I could no longer find them no more, that explains it. I accidentally bought two for the Grand Marquis two years ago, so I have a spare. But now I just buy Mitsuboshi for everything.

Bando, Ac Delco, Dayco, Gates. The Driveworks is cheap crap, never heard of Pronto. If this is the 3.8 the Dayco W belt is the best fit.
i agree 100 % with trav, when you sell alot of parts you have to handle alot of parts to stock the store, so 2 points, my best commercial account wouldn't even speak to me if i offered anything other than dayco, with the w being preferred. i suggest feeling the belts , some are very hard if you try to flex them into a pulley shape not good, the belt tensioner can only exert so much force

Back