How Fast In Reverse?

Stupid stuff I think of these days...

I was backing up today and was wondering how fast YOU could go in Reverse? Would the RPM's break...like is there a limit? Does seem to rev higher in R.

Just chattin' here...

That was a huge discussion on the Firebird/Camaro boards. Based of gear ratio a current SS should touch right about 48mph for the manual, 58 ish for the auto. I don't know anyone brave enough to try it. My Trans Am should be able to go about 50ish. 30 is all I was willing to try.

Here is a 2.0 Ford Fuzion. I never would have guessed. Spoiler 40 mph.

1) Cool enough idea but not worth a nearly 4 minute video.
2) My relative had a 1985 (?) Chrysler LeBaron and said a minus sign came on when in reverse. That'd be helpful.
3) "Frog 1" in "The French Connection" went backwards on the bridge with "Popeye" Doyle waving at him. Nifty scene

Stupid stuff I think of these days...

I was backing up today and was wondering how fast YOU could go in Reverse? Would the RPM's break...like is there a limit? Does seem to rev higher in R.

Just chattin' here...
You have successfully ruined my productivity for the afternoon
After watching the following video I am wondering about the Caprice.

Police Crown vic. Spoiler 60mph.

Last edited:
We tried it in a mid 90s Caravan in high school in a parking lot. Gets very loose above 25 mph. It’s like a forklift steering with the “rear” wheels and add the higher center of gravity of a van with the idiotic exuberance of 16 year old boys. End result is a huge spin out and we avoided hitting any other parked vehicles by some miracle. I think maybe we got to 30 before it spun. Fortunately we didn’t roll it over.

We tried it in a mid 90s Caravan in high school in a parking lot. Gets very loose above 25 mph. It’s like a forklift steering with the “rear” wheels and add the higher center of gravity of a van with the idiotic exuberance of 16 year old boys. End result is a huge spin out and we avoided hitting any other parked vehicles by some miracle. I think maybe we got to 30 before it spun. Fortunately we didn’t roll it over.
My Ex wife and I dated in high school. She had an 86 woody Caravan with the Mitsubishi 2.6 Hemi. I remember her cutting reverse donuts during a snow storm in a huge empty parking lot. I loved that van...for lots of different reasons.

If you have a DAF with Variomatic transmission it will drive in reverse just as fast as it will going forward.

The way the OP asked the question is how fast YOU can drive in reverse, not how fast can a car drive in reverse.
Above 20 mph, things get squirrely really fast, but with training you can do a lot faster.

The fastest cars in reverse were the 3 cylinder 2 stroke SAABs. You could start the motor backwards and go just a fast backwards as you could normally go forward.

I was gonna say, probably up to about 30 before any car becomes uncomfortably twitchy and ready to hit anything next to it.

There is also a difference in force between that and if you maybe had to throw your car into a "spin", or "catch" it going backwards to continue the car in a straight line if a 180 somehow occurred, to either keep control of the vehicle, or put on a show.

Keep that transmission fluid spot on for fast engagement because oh boy would you need it.

I think I remember a car and driver or motortrend article in the early 2011 called rental car olympics... google it. where they rented a Lincoln town car and got it going around 60+ in reverse as well as other shenanigans

I don't understand why this is a question. Find the reverse gear ratio, take that through your final drive ratio and tire size and then use the maximum engine speed. This is easily answered with some simple math.

Back