How capable is a 2wd truck with a locker

We have been mulling over buying a pretty cheap truck 3-5,000. We don't expect perfection mind you. But we want something to pull a boat next spring and summer as well as a club cab haul around the kids vehicle ect. We do get snow but I can't use that as an excuse to buy a 4x4. The last snow storm we had I had an older beater 92 f150 and it got me home in 13 inches of snow with no weight in the back. Granted it was more driving ability than anything else and there were times I was on it sideways to make it up hills the darn thing made it home. And it made it when a ton of 4x4's were stuck. I can get a decent road worthy truck for the price in 2wd 4x4 makes it a bit harder.
So I'm considering searching out a half ton club cab and just installing a locker of sorts. I've never had a locker so I don't know personally how beneficial they are. What's your thoughts? My fear is getting stuck on a slick boat ramp or something like that.

I don't see it working on a slick steep ramp. Especially on the ocean low tide.

Depends on where you boat really but its not ideal.

UD

UD
It would just be a lake. No oceans in Missouri. Man I wish though!!

I took my grandpa's 02' Trailblazer (locking rear-end) a lot of places most people wouldn't take a 2WD. But there is a limit.

I don't have experience with boat ramps, but seeing a couple YouTube videos, it just doesn't seem worth it.

C22EB94D-A5B6-48DD-95BD-DC9BB4C24E2C.jpeg

UD

+1 Exactly! I've seen my fair share of 2WD PU trucks dragged into the channel where the boat ramp is around here on low tide. The smart 2WD owners wait for high tide to use the ramp. 4WD is much better suited for hauling a boat into and out of water, and 4L multiplies torque making hauling a big boat a lot easier, going straight up the ramp.

This woman test a new Ranger in RWD only while engaging the rear electronic locker attempting to go up a hill. She also uses 4WD.
Side note: She is tall which makes the Ranger small, is very smart and more knowledgeable of vehicles and actually knows how to
tear down and rebuild, mod an engine and an entire car for that matter than most of us guys.

OP: As for the boat launch part … suggest you decide how big the boat will be and how it rides on the trailer … and even spend some time around the ramps you are likely to use. Watch a few folks pull boats there.
I currently use ramps in 3 places and they are drastically different … one location is steep, slick, and some genius put two humps in the ramps and assumed they would correlate with all boats/trailers.
Watched some young guys try to use a Yamaha SHO to help their F150 … (I pulled them out) …
Our marina location has a progressive taper to the ramps and they keep them clean. All good.

My dad and I never had a problem with our 18' v-hull with his 2WD conversion van. It surely wasn't idea, but we never slipped or spun tires, let alone being dragged into the river. I do recall the ramps being long and I don't recall a ton of algae, so maybe we were lucky or my dad was smart when it came to ramp selection.

I grew up driving 2 wheel drive pickups, and then, as I had my 4 wheel drive F150 with an electric locker, I would pull that out when leaving from a snowy stop rather than using 4x4 and then push it back in when I was moving along. My next truck may be a 2 wheel drive with a locker just because they are cheaper.

There's a reason I went to 4wd. My S10 had a Detroit style locker and it was horrible in the snow. It was total Tokyo drift style all over the place. Hell, I even got stuck in 6" in my own driveway. Now, as far as at the boat ramp, maybe. Inclimate weather, no. I loved that little truck, but it wasn't useful in bad weather; my 4wd Tacoma has been a tank so far.

It all depends on the ramps you use, some are great for 2 wd, on others 4wd is almost required.

I had a locker on one rig, it was slightly better than an open diff.

Now I only get 4wd or Awd for launching.

The other problem with some trucks is a 2wd with a manual typically has a first gear thats far too high to pull a moderately sized boat up a ramp without slipping the clutch extensively. I had one of these, super light in the rear with a high first gear, not a good combo for traction.

My dad and I never had a problem with our 18' v-hull with his 2WD conversion van. It surely wasn't idea, but we never slipped or spun tires, let alone being dragged into the river. I do recall the ramps being long and I don't recall a ton of algae, so maybe we were lucky or my dad was smart when it came to ramp selection.

I got by with a 76 trans am for a decade with an 18ft jet boat . I picked my spots, never stuck - came close.

It honestly depends on the driver. I chose a TruTrac for my truck. An open diff was ok but having to keep using the E-brake to get unstuck was not much fun. For what you are doing a TruTrac will more than serve your needs. Best of all it is seamless on the highway and in corners.

Lockers are too much of a pain for a daily driver. And you can snap axles if you are not mindful.

It honestly depends on the driver. I chose a TruTrac for my truck. An open diff was ok but having to keep using the E-brake to get unstuck was not much fun. For what you are doing a TruTrac will more than serve your needs. Best of all it is seamless on the highway and in corners.

Lockers are too much of a pain for a daily driver. And you can snap axles if you are not mindful.
I am not familiar with that but it sounds handy I'll do a little reading on that. Thank you.

Back