How do you pronounce the word Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
cah
I'm told that in NYC you 'pock the caw', but in Boston you 'pahk the cah'. My friend from Nova Scotia would 'pairk the care'.

As far as the original question, silent 'h' in vehicle, three syllables, emphasis on the first syllable. At least, that's how we hosers talk.

Depends on whether I'm typing or speaking
grin2.gif

Last edited:
In conversation I say car.

But, If i was to pronounce, I would say, "Ma'am, step out of the VE'-a-kL ...NOW!"

I am variable on Roof and Route depending on mood and time of day. Don't know why.

Honestly it depends on how fast I'm saying it. If I slow down, I pronounce the "H," if I'm going a mile a minute it gets tossed out the window

Originally Posted by BJD78
According to Cambridge the "H" is silent in US and not in UK. I can catch the meaning either way but Cambridge is the so called authority on it

You will never hear the 'H' pronounced in the UK unless someone is deliberately mimicing an American style of talking where the H is used. In fact your link takes you to pronunciations that confirm this.

I can barely tell the difference from the link one way or another,but then again I have pretty severe and constant tinnitus in both ears. I hear more people use the term "car" or "truck" much more that the term vehicle. Pretty rare in day to day conversations to hear someone use the term vehicle. When it is used, it is spoken so fast that the sharpest of ears would struggle to recall if h was silent or not

Here its usually truck or car.

I'm generally more specific if i mean my explorer thats what i call it instead of car/truck and its sounds stupid if i say im going to get my suv.

Although there are more alternatives.

When its colder outside a guy I work with always says time to go light the wagon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back