How many ounces of dishwasher to clean oil in cooling system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 and the coolant reservoir was full of oil sludge.

A couple of weeks ago I replace the Water to Oil cooler because it was cracked and it was allowing oil to pass to the cooling system.

We flush with water all the cooling system until clear water come out from the radiator.

A week later there is still a little oil floating in the water and grease stuck to the walls of the coolant reservoir. Check my pic.

I have flush again with water, but there is still oil floating and also is sticking to the walls of the coolant reservoir
I want to clean the entire system very well, before adding the coolant.

I have read that many people use liquid dishwasher to clean up the remaining oil residue.

How many ounces of liquid dishwasher should I add to the coolant reservoir to completely clean the residual oil that remains in the cooling system?

Thx for your time and help

Isaac

Oil grease stuck to the walls of the coolant reservoir
[Linked Image]

Cleaned after the water flush

[Linked Image]

IMG_20200125_104046.jpg

IMG_20200125_134115.jpg

Last edited:
You want automatic dishwasher soap as it doesn't sud. If you use hand dish soap the bubbles will mess your car up hysterically.

A few teaspoons ought to do it. Remember there's stuff like chlorine in there you don't want to run long-term. Do a few fresh water rinses when done.

If you can remove the reservoir, plug its openings, and shake your cleaner around, you'll get better results, but it won't be indicative of the hidden parts of the rest of your engine, radiator, etc.

Went through this on a 2017 Chevy Spark when the trans cooler in the radiator ruptured. Used half a 5 pound box of Cascade powder in 2-3 batches, then ended with Prestone 2 in 1 Flush and Oil Degreaser.

[Linked Image from prestone.com]

Originally Posted by atikovi
Went through this on a 2017 Chevy Spark when the trans cooler in the radiator ruptured. Used half a 5 pound box of Cascade powder in 2-3 batches, then ended with Prestone 2 in 1 Flush and Oil Degreaser.

[Linked Image from prestone.com]

+++1 keep the dish detergent for dishes.

I ran Dawn dish soap to clean out diesel that leaked into the coolant on my old 7.3 Powerstroke. Never did run into any problems with uncontrolled foaming. I just squirted a heavy amount and filled with water, drove it to work for 2-3 days, then drained while hot. Repeated it 4-5 times until the water didn't have a film and refilled with green antifreeze. Never did have a problem.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
I ran Dawn dish soap to clean out diesel that leaked into the coolant on my old 7.3 Powerstroke. Never did run into any problems with uncontrolled foaming. I just squirted a heavy amount and filled with water, drove it to work for 2-3 days, then drained while hot. Repeated it 4-5 times until the water didn't have a film and refilled with green antifreeze. Never did have a problem.

↑↑↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑↑↑

Did this on a 3.1 Lumina. Intake gasket leaked. Ran 2 batches of Dawn thur it with no thermostat in it, heater on high. Put hose in top of radiator and it run for 45'ish minutes while return heater was off. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
I would just get some food grade citric acid. 2 lbs should be enough for your engine. Fill with water, run at idle for 20-30 mins depending on if you remove the thermostat. Rinse, rinse and rinse again. Refill with antifreeze.

I like the simple green idea, never thought of that.

I've always used a generic equivalent of Cascade dishwasher soap, about 2-3 cups

Originally Posted by Linctex
I like the simple green idea, never thought of that. I've always used a generic equivalent of Cascade dishwasher soap, about 2-3 cups

Note that BigGeo's link is for the Simple Green Pro HD version available at Home Depot. This formula is the homeowners version of the Simple Green Aviation product that claims to be safer for metal, plastic, rubber, etc..

Guys

Thx so much for your advices. I live in Central America so I need to see what Product I find.

My Mechanic is using Formula 83 Degreaser This thing has help but I am tire of flushing this thing. I am in my 3er Flush and I want something that clean this immediately.

This saturday I will check in a hardware store to see if I find something more aggressive.

[Linked Image]

We have to remove the admission manifold (Volvo Engineering) to have access to replace the Water to Oil cooler and also I took the opportunity to put a new thermostat.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This thing was very dirty
[Linked Image]

Check where is the alternator
shocked2.gif

[Linked Image]

FORMULA 83.jpg

x THERMOSTHAT.jpg

IMG_20200118_142346.jpg

xremove manifold.jpg

alternator.jpg

In Panama, I assume P&G sells Mexican Tide or Ariel laundry detergent or you have access to a store that sells janitorial supplies. I'd run Mexican Tide or find a phosphated dishwasher detergent at a rate of 3-4oz for the cooling system capacity. Remove the thermostat and run the engine at operating temp for at least an hour. Cool down, drain, repeat until no oil residue is left. Then do a triple flush with fresh water to remove all the detergent.

The pressure cap will reduce risk of foaming up.

If it's taking a while to flush, you have oil stuck in the pores of the rubber of your hoses, and it's slowly coming out. It might be easier to change all the hoses out, but I am doubtful. Keep at it, sport!

Originally Posted by eljefino
If it's taking a while to flush, you have oil stuck in the pores of the rubber of your hoses, and it's slowly coming out. It might be easier to change all the hoses out, but I am doubtful. Keep at it, sport!

Once oil touches EPDM hoses, they are done and the swelling only gets worse to failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back