How is Pep Boys for tire insallation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Anyone have any experience with Pep Boys tire installation?

Its only $12 for mounting and balancing and $2 for a rubber valve stem.

I saw them listed on Tire Racks website as a listed installer.

Like most other places it depends on who's doing it. If the installer takes pride in his work it will be fine. If he does not take pride or is in a hurry etc it won't be good.

Like almost every other tire shop, they zip on the lug nuts with an air gun
mad.gif

Other than that, they're no better or worse than anyone else.

The only places that torque it right are DT and Walmart.

I would look for Discount Tire, if you have one in your area, Much better service. Plus they plug tires for free ! Even if not their tire, It's a courtesy seldom seen these days of Corporate Greed. They plugged my Lawnmower tire last summer.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

Costco does it the right way.

mad.gif

what is considered the right way?

Where I used to work we used torque sticks on the impacts where it was tightened initially, then a 2nd employee would torque them with a torque wrench and then initial the RO that the torque was done. and then when the customer paid for the work done they were informed that they should come back in 100 miles (they signed the notice saying this) to have the lugnuts retorqued free of charge.

where I work now (trucking fleet company) we use a 1 inch impact and socket to tighten them in a specific sequence and then torque them to 500 ft lbs. more often then not the lugnuts are not at 500 ft lbs and are brought up to 500 ft lbs with the torque wrench.

My own personal experience with PepBoys has only been mhhh. Those in my circle have not been happy and I have actually heard horror stories from them. I actually prefer Walmart.

Last edited:
I wouldn't let them touch one of my cars. Like quick service shop they might have a good tech or two, w/o knowing who they are you're subject to the luck of the draw, which is why I'd pass.

I'd observe them or the Pep Boy guy installing tires. If he looks good then ask for him to do your install. A general statement like "Never let them" Is useless to us and means nothing. Ed

In my experience/opinion they were absolutely horrible: trying to install a 15" tire on a 17" rim; torqueing wheels so tight I could not remove them with a two handed lug wrench pushing/pulling as hard as I could. Had to drive back to them to remount wheels- took 1/2 day and 30 miles of gas. Possibly damaging brake discs, too. OTH, another store was very professional and competent. Depends where you go and who is doing the work. I only go to Costco now for tires and install.

We have a small mom and pop place a few blocks from where we line . I usually use them . But the last tires I had mounted were ordered / purchased & mounted at Walmart .

So far so good . No problems , yet .

I visited a new Pep Boys which had opened years ago in Hackensack.
A seasoned "retail lady" beckoned me aside and told me it was the "worst place {she'd} ever seen".
I asked if the opening week coupons attracted cheapskates and her capacity to articulate disappeared.

Since I have other places to go I'll never find out how well levels of corporate management effect the mood of likely low paid employees.
Remember, big businesses are trained to recognize and hire semi-retarded people. Such employees are easier to handle.

Go local.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
mad.gif

what is considered the right way?

Where I used to work we used torque sticks on the impacts where it was tightened initially, then a 2nd employee would torque them with a torque wrench and then initial the RO that the torque was done. and then when the customer paid for the work done they were informed that they should come back in 100 miles (they signed the notice saying this) to have the lugnuts retorqued free of charge.

where I work now (trucking fleet company) we use a 1 inch impact and socket to tighten them in a specific sequence and then torque them to 500 ft lbs. more often then not the lugnuts are not at 500 ft lbs and are brought up to 500 ft lbs with the torque wrench.

An independent tire shop I like a lot follows the 100 mile retorque policy...unfortunately, I almost never head in their direction from home if I am not specifically visiting them so I always tell them I will most likely be doing the retorque myself. I have a decent Kobalt 1/2" drive torque wrench now that I trust well enough.
The tire shop tells me that as long as I sign the slip, the liability is on me instead of them...fine with me.

I asked them once if they sold the torque wrenches their employees use (they do have a small tool section and I bought a telescoping lug wrench from them for emergency use) and they told me that it would be crazy for me to pay that much money for a tool that I wouldn't be using all day, every day!

Originally Posted by user52165
Costco does it the right way.

Do they install tires (or sell tires) to non-members ?

I made the mistake of letting Pep Boys put my last set on. The day I had an appointment was mostly open and I arrived 15 minutes ahead of time.

They projected an hour to an hour and a half to do it, so I opted to stay there and wait instead of dropping the vehicle off. It took them over 3-1/2 hours but get this, they were mostly standing around talking and goofing off, spacing out the work to fill their empty day I suppose, or they had some policy to go extra slow if you don't buy the tires from them.

Either way, I asked if they were having problems and was told no, and they didn't seem to care a bit that I was waiting there and they weren't getting it done.

At least they didn't damage the rims but their inflation pressures were way off, two in the lower and mid 20's PSI and one 30PSI. They over-torqued 4 lug nuts by about 70%, and the rest to a minor amount, but at least none were too loose.

One of my wheels that didn't need a large balance weight when I came in, had a quite large one put on. None ofthem are vibrating but if it were me doing the balance and seeing that amount of weight, I would have rotated the tire on the rim and tried again to balance it better.

They had a TV in their lounge but it only picked up 6 OTA channels. They were out of regular coffee and only had decalf in less desirable flavors like they hadn't ordered more in a long time and what was left was just what nobody wanted to drink.

I roamed around their store several times and noticed their prices are terrible compared to amazon, but I can't compare so many items to other auto parts stores because I've never before had to roam an auto parts store for over 3 hours.

My experience could have been worse, but it would have been a lot better if they just stated it could take over 3 hours and then I would've dropped the vehicle off and picked it back up.

Last edited:
I have had Pep Boys install a few tires on a couple different vehicles of mine. The latest one they scratched the chrome whee, but how do I prove that?? I cant. So I live with it. Like what has been said, it depends on the person big time. If they take pride in their work and care, then they will do fine. Any shop you bring it to, you may find most of the crew doesn't have a passion for it, so they could possibly do damage. Large name tire stores will usually have up to date equipment and the crew does tires non stop would probably give a better chance at a good result since that is most of what they do. At pep boys, the tech may not be happy putting on tires so may do a less than stellar job. If you ahve steel wheels, who cares, the cap will cover it.. It you have nice wheels, do some research.. or tip the guy just before they do the work and let them know you are particular, but appreciate a job well done...

I bought some second hand futura tires (made by cooper then) and they were great.

PB had a starter for my 85 w250 plow truck for $27 when everyone else was $60+

Do I let them put my car on the lift? Goodness, no!

When I worked at VIP, I zipped lugs down "knowing my gun" and always got a little rotation on the torque wrench, showing it was done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back