How do you and your S.O handle multiple cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I have been a 1-car household from day 1. No real room or need for another vehicle.

We moved to the smaller city she is from, where there is no public transportation, so getting around to two different shiftwork jobs is tricky.

To help with this, we were given an old car that her cousin didn't want anymore, and are in the process of fixing it up to be roadworthy.

Since this car is basically a hand-me-down from a deceased aunt of hers, I thought the extended family would appreciate it being 'her' car to get around in. When we discuss getting the vehicle on the road, I refer to it as 'her' car. She got a bit exasperated with me, and said "I don't want it to be like that, I want them to be 'our' cars. When someone is going out, they simply take whichever is first in the driveway."

Perfectly fine with me, I don't really mind what I drive. We will hang the keys by the door, and simply grab whatever can get out first, and then the other one of us takes whatever is left.

How do you handle it? Do you each have 'your' car; and only take that, or do you grab the keys to whatever can get out first? would love to hear how it works out there!

The van is "hers" and the 300 is "mine" simply because that's who primarily drives them. I work nights, she's home with the kids, and the car seats are in the van. This way she's not held hostage by my work schedule, she's free to go shopping, church or whatever.

Her Charger, but we take it if going somewhere.......heated seats help her back.
My truck. She won't drive it.
grin.gif

My Challenger R/T. Nobody drives it but me.
cheers3.gif

The keys all go in a drawer in the kitchen, we take whichever we want to drive or need utility for each trip.

My wife will not drive the WS6.
Her car is the Malibu.
My cars are the Caprice and WS6.
Truck? Mostly mine, but it is really the families.

She will drive the Caprice and truck if needed, but she likes having her own car.
I can't remember that last time I was in the Malibu.

I am in charge of all maintenance and cleaning of the vehicles.

We recently got a 2nd ride, was always a one car household. She doesnt drive much but usually take the new one most the time.

I daily drive "my" Accord and she daily drives "her" Jetta. When we go out together we almost always take the Jetta. However, we both believe that our "possessions" are each others. She prefers to drive the Jetta anyway, as it is more peppy with the 1.8 TSI.

2018: BMW X5 and VW Tiguan are our cars.
2019: Toyota Sienna is my car and VW Tiguan is her car. She absolutely refuses to drive Toyota, period.

I pay and maintain both.
Therefore I choose which she drives and what I want to drive.

She is able to drive the Lexus any time she likes.
The BMW has and always will be "my car".

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
I pay and maintain both.
Therefore I choose which she drives and what I want to drive.

She is able to drive the Lexus any time she likes.
The BMW has and always will be "my car".

Mine liked the idea of "our" cars. Truth is, she drove once X5 for two weeks when I was in Europe and she stayed with parents in Las Vegas.
I tried to convince her to trade in Tiguan for minivan, and she keeps X5, but she just refuses to get rid of Tiguan.

She keeps the grand kids car seats in her car ,the 2005 Malbu.It would to much hassel to transfer the seats to my car each time she wanted to drive it1.when we go out together i drive my Camry.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Mine liked the idea of "our" cars. Truth is, she drove once X5 for two weeks when I was in Europe and she stayed with parents in Las Vegas.
I tried to convince her to trade in Tiguan for minivan, and she keeps X5, but she just refuses to get rid of Tiguan.

The Tiguan has become our default "go to" car. It doesn't do anything great, but it does everything good so we find ourselves grabbing the keys for it. Added bonus, if it comes back with a door ding or scratch we won't cry - it's a utility vehicle. I bought a shrub at Home Depot that I swear grew 3' from the store to the parking lot. Jammed it in the back!

Well, since it's just me, myself, and I for my cars, it's easy
crackmeup2.gif

Actually my brother drives my Camry.

My Sonata is the highway cruiser and packs on all the miles.
My Jeep sees sunlight once every 2-3 weeks.

One thing you learn after 36 years of marriage. There is no such thing as, "yours", "mine", or "ours". Sure, you can think it. But don't be foolish enough to believe it holds any weight.

My wife usually drives the Equinox because it's set up for her handicapped sister to ride in. I normally drive the pickup, but when we travel we always take the pickup because we like the extra room.
She's driven the 442 a few times but prefers riding in it. Same with the T.

We have a 5 car garage, so there's never any vehicle blocking another.

Unless everything had memory seats and mirrors or you're essentially the same size, sharing cars is a massive PITA. Let alone the fade and stations on the radio.

She gets the new car, and I drive one of the trucks or the company truck.

Yes we can drive each others vehicles of course, but as a rule the Jetta is her car and the Ranger is my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back