How bad is lugging ?

Just lugged my engine bad, i had my music on and did not realize i engaged 3rd and not 1st at the green light, i put my foot down all the way and felt a unpleasant massage in my seat then understood. I know beginners do that all the time but this is the first time it happened to me in years of driving. Last oil change my car had 5W-30 instead of 5W-40 and i already felt bad because the weather is around 30°C and i picture an almost non existant film of watery stuff around the bearings. Is my engine dead ? Am i going to die too ? 😄

Last edited:
What you imagine and what is the actual condition may be two entirely different things.

You should be able to tell us if your engine is dead. Is it?
I can't help myself but imagine sudden scoring or worse spun bearings but i am always nervous about something...
The ecu did what necessary but don't make a habit of doing this. Are you running 87 octane?
I am running E85.

Just call me the Lug-Nut. If lugging it was going to kill the engine, I'd should be on my 25th engine by now 🤣

If you're normally flooring it in 1st from stop lights, I think that might be your bigger long-term worry here 😂

Just call me the Lug-Nut. If lugging it was going to kill the engine, I'd should be on my 25th engine by now 🤣

If you're normally flooring it in 1st from stop lights, I think that might be your bigger long-term worry here 😂
I floor it 95% of the time when accelerating since i have no power and i have to keep up with traffic. The worse are my diesel mercs, no other way than flooring them to get them out of their own way (my previous 200D needed almost 30 sec going from 0 to 60).

It doesn't do the bearings any favors. Having said that, many novice stick drivers do it a lot and the engines survive. A "thicker" oil would be of some benefit to people who lug their engines a lot.

Just lugged my engine bad [...] Is my engine dead ? Am i going to die too ? 😄

Write your will. Seriously, don't be concerned. Many an engine has been "lugged" over the years and have gone on to run many thousands of miles more.

Just lugged my engine bad, i had my music on and did not realize i engaged 3th and not 1st at the green light, i put my foot down all the way and felt a unpleasant massage in my seat then understood. I know beginners do that all the time but this is the first time it happened to me in years of driving. Last oil change my car had 5W-30 instead of 5W-40 and i already felt bad because the weather is around 30°C and i picture an almost non existant film of watery stuff around the bearings. Is my engine dead ? Am i going to die too ? 😄

Once or twice isnt going to do much if any harm, repeatedly will eventually stuff the bearings.

I am pretty sure i wouldn't be too concerned if i still had 40 or 50 weight oil in the sump but this is my first time using a 30 and it feels wrong to me even if the manual also allows it. Even knowing that this is ok for my engine i still feel like dumping a high HTHS HDEO or 50 weight just to feel good despite everything i read here about low viscosity oil and the improved fuel economy. The human mind is strange...

I am pretty sure i wouldn't be too concerned if i still had 40 or 50 weight oil in the sump but this is my first time using a 30 and it feels wrong to me even if the manual also allows it. Even knowing that this is ok for my engine i still feel like dumping a high HTHS HDEO or 50 weight just to feel good despite everything i read here about low viscosity oil and the improved fuel economy. The human mind is strange...
I thought I was nuts but you take the cake.

Is this about the E 250 TD with 480,000 km on the engine? :unsure:
The C180, the 250 was lugged to death when my mom drove it now that i think about it, 10/15k kms ocis on the cheapest dino 15W-40, never warmed up and almost no highway and still no oil burning. The only problems are a leaking radiator and a worn steering gearbox.
I thought I was nuts but you take the cake.
I guess i am way worse than what usually gives me a good laugh on here now !

Last edited:
The C180, the 250 was lugged to death when my mom drove it now that i think about it, 10/15k kms ocis on the cheapest dino 15W-40, never warmed up and almost no highway and still no oil burning. The only problems are a leaking radiator and a worn steering gearbox.

History may repeat itself. Stop lugging!

I'd like to know about the viscosity's impact on bearings when lugging occurs. For some reason when someone lug an engine it makes cringe like nothing else. Hitting potholes in second position.

Back